Options
Can you attribute this 1857 Flying Eagle DDO? (photos attached)
Hey guys,
I'm in need of some expert advice and have gotten some major help before from some kind souls on this board, so I'm hoping to humbly come before you again with the following: I was just about to post this 1857 flying eagle cent I picked up a few weeks ago on eBay, it had nice surfaces and great details, although that was accompanied by either a nick or lamination error on the but when I looked at the enlarged photos I started scratching my head and wondering what was going on here! I had checked the date for doubling, but lazily hadn't really looked at the motto, and for some reason didn't even catch the eye (looks like this eagle has bags under its eyes from the 150 years of flying. I get that.)
In any case, there is clearly some doubling here (photos below- you should be able to see them larger by clicking them)- particularly at the beginning and end of the motto and the head of the eagle, less but maybe some in the middle of the motto, and maybe (maybe?) something in the 5 of the date? It doesn't seem to exactly match up with the coin pictured on PCGS Coinfacts, but that may be partly due to wear? Could someone with a good eye and a knack for snow numbers help me tell what's what?
On a separate but related note, does anyone know if PCGS would slab this coin with the nick/lamination on the reverse, or whether it would even be worth it to have it slabbed (for verification/protection?)
On another separate but related note, thoughts on grade?
Thanks in advance!







I'm in need of some expert advice and have gotten some major help before from some kind souls on this board, so I'm hoping to humbly come before you again with the following: I was just about to post this 1857 flying eagle cent I picked up a few weeks ago on eBay, it had nice surfaces and great details, although that was accompanied by either a nick or lamination error on the but when I looked at the enlarged photos I started scratching my head and wondering what was going on here! I had checked the date for doubling, but lazily hadn't really looked at the motto, and for some reason didn't even catch the eye (looks like this eagle has bags under its eyes from the 150 years of flying. I get that.)
In any case, there is clearly some doubling here (photos below- you should be able to see them larger by clicking them)- particularly at the beginning and end of the motto and the head of the eagle, less but maybe some in the middle of the motto, and maybe (maybe?) something in the 5 of the date? It doesn't seem to exactly match up with the coin pictured on PCGS Coinfacts, but that may be partly due to wear? Could someone with a good eye and a knack for snow numbers help me tell what's what?
On a separate but related note, does anyone know if PCGS would slab this coin with the nick/lamination on the reverse, or whether it would even be worth it to have it slabbed (for verification/protection?)
On another separate but related note, thoughts on grade?
Thanks in advance!







"Silver and gold are not the only coin; virtue too passes current all over the world." Euripides
Ebay userid: cannoncoins
http://myworld.ebay.com/cannoncoins
www.coinsignment.com
Ebay userid: cannoncoins
http://myworld.ebay.com/cannoncoins
www.coinsignment.com
0
Comments
For $5 you can get a PDF of the entire 1857 section of my book HERE
Or get some pricing info here
Russ (Cannoncoins)
Ebay userid: cannoncoins
http://myworld.ebay.com/cannoncoins
www.coinsignment.com
President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay