Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let's hear your "I met Willie Mays and he was _______" stories

I've never met Willie Mays, but I hear he isn't exactly a friendly fellow at signings. However, I never see anyone sharing any personal stories. Can we get some of these? I'm sure people have had varied experiences... or maybe not.

I don't collect Mays because honestly, I prefer to collect "nice guys" like Killebrew, Musial, Brooks Robinson, etc. I do have one Mays auto, but it was on a multi signed ball when I bought it (500 HR ball with Mantle, Williams, Killebrew, Banks, etc).
2.5 is pretty much my speed.

Comments

• Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Willie Mays signed my ball in Scottsdale in 1986. He signed just a few items at the stands on the 3rd base side of home plate and I was lucky to get one. Only thing I heard him say that might be construed as grumpy was, he told another seeker you can't be signing no ballcap with no felt tip pen and borrowed a ballpoint from one of the field entourage.

Now the European guy who's view we were blocking was something of a schlemiel. I heard him whining the couple of minutes it took to get a signature. Willie handed me my ball. I turned to go back and this guy grabbed it out of my hand. He took a look at the auto, handed it back, patted me on the back and said, "you're a good kid". I was 13 and never saw my pop move more quickly then that moment. Two more seconds and euro-dude was in trouble. In the end he was none the wiser.

I don't know what has happened with Willie in the 25 years since then but it doesn't sound like its been any good.

• Options
    MJB14MJB14 Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I actually had Mays sign for me last year at the National. I found an old 11x14 pic of him and Jim Rice together, the only one I've ever seen of them 2 together, that I wanted to get signed by both for my dad. Mays was his favorite player growing up and Rice was mine so I figured I'd pay the $ since I don't know how many opportunities to get Mays to sign there are going to be left based on his age. Other than the line moving at a slow pace based on his eyesight not being good , I had no problems with him nor did I notice anyone else have any problems with Mays. In fact he signed a full size batting helmet for one guy that I guess he messed up the sig (smear or something) and he actually had the guy come back and re-did the auto for him and then asked him if that one was ok. While he wasn't overly chatty with the customers he did shake everyone's hand that extended their hand to him. So overall I have no complaints for the fact that I got to meet IMO the greatest all around player ever and obtain a signed photo that I can pass down to my son one day that portrays the baseball heroes of both his dad and grandpa.

Collecting anything Dan Fouts, Jim Rice, Chris Webber, Ron Francis & Coming Soon: Aaron Hernandez.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw him at a show in San Mateo about 10 years ago. He was a little grumpy but better than some of the stories I've heard. There was no line and the show was lightly attended. He asked why the show was so slow. My friend and I told him they didn't properly advertise it and we only found out at the last minute. He said they paid him a lot of money to sign and he was surprised they didn't advertise it very well. We chatted for about 5 minutes.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    It's nice to read about the good meetings you guys had with him.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's nice to read about the good meetings you guys had with him. >>

That's what I was thinking, Doug. I want to know if this has been blown out of proportion.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    I just got done reading the new Willie Mays biography called Willie Mays, The Life, The legend and it was actually a very good book that explained why Mays is the way he is. Reading this book gave me a better understanding of the man the way The Last Boy helped me better understand Mantle. My suggestion is to read these two books before anyone takes a swipe at these players. I used to think they were both turds now I better understand the man, the myth and the legend. I know Willie had some rough times at autograph signings and his background does not give him the right to bark at anyone and treat someone paying 350 bucks for an autograph rudely but at least I know a little more why he is how he is.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    BobbyVCPBobbyVCP Posts: 755
    I ran into him traveling the elevator at Dodger stadium when I was a kid and of course had a ball and pen with me that he graciously signed personal to me. Again this was about 35 years ago.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Calling JustMichael! I think Mike can better tell you the story we got in Cooperstown about 3 years ago about Mays refusing to sign a glove LOL
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got done reading the new Willie Mays biography called Willie Mays, The Life, The legend and it was actually a very good book that explained why Mays is the way he is. Reading this book gave me a better understanding of the man the way The Last Boy helped me better understand Mantle. My suggestion is to read these two books before anyone takes a swipe at these players. I used to think they were both turds now I better understand the man, the myth and the legend. I know Willie had some rough times at autograph signings and his background does not give him the right to bark at anyone and treat someone paying 350 bucks for an autograph rudely but at least I know a little more why he is how he is. >>

I read the Mays book recently as well. I thought it was a little biased because it was an authorized biography. IMO I felt like everyone quoted in the book only wanted to say nice things about him.

I still think he is one of the best ballplayers that ever lived.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    From what I got out of the book was that early on he trusted pretty much anybody with his money because all he wanted to do was play ball. He got burned many times, had his money taken from him and had to play as long as he did to set himself back on good financial footing. You trust people as much as he did and get taken advantage of as much as he did I guess I would be a bit surly and question adults motives too. The one thing that has seemed to stand the test of time is Mays' willingness to work with and encourage kids. Probably because he feels like he wont be taken by them like adults do.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I've met Willie Mays in person twice. The first time he was quite grumpy but the second time he was one of the most accommodating persons you could ever meet. To be honest I think that everyone has good days and bad days, it's luck of the draw which one you have........if I had only met him once I would have not been impressed with him but meeting him a second time was awesome.....had a similar experience with Reggie Jackson, met him in a hotel in downtown Cleveland and he wouldn't even talk with me to say at least hi. but it was the only time I ever met him so maybe he was just having a bad day. Worse thing I ever saw was George Brett getting up at the end of the hour he was scheduled to sign at a show and not looking back, leaving many in line wondering what the heck.....
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've met Willie Mays in person twice. The first time he was quite grumpy but the second time he was one of the most accommodating persons you could ever meet. To be honest I think that everyone has good days and bad days, it's luck of the draw which one you have........if I had only met him once I would have not been impressed with him but meeting him a second time was awesome.....had a similar experience with Reggie Jackson, met him in a hotel in downtown Cleveland and he wouldn't even talk with me to say at least hi. but it was the only time I ever met him so maybe he was just having a bad day. Worse thing I ever saw was George Brett getting up at the end of the hour he was scheduled to sign at a show and not looking back, leaving many in line wondering what the heck..... >>

Maybe it was the once or twice a year when George sh%ts himself.

George Brett TMI

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I met the "Say Hey" kid at a Giants FanFest in 1999. Special packages were handed out to get his autograph and/or picture with him. I got neither which sucked because Willie Mays was/is my favorite player and he helped me become a great lover(recite Mays statistics in your head makes you last longer). Anyway I snuck in both lines and during his autograph session I handed him my hat and said he can't sign hats,next(!). I yelled for someone to please give me something to sign and someone handed me a 1953 Topps Archives card (#244) and he signed it! Next it was off to the picture session where I also snuck in (not to be denied). As we were sitting, I put my hand on Willie's knee. He got instantly mad and put his hand on my hand to take it off, that's when the picture snapped LOL ! If I knew how to put photos on this site I would put a scan of both.
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    lol awesome!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>I met the "Say Hey" kid at a Giants FanFest in 1999. Special packages were handed out to get his autograph and/or picture with him. I got neither which sucked because Willie Mays was/is my favorite player and he helped me become a great lover(recite Mays statistics in your head makes you last longer). Anyway I snuck in both lines and during his autograph session I handed him my hat and said he can't sign hats,next(!). I yelled for someone to please give me something to sign and someone handed me a 1953 Topps Archives card (#244) and he signed it! Next it was off to the picture session where I also snuck in (not to be denied). As we were sitting, I put my hand on Willie's knee. He got instantly mad and put his hand on my hand to take it off, that's when the picture snapped LOL ! If I knew how to put photos on this site I would put a scan of both. >>

OK, I simply HAVE to see this picture. Please email it to me and I'll post it. gredandforgerock (at) gmail (dot) com
  • Options

<< <i>Calling JustMichael! I think Mike can better tell you the story we got in Cooperstown about 3 years ago about Mays refusing to sign a glove LOL >>

I don't know if he was being a douche or if he really thought that guy took his glove that day but it was funny as hell.I have seen him take a kids ball in Cooperstown and throw it down the street.I am sure many guys have seen him sign of Mantles signature just to ruin a piece.He is my kind of people.Crotchity and anti-social.
  • Options
    Oh c'mon man! Elaborate! I wanna hear this!
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Got him for a FREE autograph at a show in San Jose Ca. He was sitting outside with the promoter signing 8x10 s with the promoter. Purchased an 8 x 10 handed it to him and signed it and looked the other way when he gave it back to me.That was the extent of the interaction. But cannot be to harsh for giving me an autograph and guess surprised the promoter think it was that guy who promoted all the stars of the day Canseco, Strawberry etc Thyberg was his name? did not say a word either.image

Heard he signs baseball in felt pens has anybody ever got him to sign in ball point?

