Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How common are rotated dies on proof Walking Liberty Halves?

PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭
I recently bought a 1941 proof walker, and just tonight realized the dies are rotated around 15 degrees. I've never owned proof walkers before, so I have no idea how common or uncommon it might be.

Anyone else know?

Comments

  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I think it is pretty common and it is within mint tolerances.
    Becky
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently acquired a 1941 Proof Walking Liberty Half Dollar with ~15-20 degree counter-clockwise rotated reverse, and found this 4 year old thread from 2011 while researching this topic.

    According to the Heritage Auction archives I found (11) listings of 1941 Proof Walking Liberty Half Dollars with rotated reverses, out of a total of (1518) which represents a population of (0.7%) or (1 out of 138).

    I'd be interested in learning more about the scarcity, collector demand and value of this coin. -- Also how common (or scarce) are rotated reverse WWII vintage proof coins?

    Thanks in advance for your informative replies... image

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file