Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow, I love this rainbow Morgan toner, you think it would make a PCGS holder?

ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
I picked this up for a decent price due to poor scans from the seller. The color to me is amazing, and in hand this thing is on fire! My pics are crummy but meant to show the color which still looks better in hand.

You think this would make a PCGS holder? I know that the old PCI holders can tone a coin, and not sure if this had some toning when it went in the holder as it does not say 100% or 95% White etc like many do. Thoughts on originality? If it is a winner, what is the best way to get it to PCGS? In the same holder as it is in now?
Thanks for your input image

Added a couple more pics!

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'M thinking yes it is goog to go
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    looks like a nice coin ! crack it out and submit to pcgs .
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    That toning doesn't look right to me...
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it very much. I would submit. Perhaps one suggestion.
    It has worked for me in the past.

When I find a great coin that I am concerned may not
    slab I pm Don Willis with the pic's and ask him.

He usually replies.... Crack it out and submit.
    Maybe if the question comes up he uses the pm as reference?

But I have had great results with Donimage

btw I should add..... He never promises it will slab thoughimage
  • Options
    The coin might have been white when submitted and toned in the holder.....I have seen plenty of ASE with similar patterns that are listed as white on the lable so we know these holders and their paper lables can and will impart toning on coins if left in the holder long enough. image
  • Options

<< <i>The coin might have been white when submitted and toned in the holder.....I have seen plenty of ASE with similar patterns that are listed as white on the lable so we know these holders and their paper lables can and will impart toning on coins if left in the holder long enough. image >>

Yeah, I have a few of what I call PCI Toners that look really cool with the toning. They look different though than this coin, since it has the good rainbow color going on. It seems like I can tell it was the holder, it is an odd toning and of course they say 95% white etc.

So say it was the holder that toned it. It may be natural in the sense that it was not intentional, but it may not be considered normal either. Whatever normal means these days. All I know is the coin has been in this holder for 20 years and I think the toning is above average and I would like to add it to my PCGS collection of Morgan toners. My guess is that it had some toning to begin with the and PCI holder helped it out over the years.

It would be possible to submit in the original PCI holder, yes? If so, maybe that would help in a way.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be possible to submit in the original PCI holder, yes? If so, maybe that would help in a way. >>

Yes, I would submit it in the holder as a "cross at any grade".

You'd be surprised at how well those old PCI holders do.
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks really nice and I don't think there would be a problem....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you get true view, it will more than pay for itself, nice coin!
  • Options

<< <i>Make sure you get true view, it will more than pay for itself, nice coin! >>

I agree, but the coin will have to be sent in raw as they
    do not image coins on crossovers.

Btw, I have a 1898 in a PCI holder that I have been
    meaning to send in I will post pic's later
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Make sure you get true view, it will more than pay for itself, nice coin! >>

meaning to send in I will post pic's later >>

They cannot trueview the coin after it is cracked out ???
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would leave that one in the holder it currently is in-

That is a very old PCI Holder- look at the font and the 6 in 64 -

I suspect that coins was graded in the 1993-94 time frame

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as for the toning- that looks good and seems to be album toning

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Thats a great looking coin. I would leave it as is. The current label is just fine!
  • Options
    I could never comment on the grade, though I will grade photos, because of the line of light across Liberty's cheek.

Personally I'd crack it out or sell it to coinkat or golfer72, or someone who appreciates that particular holder. I would not pay for PCGS's opinion on this coin either. The value is in the color. With silver values as they are I would not spend money and time sending a lower grade, common date, coin to PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>They cannot trueview the coin after it is cracked out ??? >>

Unless there has been a policy change lately, coins that are cross graded
    do not get imaged..... Only raw coins submitted get TrueViewed.

If the coin is submitted in a PCI or any other holder
    other than PCGS is considered a cross over thus will not be TV'd

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could never comment on the grade, though I will grade photos, because of the line of light across Liberty's cheek.

Personally I'd crack it out or sell it to coinkat or golfer72, or someone who appreciates that particular holder. I would not pay for PCGS's opinion on this coin either. The value is in the color. With silver values as they are I would not spend money and time sending a lower grade, common date, coin to PCGS. >>

Good advise
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big YES!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, no way.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

They cannot trueview the coin after it is cracked out ??? >>

They don't/won't. So, you either crack and submit raw (and get the trueview and hope it grades) or you submit as a crossover, get it back, and, if graded by PCGS, then send it back in and do a trueview/reholder.
    In short... $$$$$$$$ for doing it this last way

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

They cannot trueview the coin after it is cracked out ??? >>

They don't/won't. So, you either crack and submit raw (and get the trueview and hope it grades) or you submit as a crossover, get it back, and, if graded by PCGS, then send it back in and do a trueview/reholder.
    In short... $$$$$$$$ for doing it this last way >>

I think Batman is right. While it appears to me that the non-inert plastic holding around the coin has caused the toning, it has earmarks of some AT coins such as that light pinky-lime. I just picked one up for research in an old bank cardoard promotional holder with VERY similar color including that strange limey-pink. I don't think it will slab but it is a good piece to have as an example of non-standard toning from other-than-bag sources.

If anyone is going to the Long Beach show, you can stop by and see it.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    Thank you poorguy for the input. I have a feeling that the holder helped out the toning. What is interesting is I have a couple other PCI toners that were toned by the holder as evident by the 95% White on the label. The toning is very funky, and nothing like I have seen before. Whereas, this coin has a completely different look to it. I do notice in hand that all three coins have a smiliar very bright gold color in the toning. The gold color truly looks like 18k gold which is one common similarity.

