Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fresh Macho Man Randy Savage Rookie Card Find.....

Hey guys I just bought 10 sets of the 1985 O-Pee-Chee WWF sets with the Macho Man Randy Savage Rokie Card in it.

Let me know if you think any of these have a chance at getting a PSA 9. There is one I think does but I want your expert eye's to view them and let me know what you think. There is a red dot at the bottom and that was something on the scanner on a few of these.

I got lucky and got one extra card in the lot and it was a Savage rookie. A bunch of the Macho Man cards were crazy off centered and you can't imagine how badly centered some of the cards were in the lot. There are a handfull of cards from this set like King Kong Bundy and Davey Boy Smith you may never find a card that could grade a straight PSA 8 becuase of centering.

Here they are.

This is the one I think has a shot at a PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    Sweet find Mike!!! I sent that one in I got off you today. Those are great and the u reference should get a 9 looks great on my iPhone.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the top one best. The one you pointed out for a 9 (the second one) has a diamond cut. Personally, I can't stand diamond cuts, and my eyes just go immediately to that factor.

Steve
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually like the top one best. The one you pointed out for a 9 (the second one) has a diamond cut. Personally, I can't stand diamond cuts, and my eyes just go immediately to that factor.

Steve >>

I agree, that the top one has the best cut for centering...

Good luck with the grades...

Donat
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys I should have been more clear. The first card is the one I think is the best. I wrote the info below it. These are going to be crazy tough to get a 9 or higher.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    The top one has a chance at a 9 or 8.5. Isn't there a Macho Man card by himself in this series? RIP to them both also
  • Options
    No, there are two cards with him. There is a card called Savage attacks but the centering is brutal and this one.

I have subbed most of the Macho Man cards and the top one is the best I have had. I got two 8.5's with prior subs but you never know.

I am going to send in a bunch and try and get the PSA 9. A mint condition Macho Man would be a sweet card!!!
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    For years to come we will be talking about the "85 OPC Wrestling Find". In fact I'll put it right up there with the 52 Topps wax and 55 Topps All American finds.
  • Options
    Very funny.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very funny. >>

I agree with CDs nuts and was thinking the same thing- This is a real find in our small universe of wrestling card love. There seems to be trend lately with "finds" that you give props to your hometown or state (aka the "Louisiana find" with all the Red Cross back T207s). Perhaps David will want this to be the Florida find or maybe just the Orlando find. Once a decision has been made, I'll try to use the new phrase on other boards to give it some street cred.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Well Savage lived in Tampa/St. Pete which is about an hour and a half away from me so we can call it the Florida find.

It is not a find if I don't get a PSA 9 which would be a pop 1 at this time. I am going to put together a sub real soon and we will find out.

• Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    The first one looks strong! Good luck.

Robert
  • Options
    Thank you Robert.

It is by far the best one I have ever handled.

I just went through the cards and pulled all of the base cards that could potentially grade well. I am not sure if I plan to sub a lot of them but if I do they are safe in 9 pocket pages and card savers.

This is a crazy set as the centering is just insane on so many.

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm bullish on these, too
    Personally, I think he's the Felix Potvin of deceased wrestlers
  • Options
    Hammered what does your post mean?

I see he is a hockey player but not sure what the connection is.

Let me know, thanks.

• Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    Sadly, I have no skin in the game on Potvin or Savage.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    nice cards... i think the centering on the second to the last one is the best of the bunch. The first one has a slight diamond cut. Good luck with the sub.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    If PSA uses the same standards for 1985 OPC WWF cards as they use for 1985 OPC hockey cards, a slight diamond cut should not affect the grade too much. Of course I'm a little biased: I just pulled the Savage from my own set and it's dead mint-- except for the slight diamond. image

It's true, though-- the centering is all over the place in this set; as it is for all '80s OPC sets. My "Savage Attacks" card is 30/70 to the top.
  • Options
    A Savage attacks card with 70/30 sounds great. So many of the action shots are 95/5.

• Options
    The centering on the andre battle royal card is terrible too. Strangely andre never got a base card in the topps or opc 85 sets. The battle royal winner card is my favorite toppsopc andre card
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    There are some cool cards in this set. The harsh reality is it will be very tuff to collect many of the action cards and a few of the base wrestler cards in high grade and may prove to be impossible to find centered.

The King Kong Bundy, Hercules Hernandez, Tony Atlas and Davey Boy Smith are so off centered it is insane.

The battle royal cards and a few of the action cards mostly come 90/10. I got 751 cards which was 10 sets plus one and many of each of the 10 cards are wildly off centered. This is a large enough sample to know your chances are extremely low of finding a centered card.

I think the British Bulldogs cards in here could do well and so could the Terry Funk, Rickey Steamboat and Cowboy Bob Orton Rookie card.

• Options
    i have to look through my set again to see if any of the base cards are well centered. Like i've said before i bought it a while ago just for the savage rookie and pretty much discarded the rest of the set. I have it somwhere.. hopefully something will be worth subbing. I'd love to trade for a low grade hogan or flair 82 card.
  • Options
    I have to narrow through the large batch I bought in greater detail. I pulled everything that could get a PSA 8 or higher in terms of centering and corners and then will narrow down more to try and get a smaller sub but lots of strong cards.

The Macho Man card getting a bid will change the direction of this set. These will never in my mind be as expensive as the Wrestling All Stars can get but this is real cool set.

There are a few cards that I am going to be looking for from these.

• Options
    Just wanted to say thanks again to Dpeck for the Randy Savage RC. I bought it from him raw with a perfect transaction and it graded an 8 just as advertised. This is my first wrestling card, and can safely say it won't be my last!!!

Thanks again Dpeck, how about a Hogan RC?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    Nice grade on the macho man. I haven't seen many series 1 opc cards pop up on ebay. I'd like to see how that set sells. I would think the hogan would sell well and maybe rowdy piper. I just picked up the 87 opc set for the bret hart card. I haven't gotten yet in the mail but hoping its worth subbing. Its tough to tell if these things are rare or there just isn't any interest so they are not on ebay.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    So the contents of the 'Orlando Find' have already started to leak out into the marketplace. It's going to be interesting to see how this effects the economy.
  • Options
    LOL!!! This is staying in my PC and not going anywhere. That's one less that will be available, so that should drive the price up!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
  • Options
    The card he is referring to came from a sealed wax box I busted a few months back.

I have the best copy from the big lot of sets I bought in a sub right now.

I just checked the pop report and someone subbed a single Macho Man and got a PSA 9. It will be interesting to see if that card shows up on EBAY shortly.

If so it will do real well with it being the first to surface.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck100, do you have any 1987 Stuarts?
  • Options
    I had a complete set of them that were uncut but sold them in the past year on EBAY. They are much thinner then the one's produced in the US for Circle K.

I think they are fairly tough to find and bought them from a seller out of Canada where they were produced.

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

I came across 4 packs of '85 Topps WWF today and picked them up for $1 each. I saw they were listed on the bay for around $9 each but I saw no sales data in VCP for them with the exception of a single BGS 8.

With that said, should I leave these sealed? If I rip, who am I looking for in high grade, or should I look for any of them in high grade.

I've never had or busted these before so I'm simply looking for some guidance.

Regards,

Rodney
  • Options
  • Options
    They are Topps, not OPC. I don't see a series shown anywhere on the pack, just the picture of Hogan holding the belt.

I saw the earlier post that had some of the names mentioned that would be good pulls, but don't know if those would be in my packs or not. I'll be glad to bust and post results here if I shouldn't keep them sealed.

Rodney

<< <i>1st series or OPC? >>

• Options
    You have the 1st series. I would say grade the #1 Hogan and #16 Hogan if they are in nm-mint or better to make any profit, and grade any card you think would be a PSA 10 but wouldn't mind keeping if you get an 8 or 9 back and can't sell for more than $7. There are a few Hogans in here and a bunch of other big names. No Macho Man in this set.
  • Options
    Great! Good information, thank you. Sounds like I should be ripping these. I've still got lots of packs from the group rip this past month, so I'll set these aside and rip them when I rip my football packs next weekend.

Thanks for your help!

Rodney

<< <i>You have the 1st series. I would say grade the #1 Hogan and #16 Hogan if they are in nm-mint or better to make any profit, and grade any card you think would be a PSA 10 but wouldn't mind keeping if you get an 8 or 9 back and can't sell for more than $7. There are a few Hogans in here and a bunch of other big names. No Macho Man in this set. >>

• Options
    No problem Rodney! I should have added that these cards come out of the packs with flaws such as bad centering, cheap paper with spots on them, printing flaws...but you may find a few nice ones too. There are no PSA 10 Hogan #1 and #16's so if you get one that would be worth nice $$.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck did I miss if you had sent these in to be graded yet and if you had received any of the graded cards back yet?

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Jim I think he got a PSA 9 on the best one and it should be on Ebay now. Dpeck correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    I was just looking at the pop reports for 1985, and I saw a listing for Topps WWF(lots graded) and then a listing for Topps WWF Pro Wrestling Stars(not a lot graded). My packs definately say Pro Wrestling Stars and have Hogan on the front. I may not have the packs that are the ones with the #1 and #16 Hogans as they are in the regular Topps WWF packs, right?

Rodney

<< <i>No problem Rodney! I should have added that these cards come out of the packs with flaws such as bad centering, cheap paper with spots on them, printing flaws...but you may find a few nice ones too. There are no PSA 10 Hogan #1 and #16's so if you get one that would be worth nice $$. >>

• Options
    I think they are both the same sets in the population reports and PSA made the mistake of naming them two different names and came up in the computer as 2 different sets...i know the with the stickers they made that mistake.
  • Options
    Ok, I busted open 4 packs. There were two Hogan #1's and both are horrible on the top/bottom centering. There were a handful of other cards that had pretty nice appearances. Here are the scans of the better ones:

• Options

Here is the Macho Man card that I got graded.