Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Possible Spanish coin from 1760 and an Unknown, Help!

I inherited my fathers massive lifelong coin collection a few years back and he has a little of EVERYTHING!! As u will see in the weeks to come I will have many questions for the fine knowledgeable ppl here at Collectors Universe.
Right now I'm looking at what appears to be a Spanish coin dated 1760. Some of the writing on the coin is.. "M-VTRAQUE-VNUM-M" Note the M's have small o's above them.
The other side reads "CAROLVS-III-G-HISPAN-ET IND-REX". The writing is runnning clockwise around the coin, same as the writing on the other side i quoted.

This other coin is strange. Its dated 1776. Reads "CONTINENTAL CURRENCY" clockwise around coin. The symbols on the coin are a sun shinning its rays towards what appears to be a sun dial. Here is the strange part to me. Underneath those symbols in small letters it reads "mind your business".
Any additional info anyone could provide about these coins would be greatly appreciated..

I'm starting to see why my father's passion was coin collecting because as I am going through his collections, I'm becoming more and more fascinated. I am now hooked!

Comments

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm no expert, I believe that M with the circle is the Mexico mint, which was a Spanish colony at the time.

The Continental Currency issue was actually a very early US coin...but there are a ton of reproductions out there, so be careful!

If you can get some photographs or even scans up more knowledgeable people can help you! Welcome to the board, and the hobby, it can be very addicting!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Thanks.. Only have camera on phone with me at the moment, which wont take a high enough quality photo i'm sure...I do have a better camera elsewhere tho so i'll be posting pics of them soon..image
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, killer26.

The 1760 coin is a Spanish colonial coin minted in Mexico City. On the side with CAROLVS III is the denomination located just to the right of the shield. Since HISPAN is written-out completely, it would be either a 4 or an 8 Reales. If you can, post pictures of both sides, edge and the weight of the coin.
  • Its an 8 Reales, i will post pics a.s.a.p, weight is 23.3 grams.. Does that sound about right for the weight?
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    An 8 reales should weigh 27.07 grams.
  • So does that mean its a fake?
    For an 8 Reales minted during that time period to have that low of weight would mean it's either a counterfeit, or an original worn down to indiscernible condition.
  • Bummer, oh well, at least I know now. Thanks for the help!
  • Your best bet is to get some pics up , i wouldnt give up so easily over 2 or 3 grams difference , there could well be a reason for it. An example is the old british coins , a lot of them were "clipped" which just means a few grams were shaved off for the personal melting pot. It's also possible the scale isnt reading correctly or set correctly,i know i have to calibrate mine once in a while for no apparant reason.
  • Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    Because your 8 Reales coin was found with 1776 Continental Currency coin, my fear is they are both fakes. There were many "replica" sets of Early American Dollars that contained both of those coins in a set, none of them marked "copy". 23.3grms is way too light for an 8 reales.
  • Here's pics of the 1776 Continental Currency coin. I realize they're not the best photos ever, but its all i got
    http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/2killer6/coins/P1080002.jpg
    http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff407/2killer6/coins/P1080004.jpg

Linked them for you. Looks like a cast.
  • Thanks for the link.. Unfortunately I was thinking the same thing, One can always hope tho!!