Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

You know it is a bad day.....

I worked really hard to have the number one registry of Parkhurst wrestling cards from the 1954 set only to be passed today (last day of registry awards). I did not know what I had done but I sold the runnerup the cards he needed to improve and bypass me. Unbelievable!!! It does not look good for me to get a badge this year.....
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    You shoulda kinda expect to lose it when you sell it to the runner up....
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I never knew I was selling to the runnerup.

Ugh!!!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that sucks...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Ouch! That stings a bit!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You shoulda kinda expect to lose it when you sell it to the runner up.... >>

lol
  • Options
    I only sold some PSA 5s so it was nothing overwhelming, but if you have a few cull cards it would help to get rid of them...the overall GPA is just under 5.6 for the number one set. These are quite condition sensitive.

This guy had sent an email a few years ago wanting just one particular Parkhurst card, Lou Thesz PSA 5. After I told him that I had it (I had his email saved) he wondered if I had any others and I sold a few more.

Then today, like an ebay snipe and all his additions came up and dropped me to number two.

All the information to this collector was private but when he passed me today, his user id (his name) as well as the down arrow telling me I was now two, was familiar to me and notified me of how I was passed.

Definitely a new hobby experience for me today.

To make matters worse, I have potential upgrades that I never got around to sending this last month that might take me to the "new top".
  • Options
    Can I ask an honest question? There is nothing antagonistic in what I am about to ask, I am genuinely curious:

Why would you care if you won an award? Or badge? Is the registry so addictive that getting the award is a priority? Do you ever find that you are collecting for the award rather than for the cards?

Don't hate...educate
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm sorry you lost the card collecting competition.
  • Options
    I was second for a few years and was glad to have made the top spot last month....

To be honest, the other set was 100% and did not seem to be making any revisions anymore. I thought he was happy just having a complete set.

It really does not matter to me that much to have the "badge" but I'd still like to have the number one set. I won't pay obscure prices to improve my set. I'm too logical for that and my pockets are not that deep but yes, there is a part of me that would like to have the top set at some point.

I've actually sold some higher graded cards from the set in the past as I like the biography backs instead of the backs that feature an advertisement even though it is detrimental to my overall GPA.

Anymore questions?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry you lost the card collecting competition. >>

I just lost. Thanks, Lee.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    At least you can feel good in knowing that you are the reason he is #1. image

Okay not really but do you actually get something of value for being #1 on the registry like discounts for subs? If not bah who cares, you still are the better man since you put together your set and pushed his to where it currently is with your cards.
  • Options
    I am happier to have the sale although if I knew I would have delayed the transaction.
  • Options
    It might sting now but over the next few years as you're spending hundreds extra going back and forth from 1 to 2 the competition will only get tougher and alot more expensive.

I'm currently in this battle and it's alot of fun. I've also sold a ton of cards to a collector who is getting very close to me . He is a now a friend and my next competition.

In the spirit of wrestling tell him to bring it on. Good luck.
    Working my way to #1 1979 Topps Hockey
    I know it's going to be tough!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this song will cheer ya up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7rHCYtbZRo
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A wise man once said "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Get em next year.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am happier to have the sale although if I knew I would have delayed the transaction. >>

You did the right thing.

There's always next year to shoot for...

and good luck!
    Mike
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Is this funny to you sir?
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>

Is this funny to you sir? >>

It is to me. Great work, Lee.
  • Options
    Addiction!!! You'll have another high coming, just will cost you more.

Just like marijuana leads to others drugs. What does a dime bag go for nowadays compared to say an 8 ball?

Cards do have a lot of the same emotional feelings. So your out of Coke and you need to go find a dealer to get your fix... You will get high again, back in first place, but you'll probably run out again, and yet another buzz kill.

So the best thing to do right now is go on a binge and buy a whole bunch of cards that will make you feel good only for the time being, then yet another downer, As you realize you overpaid or spent too much. So you go buy some more.... Repeat, Repeat, etc.

Wish you the best of luck gaining back the badge.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"