Home Sports Talk
Options

How do different teams rank in support in their local areas?

I know that we recently watched a Mavs-Heat series and both teams seemed well supported. But having lived in both cities, I know that both rank their NFL teams #1. In Miami, the Heat are clearly #2 and neither the Panthers in hockey nor the Marlins in baseball have any support at all. I am not so sure about Dallas. When I lived there, there was no hockey, and the Rangers and Mavs were awful. What about other cities? I get the sense that the Red Sox are #1 in Boston, but maybe I am wrong. In Cleveland, is there more love for the Browns or the Indians? What about the other cities with multiple teams? Chime in with your opinions.
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sox
    Pats
    Celts
    Bruins

except this week, of course image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sox
    Pats
    Celts
    Bruins

except this week, of course image >>

Agreed, but not in this household.
    Sox
    Bruins
    Celts
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    In Georgia, this is the order for all sports-

UGA football
    Braves
    Falcons
    GT football
    Hawks
    GT basketball
    Georgia Southern football
    that hockey team that finally left that no one cared about
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    chi town-

bears
    bulls
    hawks
    cubs
    sox
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detroit probably goes like this:

Red Wings
    Tigers
    Lions
    Pistons

That probably changes year-to-year but the Red Wings are a clear #1. All four teams have very solid support.

Tabe
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philly is a football town at a clear #1 - Eagles and college football very popular, with the Phillies right up there for #2, local college basketball at #3, Flyers at #4 with not a huge following but a hard core smaller group of loyal fans, and the Sixers a distant 5th at this point.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the success of the teams. In the Bay Area for most of the 80's it was the 49ers only. You really heard very little about the other teams. Now, obviously, the Giant's are top dogs. The A's had success in the late 80's but the Niners were still at their pinnacle but the A's were probably 2nd for a while or at least tied with the Giants. The Warrior's have never been the top team.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    great question.....Barndog has Boston's pecking order spot on....

I've been saying for 3 years that I hope the Bruins win Boston's next title....we're one win away. I think Philly may have won titles in 3 sports within a 10-year span, but I don't think a city has won all 4. The Bruins are on the verge of doing that for Boston.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>great question.....Barndog has Boston's pecking order spot on....

I've been saying for 3 years that I hope the Bruins win Boston's next title....we're one win away. I think Philly may have won titles in 3 sports within a 10-year span, but I don't think a city has won all 4. The Bruins are on the verge of doing that for Boston. >>

ok i must say i am rooting for vancouver but i must say that would indeed be awesome
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It would make for 7 titles in 10 years, not bad at all.
    Go B's.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    chi town-
    bears
    bulls
    hawks
    cubs
    sox

maybe in the 90's the Bulls were #2.

Bears
    Cubs
    Hawks/Bulls (toss-up)
    White Sox

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe in the 90's the Bulls were #2.

Bears
    Cubs
    Hawks/Bulls (toss-up)
    White Sox >>

I agree.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Giants (last year/this year) otherwise 49ers since the 80's
    49ers
    Sharks
    and then the big three sport teams in the East Bay (Raiders, Warriors and Oakland AAAs)
    lastly, Earthquakes (foutbol)

in the 70's it was Raider's and A's

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    OOPS....in Cleveland

Browns
    Indians
    Cavs

when Lebron was here you probably could flip flop the tribe and the cavs.....but not now
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    In LA:

Lakers
    Dodgers
    USC Football
    Kings
    UCLA Women's Water Polo
    Clippers
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew up in Denver and have not lived there for a long time.

However, in Denver the ranking for decades has been

#1. Broncos
    #2. and lower - take your pick (Rockies, Avalanche, Nuggets depending on how good eah team is during the year).

Colorado and Denver are nuts about sports, but Chamionship success has been limited. The Broncos won two superbowls in the late 90's. The Avalanch have won at least one NHL title [I think????], the Rockies played in one World Series and the Nuggets played for and lost the ABA Title in spring of 1976 [while in the NBA the best they have done is lose to the Lakers in the Western Conference finals a few years ago]
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Central Ohio
    1 Buckeye football
    2 Ohio State football
    3 Ohio State spring football game
    4 Buckeye basketball
    5 Blue Jackets
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I live in Ga, I am really close to both South and North Carolina where it's basically breaks down to this:

South:

Clemson Football
    South Carolina Football
    Clemson Baseball
    Clemson Basketball
    High School Football

----------------------------------
    North:

North Carolina Basketball
    Duke Basketball
    NC State Football
    North Carolina & Duke Women's Basketball
    3 way tie between the Carolina Panthers/Carolina Hurricanes/Wake Forest Football

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Colorado and Denver are nuts about sports>>>

I guess it depends on your perspective. Perhaps relative to other cities out west, they are "nuts", but I have two friends that grew up in New England, and they tell me that the sports scene is lame. Everyone loves the Broncos, but nobody really cares about the other sports. Which is too bad, because they have 2 of the most exciting young players in baseball, and a very solid NBA team that was lucky enough to have a true superstar for a number of years.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess the Rockies going to the World Series a few years back in such dramatic fashion wasn't good enough?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Up here in Fairbanks AK:
    UAF hockey (CCHA)
    Grizzlies (Arena FB)
    Yukon Quest
    Ice Dogs (jr hockey)
    Seattle Mariners

We have an Alaska League baseball team, but except for the midnight sun game no one really attends. I guess too many mosquitos...
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent