Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Latest addition to the "McCullagh" MPL cent collection

Congrats Jonathan and a big thank you to Matt Chapman

McCullagh MPL Collection
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the term "range of emotion" fits well with the decision to sell this coin. Many times I stated that this would be my coin of choice to accompany me into the afterlife, and yet, here it is, sold. I won't hide the fact that this was an "all the money" sort of deal, and I have to thank Jonathan for that, for stepping up and shrinking the gap between present day and the date when my target price would be realized. Thanks, buddy!

About the coin itself, this coin to me is the type of coin that you first get your hands on, and you don't quite know what to make of it. I mean, there's this blinding red and tangerine on one side, near teal-black on the other, and a rainbow in-between. Having it and studying it for a few days, it just started to grow on me in ways that made it one of my most prized posessions. I was especially enamored with the fact that this coin, almost like no other, sublimely and seamlessly connected the extremes of what toning has to offer a copper coin. Being a physicist, it was especially intriguing to me in the way that its coloration was in ways, an analogy for a black hole, or a singularity. You see, it has this areas of darkest black like a black light on the shoulder, and then streaming off the periphery were these bright and pure original colors. And then the reverse, with its outwardly dull appearance, explodes with color when you get in close.

Jonathan, this is a truly wonderful coin, one that I will always miss.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Wow, very nice and a great addition to its new owner's set. Congrats to all parties.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the term "range of emotion" fits well with the decision to sell this coin. Many times I stated that this would be my coin of choice to accompany me into the afterlife, and yet, here it is, sold. I won't hide the fact that this was an "all the money" sort of deal, and I have to thank Jonathan for that, for stepping up and shrinking the gap between present day and the date when my target price would be realized. Thanks, buddy!

About the coin itself, this coin to me is the type of coin that you first get your hands on, and you don't quite know what to make of it. I mean, there's this blinding red and tangerine on one side, near teal-black on the other, and a rainbow in-between. Having it and studying it for a few days, it just started to grow on me in ways that made it one of my most prized posessions. I was especially enamored with the fact that this coin, almost like no other, sublimely and seamlessly connected the extremes of what toning has to offer a copper coin. Being a physicist, it was especially intriguing to me in the way that its coloration was in ways, an analogy for a black hole, or a singularity. You see, it has this areas of darkest black like a black light on the shoulder, and then streaming off the periphery were these bright and pure original colors. And then the reverse, with its outwardly dull appearance, explodes with color when you get in close.

Jonathan, this is a truly wonderful coin, one that I will always miss. >>

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Hey!!!! I remember that coin! image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Great coin, great people. Congrats to all.
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Mr Wagner,

That is a very nice coin. That fits into Jonathan's set very well.

Hope to see both of you guys again in Rosemount at the summer ANA.

Carl
    Collector
  • Options
    scherscher Posts: 924
    New to this MPL cent thing..
    am excited to build a nice set of these..
    learning something new always fun..
    Great coin shown..
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful MPL. Congrats on adding such a wonderful coin to your collection.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Didn't that go for about $3k one time on Teletrade? Someone got a deal back then.
  • Options
    Neat stuff! Congrats on the great set!
  • Options
    Actually, this is the latest addition to the McCullagh Collection, with another thanks to Matt Chapman:

Jonathan
  • Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Jonathan
    Wow what a GREAT looking MPL.
    Collector
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jonathan!! This coin, which is formerly from Curly's set, is probably the prettiest 1911 you will ever lay your eyes on.

• Options
    There is now a big hole in my collection that will be very, very hard to fill. I won't say that my SDB looks empty now, but the loss is palpable.

• Options

<< <i>There is now a big hole in my collection that will be very, very hard to fill. I won't say that my SDB looks empty now, but the loss is palpable.

image >>

It looks like Curly's set is making the rounds and ending up with Jonathan. Matt, you won't be able to fill that hole with anything nicer.image
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like Curly's set is making the rounds and ending up with Jonathan. Matt, you won't be able to fill that hole with anything nicer.image >>

Only one left... AND I AIN'T SELLIN'!!!

• Options
    I have coveted that one for a long time.image

imageimage