Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This ain't gonna end well for me.

coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
Several months ago (January, 2011) I posted a thread here about having had a valuable Mint medal go missing from a local Postal processing facility while in transit from an auction house. My complaint, along with numerous others prompted the regional Postal Inspectors unit to investigate. Many of the victims, including myself, were convinced that theft was the motive. I had direct contact with a Postal Inspector from the case, and I had established some level of confidence that eventually my item(s) would be recovered. And then this news clip shows up today. Looks more like a mental hygiene case to me. This guy is headed for the nut house before he goes to prison. image Now I have to believe my items are in a landfill somewhere.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Comments

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Sounds like a thief, not a nut case. I suspect he's already sold your medal.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree, he wasn't just randomly damaging and destroying packages, he was opening them and pocketing the contents. My guess is that press release was carefully worded because the investigators have the "damaging and destroying" on tape but are still trying to verify that he possesses and/or sold the contents.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done over 2000 transactions on Ebay and at least 1000 here and the ONLY package I had go missing was sent to Rochester last summer.

Sorry Dano.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Postal inspectors and DMV inspectors are some serious dudes.

He's got a fence somewhere locally. Maybe 3-5 years state instead of 10 years at Leavenworth will convince him to roll on his fence. This guy probably has a drug or gambling problem or other serious money issues.

Hopefully, your stuff can get tracked down. Because it's not in a landfill. It's with a local dealer and the dealer knows who he sold it to. 99.99% . Or the coins were put to sleep. They'll awaken PDQ when Leavenworth is brought up.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Yea, I agree with others that all isn't lost yet. As the arm twisting goes up the line who knows what might show up.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several months ago I lost two packages sent at the same time. Some of our mail goes through Rochester. hmmm . . .

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they cross check this guys cell phone records with #'s that are from people with NCIC issues or possibly to a coin shop-bingo. A postal employee that gives up federal retirement perks to steal some coins is not the brightest bulb. The guy needed money NOW. I would bet his phone records will ID the fence.

It's probably a coin dealer locally or if the postal employee takes periodic 'vacations'...a coin dealer along that route. For obvious reasons these coins cannot be sold over the internet so it's with a coin dealer who has non internet customers. The more complaints about missing coins that were filed and the more scrutiny that places this POST OFFICE branch as the source of the loss --the better.

If people who lost coins at this branch knew how to contact one another and collectively keep the issue alive, that might be a good thing. I was just reading that last year...7000+ high value POST OFFICE packages were 'lost'

Never give up.
    Have a nice day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file