Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I might buy a 1961 Topps Baseball set - help please

Any 1961 collectors out there that can give me advice on any thing special I should look for?
I have been offered a complete set for $2000 that is (of course always right?) mint and from an original collector.
I am going to view the set probably in the next few days and was wondering if someone out there could share
some advice other than the obvious centering issues.

THANKS
Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Well for one 2k for a mint 1961 set is very low in price.

I'd wonder why that is so.

Good for you.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    If it's mint.... I'm Elvis Presley.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Then I'll be sure not to step on your blue suede shoes. image
  • leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Mint usually means approximately 80% EX and 20% Ex-Mt from my experiences.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    The high number cards 523-565 will run you $15 and up for nice samples, look at them closely. The All Star cards 566-589 are particularly tough and run much higher, into the hundreds for the stars.

61's are vulnerable to ink smears on the borders, though that doesn't bother me.

There are some SP's that can get pricey, i.e. 371 Skowron, 417 Marichal.

There are 6 Mantle cards in the set, I'd want nice examples of them.

Like most older sets there are cards with bright white borders and those with yellowing.

The MVP cards are gorgeous but because of the bright red/blue backgrounds really need to be centered to be appreciated.

I love the set, good luck with it! I suspect for 2k you will not have mint Mantles, SP's, or hi numbers.

"Molon Labe"

• jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Mark -

Thanks for the info - just what I am looking for.

Yes for 2K I am expecting it to be a bust, but I am going to look image
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
    Some of those Blue MVP cards have print dot issues.

And the Red MVP cards come in shades as well.

Jim you might want to read the PSA write up regarding the set.

Go to the 61 set on the registry, I think a link for it is there.

If the set is in EX shape, 2k is not a bad price. The high numbers are tuff, but not as tuff as they are made out to be.

Steve

Good for you.
    Also I have no interest in keeping a 1961 set so if I do get it I may offer it up here if there is anyone interested.
    Otherwise to the Bay or auction house.....
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    61 mint set for $2000.Are you kidding me?That is giving it away.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything EX and above is a great deal at $2,000. I would buy EX 1961 sets for $2,000 and at that price I know I can break it up and make a profit.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mint usually means approximately 80% EX and 20% Ex-Mt from my experiences. >>

So true, although some of the commons could be NM but likely OC...but definitely, the Mantles, other key cards, and high number stars will have bad flaws of some kind, OC, stains, wrinkles, creases, etc...for a price of 2K.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    I've been upgrading my 1961 Topps set lately, and I discovered that there were print lines on quite a few cards and that centering seemed worse in this set than in other sets. Especially check the condition of the Mantles and the condition of the high numbers, especially the high number All Star cards (Mantle, Maris, Aaron, Mays, etc.).

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Jimrad, how did this turn out?

"Molon Labe"

<< <i>Jimrad, how did this turn out? >>

I got a phone call the morning I was going to view the set saying he sold it for $2500.
    Of course he had told me previously that I was the only one he had talked to. image
    I'm just glad I wasn't after the set for my own personal collection, I was just going to flip it.
    Jim

Sorry to hear that, did you tell him that you would have gonna as high as 5k?

Good for you.
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jimrad, how did this turn out? >>

I got a phone call the morning I was going to view the set saying he sold it for $2500.
    Of course he had told me previously that I was the only one he had talked to. image
    I'm just glad I wasn't after the set for my own personal collection, I was just going to flip it. >>

Bummer image
    That's too bad, I was really curious to see what he had.

"Molon Labe"