Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My autographed Wrestling All Stars 90 of 108 so far, added Jimmy Valiant

2»

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Here are 6 more that I added at the recent NWA Legends show. Takes me up to 84 of 108.

Mike George

Mr. Wrestling II

Mr. Olympia

Buck Robley

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Austin Idol

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I am loving seeing the new adds. The Bobby The Brain Heenen and Austin Idol are two of the toughest cards in the set!!

Nice work Mike and I love your efforts!!
  • Options
    Here are the ones that have eluded me so far. Several of them are going to be very tough to find as they passed away some time ago. I should've never got hooked into this set, LOL.

Mil Mascaras (will have soon, agreed to a deal on one)
    Dick Murdoch (died in 1996)
    Dick The Bruiser (died in 1991)
    Tony Garea
    Killer Kahn
    Verne Gagne
    Jerry Blackwell (died in 1995)
    Les Thornton
    Adrian Adonis (died in 1988)
    Jimmy Valiant
    Ray Stevens (died in 1996)
    Bobby Duncum
    Dino Bravo (died in 1993)
    bobo brazil (died in 1998)
    Spike Huber
    Buddy Rogers (died in 1992)
    Jules Strongbow
    Bob Sweetan
    The Grappler
    Buddy Rose (died in 2009)
    The Super Destroyer (died in 1987)
    Antonio Inoki (I think Rob has a lead on a couple for us)
    Ken Lucas
    The Grand Wizard (died October 12, 1983, perhaps before the set was released??)
  • Options
    Mike I have a lot of magazines looking for the pictures and the sheet trying to sell the cards. I will check and get back to you and see when they first started trying to sell the 83 set and you can match that up with the Grand Wizards death.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I should be able to get you Jimmy Valiant, I have a friend that has one. I also have a friend that has a duplicate Verne Gagne but he was hesitant last time I tried to get it. A different guy has a Ken Lucas that he will get to me as well as a Tony Garea. I still am working on the Antonio Inoki. Those are cards from four different guys.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I just found a Sept 83 Magazine that has the 82B and the 83 for sale. I think the 83 set came out in the mid to back half of 83 as in the early part they were still trying to sell 82B. I have programs from late in 85 when they are still trying to sell both. They flopped and that is why 82B is the toughest set of all three.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are the ones that have eluded me so far. Several of them are going to be very tough to find as they passed away some time ago. I should've never got hooked into this set, LOL.

Ken Lucas >>

Ken Lucas is reachable online (or used to be, at least).

And good luck on the Bob Sweetan. That pile of filth got deported years ago back to Canada.

Tabe
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    hey your closing in

congrats!!

thanks for sharing the ride
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    Getting pretty tough from here on out....good luck in your quest, I'll chip in and be on the lookout.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

• Options
    Simply awesome!!!

• Options
    Nice in those red flips
  • Options
    Got these two from Rob (WrestlingCardKing). 86 down, 22 more to go.

Ken Lucas

Tony Garea

• Options
    Those look great Mike, I updated my registry with my autos in all three of the wrestling all star sets. I have 58 in red flips and one in a blue flip at the moment and that does not include a few more that easily should be in a red flip like my Hulk Hogan and Buddy Rogers. I'm losing a bit of patience on the Antonio Inoki but that would be huge and I have that second card out for you.
  • Options
    That Buddy Rogers that you just got off EBAY has a lot of potential. I have auctioned off three 1991 Imagine Buddy Rogers auto's and they sold nicely. There is real interest in his signature.
  • Options
    Did you ever get your Mil Mascaras?
  • Options
    King I have been told Mil Mascaras is tough because he won't take the mask off in public and this makes it impossible for him to fly commercial.

Any truth to that?
  • Options
    I have heard he is a really tough autograph as well....I have been told he will not take off his mask. I did not make the connection to flying commercial, but that would make a lot of sense so you may be on to something there.
  • Options
    Thanks to Youtube I have had a chance to see some of his matches and we was simply awesome. There are many of his matches in Japan where the grappling and technique are simply amazing.

It is hard to tell those matches were a work which is the ultimate honor in my opinion for a pro wrestling match.

• Options
    Bump in support of the SMR article that is in people's mailboxes or in their homes now on the wrestling all stars ............
  • Options
    Never saw a scan of the Mil Mascaras.........
  • Options
    Traded for this one last night. This is another one of the tough ones as he passed away in 1988. Collecting these sets isn't for the the faint of heart as there are a LOT of deceased tough autographs. Was glad to knock this one off the want list. 87 down now.

Adrian Adonis

• Options
    Very nice Mike!

Keep them coming!!!
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow awesome thread. That Kerry von Erich is great. He was one of my favorites as a kid. I remember always looking forward to WCCW on saturday mornings. I would love to own his autograph someday. It was way better than the WWF in my opinion. Also loved the old Mid-Atlantic NWA stuff as well.
  • Options
    Great get in Adrian Adonis. East West connection was such a cool team. Great interviews.

