Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1960 Cincinnati Reds Autographed Ball

Can anyone give me a "ballpark" (pun intended) figure on the value of a baseball signed by the 1960 Cincinnati Reds team? This was the only year that Billy Martin played for the Reds. All of the signatures are legible, while a few have faded a bit. My Dad bought this for me while we were at Crosley Field for a game when I was 6-years-old.
"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

Comments

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds as if the ball in question is one of those facsimile/stamped signature balls.....Genuine hand signed baseballs were not available to the public @ the ballpark....

Obviously a picture would confirm this....If a souvenir ball, perhaps a value of $20 or so

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting on a new camera to be delivered and will post a photo asap. Thanks again. I will defer to your knowledge of such matters but, as an aside, a collector in Cincinnati, who viewed the ball, seemed to think that the signatures were genuine, not facsimiles.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Good Morning ClinkinKY.

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards. Looking forward to seeing your signed baseball. Nice family heirloom.

Lots of great guys on the board who will be able to let you know what they think about your ball.

Take care.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Sounds as if the ball in question is one of those facsimile/stamped signature balls.....Genuine hand signed baseballs were not available to the public @ the ballpark....

Obviously a picture would confirm this....If a souvenir ball, perhaps a value of $20 or so

===> are the sigs touching with overlap ? if yes, you've got a shot !!
    if they are all separate with no overlap, its a stamped ball...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Well. things aren't looking too good then, because there is no overlap. I will post a photo in the next couple weeks (assuming my new camera arrives) and will await the final verdict. I guess I was hoping it was real simply because I didn't think the "stamped ball machines" were available in 1960. Plus, the stamped balls I see today are very obvious whereas the signatures on my ball appear to be actual "handwriting". It might only be worth $20.00 monetarily but the sentimental value is "priceless". Thanks for replies.
    stamped balls date back to the 1940's; believe me if it is a stamped example, you are not the first nor the last that will be fooled by one.

The other key is that on a genuine team signed balls, the autographs are signed generally orderly in the same horizontal (stacked) direction (with the manager on the sweet spot). Most facsmile balls have the "signatures" at various angles with no rhyme/reason.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Well now you've piqued my hopes because the signatures are in an orderly "stacked" formation and Fred Hutchinson's signature "stands alone" where the seams are at their narrowest space (if you get my drift). I will post a photo asap.
    are there any printed markings on the ball at all? (Official League Ball, etc)
  • None whatsoever. That's not good, right?image

<< <i>None whatsoever. That's not good, right?image >>

right
  • Here are some photos I took with my phone:

http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z459/ClinkinKY/

Hope I did this right.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Thanks nam
    facsimile/souvenir ball....

sorry

IMF
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭

<< <i>facsimile/souvenir ball....

sorry

IMF >>

As he said but you can still enjoy the memories.
  • Thanks for everyone's input. Like I said, the sentimental value is much greater than anything I could have sold it for.