Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the longest amount of time you have been watching a buy it now card? Update broke down and b

It occured to me I have been watching the same card for over 3 years. Another one has never shown up and the price has come down some, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I really want this card, but it still seems overpriced. Anyone else having the same dilema?

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I am dealing with that with a card I need for my registry. The seller bought it a year ago for $650. I offered him $850 and he laughed. He has had the card for sale for over a year, and recently, instead of coming down in price, jacked it up in price. I thanked him for putting it into the Ebay museum for me to enjoy, and I will retire my set and move on before I will ever obtain that card.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched a card for most of 2010. It didn't sell as a BIN and when it was offered as an auction, same thing that happened with Bobby's card, he jacked up the price $20.00 on the starting price!! image It's not a card I "need" since I don't really do sets or registry, just a card I would like to have. I closed my Ebay account recently...it's still for sale! image
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    I have been following a card now for about 5 months. It usually sells for under $80.00 and the seller had it as a BIN at $200+ with BO. I offered $100.00 and was turned down.

I have since watched him, relist it as an auction with a huge starting bid and then move it back to a BIN and then to an auction.

Kind of funny. I will keep watching it until someone lists another and I buy that.
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I have been watching 2 for at least 3 years now. The guy just refuses to budge more than 2 or 3 percent. They are tough items and I guess he is waiting for someone to breakdown and pay his price. I came real close once after half a bottle of scotch image
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patience is definitely a virtue. I watched a 1989 Topps Double Headers Mets/Yankees Test full box on Ebay for about 2 years. The BIN was $245. I needed the Keith Hernandez (Cardinals uni on back). I waited and finally another box came up for auction. I got it for $70+. I got my Hernandez and sold the box for $140! image

Shane

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I watched a card for over a year and never pulled the trigger, and once it was gone I really missed it. Was in a SGC holder and wanted to have that grade in PSA. I will never know if it will cross or not.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I've been watching a few for about 6 months now. Overpriced BIN's with NO best offer.
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect anything cool enough or rare enough that I can't find it eventually within like a 30 day period. image
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭
    I watched a Mark Brunell Auto #4/4 for nearly 4 years before he stopped listing stuff on ebay. The #4/4 would have completed the set since I had the other 3 (#1/4, #2/4 and #3/4). I offered him so many different options but all my offers where turned down.

On the other hand, I've had people tell me they've watched one of my items for years as well.

Just remember the ebay museum only cost .60 to list for an entire year (for me at least).
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Options
    Only one I have seen, glad it is a part of my collection.
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    I routinely watch 180+ different auctions, many for years now. Some have real high asking prices that I'm just kinda wondering if the item will ever sell at that price. Maybe I'm the reason why they keep relisting and relisting the same damn thing for years...they think someone out there is actually going to someday pay their price. Suckers!

All the while the ebay machine is sucking the money out of them...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Only one I have seen, glad it is a part of my collection. >>

So what was he asking for it? How much did you pay?
    VCP shows that card selling three times on eBay in 2010 and the highest price was $5.99. Am I looking at the wrong card?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Yes all the time. And not only on high priced items but cheap commons too. I once offered $10 for a card priced at $15---twice its value---and was turned down.
  • Options
    I paid $27 the cards your looking at are the regular hostess, no black bars on the back and larger font also see how the dashed lines on the front are missing on the sides. This one is much tougher. PSA has mislabeled a lot of regular hostess as Twinkies. I had a 1975 Hostess Hunter labeled as Twinkies but 77 is the only year for Hunter that there is a different version.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've watched stuff for longer than a year, one item was over 2 years. I finally broke down and made an offer lower than what he was looking for but higher than I had gone before and he finally accepted.

Congrats on your pickup...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I paid $27 the cards your looking at are the regular hostess, no black bars on the back and larger font also see how the dashed lines on the front are missing on the sides. This one is much tougher. PSA has mislabeled a lot of regular hostess as Twinkies. I had a 1975 Hostess Hunter labeled as Twinkies but 77 is the only year for Hunter that there is a different version. >>

AH .. OK ... thanks for pointing out the differences to me. Nice looking card you picked up. Enjoy it.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.