Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set registry help.......qualifiers???

Hey guys......this question has probably been asked before but I just added a 79 Topps Wayne Gretzky PSA7MC to my Gretzky basic set and noitced it was registered as a 5 when it populated into the registry. Does this occur with all Qualifiers?? Thanks.......
1964 Topps Football

Comments

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Yes...qualifiers drop it two grades for registry purposes.

Jeff
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeff........

The front looks great but the back...........well that throws in the curve ball...

BACK

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I can't believe a front that nice can have a back that bad.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Blackie

Nice card, what is that thing on the back? Bottom left?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! I can't believe a front that nice can have a back that bad. >>

Ditto on that...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Steve a small piece of trash.... Not on the card or encapusulated. I was so impressed by the look on the front of the card that i didnt even care bout the qualifier.
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    So it's on the outside of the slab?

This card was discussed here, last week, congrats on getting it.

Good for you.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents...

Not a hockey fan, but...if I were building either a Gretzky player set, either Basic or Master, I would not bother with any qualifiers, assuming you want to enjoy the chase in the Registry. Any qualifier (as stated above), will cut the grade by 2 levels and thus reduce the value of the card not only in your hand, but in the Registry as well. A quick check shows the 79 Gretzy with a 6-point value, thus, your 7(MC) drops its Registry value to a paltry 30 points. If your wallet can handle a pure PSA7 or stretch to a PSA8, the return is not only a much nicer card, but 42 and 48 points respecitvely.

Obviously a PSA 9 is pretty steep from what I glanced at, but, if it were me, I'd either save up, or just treat myself (if I could) to a PSA 9. Not likely the 9 will ever fall in value, and you'd have a smokin' card for your set. Fuggedabout qualifiers in the Registry.

GL
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My 2 cents...

Not a hockey fan, but...if I were building either a Gretzky player set, either Basic or Master, I would not bother with any qualifiers, assuming you want to enjoy the chase in the Registry. Any qualifier (as stated above), will cut the grade by 2 levels and thus reduce the value of the card not only in your hand, but in the Registry as well. A quick check shows the 79 Gretzy with a 6-point value, thus, your 7(MC) drops its Registry value to a paltry 30 points. If your wallet can handle a pure PSA7 or stretch to a PSA8, the return is not only a much nicer card, but 42 and 48 points respecitvely.

Obviously a PSA 9 is pretty steep from what I glanced at, but, if it were me, I'd either save up, or just treat myself (if I could) to a PSA 9. Not likely the 9 will ever fall in value, and you'd have a smokin' card for your set. Fuggedabout qualifiers in the Registry.

GL >>

Or collect what you like and can afford. Don't get caught up in winning the registry game.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My 2 cents...

GL >>

Or collect what you like and can afford. Don't get caught up in winning the registry

I certainly cannot compete or even think about a PSA 9 at this time. The registry is a great collecting tool.... Thats my main reason for using it.
    1964 Topps Football