Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As we walked a car show today I thought.....

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
There should be a TPG service for antique cars.

Comments

  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah imageimage
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845 ✭
    dude - do you know how much restoration is done on them things ??

    thats a whole new world of A.T !
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    How would they fit my 1947 Ford Dump Truck into a slab ? image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or one for my future antique tractor purchase!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Im serious. There could be reps around the country, genuine antique auto experts who would look over a car, really really look it over, as an expert on the make and year and its authenticity and condition, and "grade" the car.


    So, when you sell your car, you could advertise, Graded "92" by the CGS (Car Grading Service). If the standards were adhered to, it would let potential internet car buyers know the car has been certified and inspected and 'graded' by an independent agent.

    ...and then, they could be a CAC service to validate their opinions.

    just an idea.....
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    There are, experts in GM, Ford and Chrysler certify classic American cars-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    That is basically what they do at judged shows .
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Man that would be one super sized slab.image
    But yes I agree with an earlier post that the show really do that. I do like the idea of having a service that would do it for you outside of a show would be useful. But I doubt that a company would want the liability on a 1910 Ford that the radiator looked good but started to leak on the first or second trip. There are just to many hidden parts the someone in this lawsuit happy country could sue over.
    Richard
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is ever gonna slab my Vauxhalls! Or my 356 image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, Im serious. There could be reps around the country, genuine antique auto experts who would look over a car, really really look it over, as an expert on the make and year and its authenticity and condition, and "grade" the car

    There are experts that have been doing this for at least the past 15 yrs. That's just what I know about Chrysler products where some guys go around the country and do this for a
    living grading/appraising/authenticating higher end cars. They come up with a decimal grade such as 2.1 describing the overall condition of the car. That's where 1.0 is a perfect OEM restoration, and #2 is a very fine professional restoration with some minor errors. 3.0 describes an average nice driver quality car while 4 through 6 are for cars needing restorations of various degrees. But it's certainly true that subjectivity between experts runs high. It's not necesssary to give a perfect appraisal on "every" component of the car. Sure, an expert could miss a minor leak on the car. But they usually won't miss anything critical that could result in the car being worth substantially less than their appraisal/evaluation. There are so many faked high dollar cars out there today that unless one's a seasoned collector, you're almost certainly going to get screwed eventually.

    I believe the Corvette Bloomington Gold guys have been doing this stuff the longest. But just because a car grades "high" doesn't mean it has the most value. A lot of cars are worth
    when kept in low mileage original condition. With engine blocks restamped and factory spec sheets and original dealer invoices counterfeited/reproduced one can have a technical 1.0
    car with bogus documentation that's not worth anything close to a original 2.0 car with all correct factory paperwork and a complete owner history. Just like in coins, a high grade
    doesn't always mean the best price.

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭


    << <i>That is basically what they do at judged shows . >>




    Bingo.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At judged shows the judges are usually spending their time just verifying things "look" correct. A high judged grade doesn't always mean the car is real and worth all the money. But just because they "look" correct doesn't insure that the car wasn't reconstructed from a basket case or that key parts aren't just quality reproductions. The difference in value between nearly identical looking restored cars can be enormous if one of them never came from the factory that way. This is tending to make unscrewed with original, lower mileage cars in #2 to #3 condtion more valuable each day...just like unmessed with original coins. The Corvette world is famous for restamping blocks and reproducing tank sheets to make a perfect matching numbers "factory" hipo car. Those cars often judge very high at shows. But between top dealers and collectors, won't bring the big bucks as they are just recreations or resto-modifications.

