Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Sea of RED on PCGS Price Guide for MPL's

Prices keep falling on these once booming coins. I was looking at some I bought and the PCGs price guide is about 60% of what i paid for a few really nice ones. So the question is when do you think prices will bottom out?

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, let's look at the timeline:

2006: Availability of quality examples and moderate prices garner recognition of MPLs as an underappreciated series.
    2008: Early in the year MPLs are very hot, and collectors are paying high prices for great examples, driving up the prices for even the so-so ones. By the end of the year with the stock market tanking, things begin to slow down, but the demand for nice coins is still there.
    2009: Where did all the MPLs go? Oh, there are some, but hey, they aren't as nice. Market pressures and decreased quality start the downward price trend.
    2010 - present: Honestly folks, when is the last time we heard about an exciting and fresh MPL on the market? It would seem that serious collectors have bought all the nice coins and taken them off the market. What's left are essentially latecomers still trying to cash in on the craze, which is not dead, but rather in a lull, waiting for something to come along that is actually worth buying.

I think that if we were to see a nice collection on the market, it could bring things back up. I think we shall wait and see. Personally, I'd like to let someone else test the waters.

And oh, yes, you'd better believe that really nice MPLs still command a high price. Those that want them, they will pay. And that's only when you can get those that have them to sell image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple more comments and observations. Yes, the good ones will command a premium. But, we also have fewer MPL registry sets than years ago. Last two weeks a 63 Brown and R&B examples sold on Teletrade for under $400 each. Not only were these low end coins not available a couple years ago, they would have sold at double that price, and there was a host of folks who would have bought them. The price also fell because of two big unknowns. The future of the cent in 2009, and if the cent (because of 2009) would gain significant popularity. We now know neither event happened. After looking at the last couple of shows, I have seen more MPLs than ever. Dealers like Gene Brunder, NE Numismatics, Daves Coins and of course Teletarde and Ebay, all have MPLs. If I was on a budget and wanted to start a set of MPLs, Now is the time as they have become more affordable again. JMHO.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though the prices of the average MPL have dropped and the set is more affordable, strong money is still paid for the very PQ examples and the set is still just as expensive as it was a couple of years ago if you want the best of the best in your set.

• Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Even though the prices of the average MPL have dropped and the set is more affordable, strong money is still paid for the very PQ examples and the set is still just as expensive as it was a couple of years ago if you want the best of the best in your set. >>

well said,

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    When collectors realize that ONLY 15,914 of all nine of these 1909 thru 1916 MPL's were issued by the US Mint and far fewer are still in existence, then values will start to go up again. Now IS a great time to start collecting these nine coins. Except for the 1909VDB and possibly the 1916 the challenge and the price should be reasonable right now. The problem with getting the 1909VDB is first finding one you can afford. The challenge is finding one for less than 5 figures. Steveimage
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The challenge is finding one for less than 5 figures. >>

And one better than PR61 image