Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A little more background intent on my new Estate Collection

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
The coins will be of such a nature as to be WOW coins. They will not necessarily

be the highest grade or the rarest dates( although many will be condition rare)

but they will be the nicest coins I can find and afford. If this collection is not needed

to provide for the needs of the wife and I, my executor will be instructed, to hold the

collection for a period of 15 - 20 years. At that point, the collection will have the look,

grade, slab and length of time, needed to maximize their value. I would expect my somewhat

modest investment, to be worth well in excess of 1,000,000, to be split between our two sons.

One might consider this a gift of love, across the space of time and place, to provide for their needs

as they begin to reach their 60s. What good would be all of my experience and knowledge of coins,

If I could not assemble such a collection for our son's future needs. When you see all of the pictures

of all of the coins,I would welcome your opinion as to whether I have succeeded or not in my goal. Of

course, the coins will all be PCGS and the collection ,will contain as many PLUS grades as I can find.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    I bet once you factor in inflation, that $1m will be far, far more.

Unless you're already factoring that in.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 15-20 years the people making enough to collect coins will be three in number.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck in building your collection!! Going to be a great one for sure! image
  • Options
    True, there may be only three people who could afford to bid on the coins, but

If two of them bid against each other, I got it made. I expect the real value to

exceed the ravages of inflation by a large margin. I have not calculated the actual

inflation rate, since I am not sure that the historic rate of 3% will continue to be valid

in the economic disaster yet to come.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60's...??

I gotta look at the terms of my will again!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Believe me, when one faces their own mortality head on, one takes a very hard look

at the will , the future and the financial where withal , to be left to the family.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Of

course, the coins will all be PCGS and the collection ,will contain as many PLUS grades as I can find. Why? A plus grade in and of itself means nothing. Would you rather have a 63+ than a 64 ? image
  • Options
    I couldn't agree with you more Bear ...

I had started my collection from what my Mother left me when she collected hers over 40 years ago. So for the past 25 years i have also collected and continue to do so .... all i need to do is look my kid and know that she will one day inherit what not only i have put together but what her grandmother did. I can only hope that she will not have the necessity to ever part with them but instead do the same for her children and grow the collection for them as well...
  • Options
    I would agree, perhaps not all + coins are created equal,however,

many, many of them are truly beautiful in almost any high grade.

That could mean MS-63+ , MS-64+ and up thru MS-67+. They are

truly, quality coins. Now having said that, they must still meet the

collectors own strict guidelines, of what is expected from such a coin.

Once the coin passes that scrutiny , the the quality plus, becomes a

monetary plus.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I say spend what ya got- the kids can fend for themselves

you worked and played hard to get what you have

it is your turn to burn the candle at both ends - with mama bear in tow.

kids can fend for themselves

enjoy what you have now Abe- you know that time is short and it gets harder each day

go play and send us pics of the good time you are having on what took you years to build.

• Options

<< <i>I would agree, perhaps not all + coins are created equal,however,

many, many of them are truly beautiful in almost any high grade.

That could mean MS-63+ , MS-64+ and up thru MS-67+. They are

truly, quality coins. Now having said that, they must still meet the

collectors own strict guidelines, of what is expected from such a coin.

Once the coin passes that scrutiny , the the quality plus, becomes a

monetary plus.image >>

How can an MS-63+ coin be better than a 64? I think you are still missing the point.
  • Options
    Well I do not collect the lower grades, but I have included a wonderful PCGS

MS-64+ Liberty Seated Half 1850-O to my collection. However, not all collectors

are in the same financial position as I am and thus the collect what they can afford.

If you read my criteria for the collection, you know where, no, it is not ATS, then you

will better understand what I intend to collect. You can also see pictures of all the coin

I have on hand at the present time. I believe the picture and my explanations will answer

any questions as to what I believe will do well in the future decades. Not everyone has just sold

their house for a profit and has the cash on hand to indulge their visions for the future.
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file