The coin has been in this PCI holder for 20 years so I am happy to have it an example of a different type of toning.

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Not a chance in the world IMO.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Interesting posts. The gang seems to be divided on this one. I'm not going to be of much help. I would leave the coin as is, but I think everyone would concede the market interest in the coin goes up if it resided in a PCGS slab.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While it appears to me that the non-inert plastic holding around the coin has caused the toning, it has earmarks of some AT coins such as that light pinky-lime. I just picked one up for research in an old bank cardoard promotional holder with VERY similar color including that strange limey-pink. I don't think it will slab but it is a good piece to have as an example of non-standard toning from other-than-bag sources.

[...]

If anyone is going to the Long Beach show, you can stop by and see it. >>

Good to know about the pinky-lime toning.
  • Options
    I may be completely wrong but I feel that if the image of the coin was shown to PCGS and then submitted it should grade.

It also might be comparing apples to oranges as the ASE has more silver content but this one was in a PCI holder.

I cracked it out and it slabbed with no problems and has the right color progression IMO.
    It also has the most outer color progression as a green color, I would not describe it as lime green though

• Options

<< <i>I may be completely wrong but I feel that if the image of the coin was shown to PCGS and then submitted it should grade.

It also might be comparing apples to oranges as the ASE has more silver content but this one was in a PCI holder.

I cracked it out and it slabbed with no problems and has the right color progression IMO.
    It also has the most outer color progression as a green color, I would not describe it as lime green though >>

Good to know PCGS will slab PCI-toning. I really like TrueViews for strongly toned coins so we can see what PCGS graded b/c we all know coins can tone (or be toned) in the holder. Nice looking coin too. imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I may be completely wrong but I feel that if the image of the coin was shown to PCGS and then submitted it should grade.

It also has the most outer color progression as a green color, I would not describe it as lime green though

>>

Ok so that is a great image. Your ASE has very similar toning as my Morgan. Same color progression and the light gold in the center of the coin. Good info.

I still think there should be such a thing as "slab toning" just like there is album toning. Early ANACS, PCI, and NGC slabs can tone a coin with a distinct look.

I do not believe it was the intent for PCI to have an non-inert material in their holder and thus creating toners years later. Thus not AT. That would make me think it could get slabbed with PCGS if they understood the coin's history and it being shown in the holder. I understand what the coin may have looked like prior to the PCI grading is anybody's guess but I think it would help. In the end, it is for my personal collection so it does not need to be in a PCGS holder unless it was my preference. I am debating that though as most of my other Morgan toners are with PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>I do not believe it was the intent for PCI to have a non-inert material in their holder and thus creating toners years later. >>

Minor correction.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a toned Morgan Fan, BUT IMO No it will not cross, leave it where it is for maximum resale value, and I also do not see the ASE shown above as being anything like the Morgan.
    AL
    PS I really like that ASE
  • Options

<< <i>Ok so that is a great image. Your ASE has very similar toning as my Morgan. Same color progression and the light gold in the center of the coin. Good info.

I still think there should be such a thing as "slab toning" just like there is album toning. Early ANACS, PCI, and NGC slabs can tone a coin with a distinct look.

I do not believe it was the intent for PCI to have an non-inert material in their holder and thus creating toners years later. Thus not AT. That would make me think it could get slabbed with PCGS if they understood the coin's history and it being shown in the holder. I understand what the coin may have looked like prior to the PCI grading is anybody's guess but I think it would help. In the end, it is for my personal collection so it does not need to be in a PCGS holder unless it was my preference. I am debating that though as most of my other Morgan toners are with PCGS. >>

Whether you decide to have PCGS slab it is up to you. Perhaps write Don Willis a pm asking him his thought
    and link this thread.

PCI did not make inserts on purpose to tone coins.
    Just like the Canadian Mint did not make original packaging for some of their coins specifically
    to make them tone. But it is known for a fact that these particular holders do tone coins.

This is a Canadian set in the original Government holder.

Just like after market Capital holders tone coins.
    I think it also, like many here have stated.....it comes down to market acceptable
    and what I think is great is that PCGS now has "the sniffer"
    I think this will help greatly to disipher AT. And NT coins

Capital holder toned coin

• Options
    I did send Don a PM respectfully asking if he could provide an opinion. Thanks! image
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it very much. I would submit. Perhaps one suggestion.
    It has worked for me in the past.

When I find a great coin that I am concerned may not
    slab I pm Don Willis with the pic's and ask him.

He usually replies.... Crack it out and submit.
    Maybe if the question comes up he uses the pm as reference?

But I have had great results with Donimage

btw I should add..... He never promises it will slab thoughimage >>

Don just got 789 pm's!

LOL

• Options
    That Capital holder toned Frankie looks nice too! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks AT to me.
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO... (which, with a buck, you can get a cup of coffee....)....

.9999 ASE's and Proofs tone differently than BU Morgans. In the first two you can see more "unusual" toning patterns, especially that "yellow to pink" progression. In Morgans... hmmm... I'd question it. Even if the "sniffer" comes up clean, they could still BB it, the toning "acceleration" may have happened long enough ago that any residue is long gone..

Kind of reminds me of this one I had, which WAS BB'd

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    id leave it alone. theres nothing wrong with the tpg
  • Options
    Hmmm, the camp seems divided. All I can say is that it has been in that holder for 20 years so it has originality to me.

Stefanie, I like your PCI Toner too. It has a toning pattern and color that seems to match up with how they tone in their holders. Although what is odd is that is a new holder. I like the subdued overal plum look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file