Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1957 Jefferson on a 3.4g planchet

I didn't want to post this yet because the only pics I had here aren't very good. It's bugging the crap out of me though and I couldn't wait.

It's a 1957 Jefferson. Planchet weighs 3.4 grams and it a bit thinner than a regular nickel and just a hair smaller in diameter. It doesn't look PM to me but I cannot find any information on any planchet weighing 3.4g from around 1957. Sorry for the crappy pics. I can get some better ones tomorrow if anyone would like. I'm thinking about sending it in but don't want to waste a submission if it's some kind of PM damage. Any help would be appreciated.

GMan

Comments

• Options
    acid
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.

Maybe struck on a dime planchet [with the planchet being made thinner and wider than a dime planchet during the striking of the coin, but still not as wide as a nickel planchet]?

Maybe struck on a planchet intended for use by the mint in striking a coin for another country?

Maybe struck on a nickel planchet that was created from the tail end [thus thinner] of a strip of metal used to produce blank planchets?

The color of the coin looks very light in the picture. Does the coin appear to be uncirculated?

Or does the coin look as if it has been reduced in size and weight through some process [chemical, electrical, etc.] that has removed portions of the metal of the coin?

• Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    It does not look acid dipped or anything. It is also thicker on one side of the coin. Acid dipped would be uniform thickness right? Rim does not looked obviously filed or anything and it may have circulated a bit. It could pass for a nickel as it is just a hair smaller and a hair thinner. The color of the pic is not very good. The brownish spots aren't as prominent in hand and the coin is a bit darker I think. I'm digging it out tomorrow and taking some better pics.

edited: lighter to darker. sorry.
    GMan
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i would lay strong money on this being post-mint

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It absolutely looks acid-dipped from your pictures, the reduction in diameter and grainy/mushy features are all hallmarks. My guess is that it was placed in the bath with the reverse up, which protected the obverse slightly so it dissolved at a slower rate than the reverse.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Mason Jar, Vinegar, face down so less access or circulation, washing over the reverse. The brown spots and wear patterns are tell ale signs.
  • Options
    I've got a 5 submission coupon ATS i need to use and I'm trying to fill out the submission. I thought it might be worth the extra $10. I know it's longshot wrong planchet error but the damn thing has been bugging me for years.

I did find this 2000-D Jefferson on a 3.4g planchet but that's as close as I could find.
    GMan
  • Options
    Would it be a uniform thickness if it were acid bathed?
    GMan
  • Options
    Unless the jar was tilted I would say yes. People post pictures of these all the time, surprised more haven't chimed in.
  • Options
    Acid

Different strengths and lengths of time.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    acid reduced.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    SmallSizedGuySmallSizedGuy Posts: 503 ✭✭✭
    Perfect example on how nitric acid affects coins.
    Jim Hodgson

Collector of US Small Size currency, Atlanta FRNs, and Georgia nationals since 1977. Researcher of small size US type - seeking serial number data for all FRN star notes, Series 1928 to 1934-D. Life member SPMC.

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>acid reduced. >>

acid oxidized.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Definitely acid.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks guys!
    GMan
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acid/chemical treated.

Please don't waste any
    money or coupons on it.
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Thanks Fred. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I'm glad I posted it. Even though sometimes you feel foolish for not knowing something, I'd have felt even more foolish wasting a submission on it. image
    GMan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file