Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New purchase before and after treatment with acetone

Yesterday I received my latest purchase, which was as advertised having PVC contamination, but which I believed from viewing the pictures was in better condition than the seller's advertised "strong EF". Upon receiving the coin, I immediately photographed it, then placed it in an acetone bath to remove both the obvious visible green PVC contamination as well as what I believed was likely an overall light contamination that gave it a muddy appearance. I then photographed the coin again in as close to original lighting conditions as I could manage. (I have not adjusted the images except to rotate and re-size them.)

I was quite pleased with the results, and I now believe the coin is actually a strong AU, which makes my $12.77 total purchase a very good buy for a coin worth more on the order of $50+. Though I already own this coin graded by PCGS as MS64BN, I simply can't pass up such an opportunity for a semi-key coin.

I sent off an email to the seller asking him why he didn't treat the coin to an acetone bath before he put it up for auction. He replied, "I'm not very good with restoration especially for copper coins (almost always ruin it) and it was from a pile of coins I bought that has pretty much paid for itself already."

Guys, it's not that hard.

Before Acetone Treatment

After Acetone Treatment

Comments