    I recall taking my '69 Super Bee to a judged regional Mopar show back around the later 1990's. This was one of the biggest shows in the northeast. Imagine my surprise when the judge downgraded the car for "tired" paint and an undetailed engine compartment that needed sprucing up. He pointed to the other cars in my class that were a "lot nicer," showing near perfect paint and freshly painted engines. He had a point. But then I pointed out to him that none of those cars were original, 30 yr factory paint that could still look decent in a major show like this. That "undetailed" engine bay was untouched and 30 yrs old other than me removing obvious dirt, grease, and grime. I didn't touch up missing paint on the valve covers or radiator. Other than drive belts, filters, condensor/points, and spark plugs, it was pretty much as it came from the factory. I had had restored cars as well, but this one was going to be kept mostly original as so few like it were left. It finally clicked in the judge's mind that he was so engrossed with the idea of "blast white" that he didn't even recognize an original paint, 50,000 mile original car when he saw it. He just figured it was an older restoration needing another restoration to take it from a #3 car back to #2. Even with the best intentions show judges don't often know what they are looking at. I no longer own that SuperBee but I've seen it offered for sale in the last 5yrs. It's still in the same basic condition as when I had it but with maybe 2,000 more miles. Now it's got 43 yr old paint and still competes well at shows.

    roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Corvettes the NCRS acts that way with a score level for originality.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭

    Judging cars, verifying vin numbers to make sure the car is what its supposed to be is very much like a TPG.

    BTW, Im the green Bullitt.

    image
    Derek

    EAC 6024
  • Options
    One big differnce with cars vs coins. Coins that are slabbed stay pretty much the same. How can you guarantee the car is the same grade later on?
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171 ✭
    The one way around "recreations" at a high end car show (or if you are buying) is to check the casting dates on the block, tranny, rear end, bellhousing, etc.

    My 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 door hardtop, with a factory 270 hp dual four engine and "batwing" air cleaner is being restored to original factory condition. The exposed date GM codes (which are raised and cast into the metal and not stamped) are within a 2 week timeframe, verifying that it is an original car. I don't trust any stamped numbers anymore.

    Roadrunner - you are right in that many times, car show judges don't really know what they are looking at, because they have not really studied an original car and taken notes, nor have they done a body off restoration to make it factory correct. To a lot of them, "Shiny is better... " I'm glad we have Marti reports for Ford's, Galen Govier for Chrysler, Pontiac Historical Society for Pontiacs, and NCRS for Corvettes.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    There would be a ton of cars bagged for tooling!
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116 ✭
    Its hard to do that. I have a problem free monte SS. probably a AU 58 or MS61 grade. not gem mint but not low end. Its a rare blue that was down only 2 years. all original with no mods to it. People are always in shock of it being original but when it comes to judging the usual suspects usually win the corvette. the early camaros chevelles mustangs . Which is ok I love my little blue monte. But its strange how a car could be like how you say a high graded car but at shows its like opinions everyone has one and the grade means nothing. ( like coins buy the coin not the slab ). It would make it easier for me buying my 86 camaro im getting. If it was graded id know exactly what im getting before i even look. I think your idea would only work in regard to collector car insurance . knowing it was a ms 92 vs a vf 60 would make a difference at pay out for a totalled classic. but at a car show it would go right out the window
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
    image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭
    LOTS of doctored cars out there!
  • Options
    I guess now we all know why I am a lowball collector. I hate the "stock" original stuff other than just to look at in a museum. I like nice stuff that I can beat on.......and just like my lowball collection, I waste way too much money on stuff that will never be worth 1/2 what I paid for it!

    Here is my baby:

    image
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    As the Editor of (Porsche) 912 Registry, and the driver of a 1965 912, I think this would be very tough to do at least with the same effectiveness that TPGs grade coins, namely because cars are not static pieces of metal, but rather are meant to be driven.

    With a 912, sometimes the difference between a pristine, $12K motor, and a basically worthless motor, can be as little as 1 mile & broken crank.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... Wonder how much Meguiar’s PlastX would it take to polish a slabbed car imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920 ✭


    << <i>Hmm... Wonder how much Meguiar’s PlastX would it take to polish a slabbed car imageimage >>



    Hey, thanks again for that tip, Broadstruck. image Just used it the other day on that used SUV I bought. Works pretty dang good!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file