Love Baron adding The Claw inscription.
    Does Harley usually just sign The King? cool one.

Has anyone ever put together a signed set of these or any of the series. Nice work thenavarro showing these autos.
    dpeck you have quite a few signed don't you in your collection.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    80%+ on a signed set is HUGE! Way to go, Mike!
  • Options
    No I only have just a few. I have four Hogan's, a Ricky Steamboat, and two Steve Keirn cards that are signed.

Rob The Wrestling Card King has a large collection of signed cards.

Both Rob and Mike have taken on this insane challenge that may never be able to be completed. The Grand Wizard died in 1983 so the odds of his card ever surfacing signed are slim to none.

The other element that makes this just so difficult is the element of kayfabe. Many of the heals did not sign at all. They could not appear friendly to the fans.

Mike has several that are just amazing including Andre, Kerry Von Erich, Gino Hernandez and Bruiser Brody just to name a few.

• Options
    Serious question - How does PSA authenticate some of these autographs that are so incredibly rare?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Has anyone ever put together a signed set of these or any of the series. >>

Rob, AKA Wrestling Card King, actually has a few more signed ones then I do. I think he's at 93 or 94 or so. I've got a couple more coming in as well so I'l be at 89 soon. Rob has some that I need and vice versa. If you were to put our two sets together, we'd be pretty close I think
  • Options

<< <i>Serious question - How does PSA authenticate some of these autographs that are so incredibly rare? >>

On a lot of the guys, PSA will issue a voucher if you send one in. In other words, they are not able to say yes or no so they will give you a credit towards future use.

Mike
  • Options
    Added two more to my 1982 Series A set. Almost have it complete. I just need one more, Dick Murdoch. ironically, he used to bill himself as being from my hometown, Waxahachie. Don't know if he ever actually set foot in my town or not. Sting lives here, or did, I haven't seen him recently, and Killer Tim Brooks still does, but I don't recall ever seeing Murdoch growing up.

Mil Mascaras

Dick the Bruiser

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats! I just started buying a few of these and will have them slabbed.
  • Options
    Dick the Bruiser before he dicks you.
  • Options
    King Bees, I have some if you are looking. I should have some here in red flips here soon too. We could make a trade as I need a few graded cards to round out my sets.

Mike- The Buddy Rogers that may be the spare is the scan of the Buddy Rogers card in my thread. I love the eye appeal of it but am afraid that it will grade lower than the other.
  • Options
    Added number 90 today. Signed in person for my friend at his Wrestling camp.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B Jimmy Valiant

• Options
    I'm running at of room to stay ahead of you....Congrats on your addition. I'd like to improve my Valiant one of these days.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm running at of room to stay ahead of you....Congrats on your addition. I'd like to improve my Valiant one of these days. >>

Rob,

No need to worry about staying ahead. I don't play that Registry stuff. That's not my cup of tea. I'm sure if we both stay slow and steady that eventually we'll both get to the end or as close as we can. If you need another Valiant, I can put you in touch with the guy that got mine for me, he charges $25 and I think he said the next time he makes the trip will be September.

Mike
  • Options
    Here's my current want list:

Dick Murdoch
    Killer Kahn
    Verne Gagne
    Jerry Blackwell
    Les Thornton
    Ray Stevens
    Bobby Duncum
    Dino Bravo
    bobo brazil
    Spike Huber
    Buddy Rogers
    Jules Strongbow
    Bob Sweetan
    The Grappler
    Buddy Rose
    The Super Destroyer
    Antonio Inoki
    The Grand Wizard
  • Options
    I really do not care about staying ahead....apples and oranges really. I just want to get as many nice signed cards as I can and I have passed on some before and I'm alright with it. I may want to use your contact with the Valiant. I have a guy that has one but he is slow to pull the trigger. I have a nice Valiant PSA 7 that I can crack out for autographing...... Thanks for the offer. Any ideas on how we can make something happen with Buddy Rogers?
  • Options
    Just good fun to go through this thread every once in a while......
  • Options
    Bump for the amazing Andre signature at the top of page one! ;-)
  • Options
    Rob

The progress has severely slowed. My collection seems to run in spurts. I can go a month without finding a new card then all of a sudden I can pick up 4 or 5 in a week. It's been a good couple weeks for my signed rookie card collection but it's been a poor few MONTHS for my wrestling all stars. Eventually the drought will end, lol, it always does image

Mike
  • Options
    Did you send in some cards for the group sub? That could help you get a Buddy Rogers :-)
  • Options
    I put up my Buddy Rogers to see if I will get any bites on it......nothing yet, but you never know!