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I met him a few years ago when he made an appearance in Dallas at Southern Methodist University. He was nice to me, we talked for about a minute, he actually asked me if I played baseball when I was a kid. Somewhere under that veneer, there's still a kid who loves the game. He wasn't signing at that reception, but later in the day he signed a baseball for my wife.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I met him on two different occasions; first time he was bad mood and nearly got the crap beat out of him and the second time he was in a nice mood and signed and talked with people. Both times he was nice to me and we spoke for around 5 minutes about the old days of baseball.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I met him on two different occasions; first time he was bad mood and nearly got the crap beat out of him and the second time he was in a nice mood and signed and talked with people. Both times he was nice to me and we spoke for around 5 minutes about the old days of baseball. >>

what do you mean "nearly got the crap beat out of him"......tell us more.... chaz
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    "I met Willie Mays and he was _______"

wearing a pretty blue bonnet

http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/2741/Blue_Bonnet_Margarine_Commercial/
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>"I met Willie Mays and he was _______"
    wearing a pretty blue bonnet
    http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/2741/Blue_Bonnet_Margarine_Commercial/ >>

A classic! The Mick and Willie!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>I met the "Say Hey" kid at a Giants FanFest in 1999. Special packages were handed out to get his autograph and/or picture with him. I got neither which sucked because Willie Mays was/is my favorite player and he helped me become a great lover(recite Mays statistics in your head makes you last longer). Anyway I snuck in both lines and during his autograph session I handed him my hat and said he can't sign hats,next(!). I yelled for someone to please give me something to sign and someone handed me a 1953 Topps Archives card (#244) and he signed it! Next it was off to the picture session where I also snuck in (not to be denied). As we were sitting, I put my hand on Willie's knee. He got instantly mad and put his hand on my hand to take it off, that's when the picture snapped LOL ! If I knew how to put photos on this site I would put a scan of both. >>

And here is the photo & card from it.

• Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    My first encounter w/ Mr. Mays was as an 11 year old and left a lasting, 50+ year impression that he was an AH. It was either at the end of spring training in '58 or '59. The Giants and Indians trained in AZ and swung thru San Diego for a couple of exhibition games at old Westgate Park, home of the PCL Padres. He was shagging balls during batting practice in right field. It was a small stadium and the right side foul line seats ended just past 1st base. Beyond was a grassy slope, where I joined a ton of kids to hopefully catch a foul ball. Well one went in. Mays jogged over to the short fence and made the kid - not me! - give it back. What a jerk! was my reaction. Like Horace Stoneham and Chub Feeney couldn't afford to lose any BP balls.
  • Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Calling JustMichael! I think Mike can better tell you the story we got in Cooperstown about 3 years ago about Mays refusing to sign a glove LOL >>

I NEED to hear this story, as I am pretty sure I was right behind him!!!

The way I remember it, if its the same guy, wanted to have a Willie Mays model glove signed. The glove was his during his childhood/playing days. Mays swore it was his own game used glove, and refused to sign it. Same story?

I wanted him on a sweet spot baseball, but he was only using a sharpie. I had already bought the ticket, so I decided on a photo to frame. For some reason I decided to choose "the catch". In hindsight, I wish I had chosen something different...a bit more unique. Just wanted something to frame in my office though. Anyways, I knew I could get any of these items for cheaper and authenticated online, but I honestly wanted to meet him, so to say I did. And I was preparing myself for the worst.

After I had seen that exchange with the glove, I knew it was going to be something special. I got up there, and told him it was a pleasure to meet him, and called him Mr. Mays. No response. He signed my photo without really looking at it, but not in a dismissive way....in a way that you would think he was completely blind. He then took the photo and put it maybe two inches from his eyes and nose. I was wondering a little what he was doing, but didnt say anything. He then just says "Just checking to make sure that I signed it alright. If not, I was going to sign you a new one", which I thought was really cool. In hindsight I almost wish he had screwed it up, as I might have been able to get 2 photos out of it.

Not the friendliest person I have ever met, but being pretty much blind and trying to check that it was signed ok scores him some points in my book.

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭
    By the way, I just recently met a guy who had probably the best job we could ever dream of. Originally from Cooperstown, he "volunteered" every year at the Otesaga Hotel to work for the HOF during Induction Weekend. His job? The HOF gave him 6 dozen baseballs, and he had to get autographs from every HOFer in attendance each year. The Hall then gives each HOFer a ball as a keepsake. They gave him credentials and he set up a table in the hotel. I asked him if he was able to keep a ball every year, and he said yes. I asked him if he was able to ask for autographs of the HOFers and he said "Oh yeah.....definitely". Sounds like he absolutely racked.

He said his last year doing so was 1994, as the HOF Administration changed. I asked him if he missed it, and he said that he did, but it was just getting really too hard to deal with some of the players. He told me a bunch of stories, but here are two that really stick out:

He had to get 72 baseballs done. Most every HOFer would sit down and do them all at once. Tom Seaver was notorious for coming in, signing two dozen, then leaving. He would then have to track him down and try to keep track of what balls had and had not been signed.

One year he had already gotten a ton of HOFers to sign them. Willie Mays came down and told him to bring them up to his room and he would do them there. So he obliged. When he got there, Mays told them to leave them. This guy wouldnt budge, as he tried to explain they were very valuable and they couldnt leave his sight. Mays then refused to sign them. So that year (and I wish I had asked him what year it was), every HOFer had signed the ball except for Mays. I asked him if he got in trouble with the Hall, and he said that he explained it to whoever he reported to, and they just knew how Mays was so it wasnt a big deal.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭
    I met him in the early 90's and while he was a jerk to say the least, he still wasn't the TOTAL KINGPIN OF JERKS......that honor belongs to Rod Carew.

Dead serious.
    -- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    mj23kg21mj23kg21 Posts: 134 ✭✭

<< <i>I met him in the early 90's and while he was a jerk to say the least, he still wasn't the TOTAL KINGPIN OF JERKS......that honor belongs to Rod Carew.

Dead serious. >>

Interesting that Rod Carew was the TOTAL KINGPIN OF JERKS to you. I have met him at least 50 times and while he isn't the friendliest player I have ever met he certainly wouldn't make my top 10 jerks list. I actually just saw Rod and he signed 4 items for me and my boys (TIME Magazines) and he was very friendly. The first time I met Mays back in 1982 I paid to have him sign 5 baseballs and 1 8x10 photo. Autographs were $5.00 each. He signed the photo and then signed each baseball and rolled it back to me rather than put it in the box. Fortunately, none of the balls got damaged but he wasn't the friendliest. Each time I have met him after he has been tough to say the least - no flash photography and no posing for pictures.
    Always looking to buy old Minnesota Twins and Vikings memorabilia like Nodders, Photo Pennants, and Photo Buttons.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I love stories about Jueu Trop.
  • Options
    jamesryanbelljamesryanbell Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I met him in the early 90's and while he was a jerk to say the least, he still wasn't the TOTAL KINGPIN OF JERKS......that honor belongs to Rod Carew.

Dead serious. >>

Interesting that Rod Carew was the TOTAL KINGPIN OF JERKS to you. I have met him at least 50 times and while he isn't the friendliest player I have ever met he certainly wouldn't make my top 10 jerks list. I actually just saw Rod and he signed 4 items for me and my boys (TIME Magazines) and he was very friendly. The first time I met Mays back in 1982 I paid to have him sign 5 baseballs and 1 8x10 photo. Autographs were $5.00 each. He signed the photo and then signed each baseball and rolled it back to me rather than put it in the box. Fortunately, none of the balls got damaged but he wasn't the friendliest. Each time I have met him after he has been tough to say the least - no flash photography and no posing for pictures. >>

Let me explain. This happened during the first time I paid to get his autograph (I won't even go into the second time):

1) Told a kid in front of me to stop taking so long to take a picture of him and that "he didn't have all day". It MIGHT have been 45 seconds or so. Maybe.

2) Signed baseballs and ROLLED them (with fresh ink on them) to someone else to give them back to the customer.

3) Never looked up at anyone but spoke one word answers with his head down, if at all.

4) Refused to sign several items that held up the line for quite a while. Turns out one of them was a company T-shirt that he didn't like (he made references to not liking the company, and I think that was the loudest he spoke up all day).

5) Wrote OVER a signature (partially) on the HOF bat of the guy in front of me, and the customer raised issue. Rod wouldn't address him, waived him off with his hand (never looking up), and mumbled "whatever" under his breath and shook his head. An attendant took him aside to deal with it.

I mean seriously. Really? We're paying for this? This was in the early 90's.

-- Ryan Bell
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    I "met" Mr. Mays at a corporate function with a friend of mine who's a doctor. They were auctioning off a few autographed baseballs during the dinner. We had heard he wouldn't sign anything else. I saw a couple of people go up and he obliged, though begrudgingly. I took a ball up and asked him if he would sign it for my son, who's nickname by my wife is Willie. He did but didn't say anything. I ended up winning one of the auction balls for myself later in the evening. Not the warmest and fuzziest experience but not like I've heard in the past.

On a different note, possibly the nicest human being I've ever been around was Dale Murphy. He's as good as they come.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I NEED to hear this story, as I am pretty sure I was right behind him!!!

The way I remember it, if its the same guy, wanted to have a Willie Mays model glove signed. The glove was his during his childhood/playing days. Mays swore it was his own game used glove, and refused to sign it. Same story?

>>

Yup! Same story! We didnt see this go down. Mike and I were just talking to the guy who he turned down. We had a great laugh over it! Guess Mays was telling him just because of a certain tied knot that Mays KNEW it was one of his actual game used gloves and asked him where he got it, etc...then told him he wouldnt sign it and better bring it to someone to have it authenticated cuz it was worth a lot of money LOL

The guy is blind as a bat...how on earth he could even see the glove well enough to know this was beyond me. Im thinking he just didnt want to sign it. Since you were there, Im sure you can give a lot more insight to that story!