Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does PCGs Slab and Grade Pillar dollars?

I guess I have a Portrait dollar as it is dated 1821, will they grade that? What is the coin Number?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were multiple portrait 8 Reales struck in 1821 across different mints in South and Central America. You have a picture of the reverse, by any chance?

And yes, PCGS grades these coins.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Picture Ferdinand the 7th is on the obverse. Two pillers on the back with a big crown in the middle
  • Options
    Under the crown is a shield image
  • Options
    Z mint I think there is a Z next to the 8R
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Z = Zacatecas Mint, Mexico. Yes, they do!

Edited to add; I don't believe you will need to have a PCGS # as you would for US.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a strong believer that it helps to provide the PCGS # if one is available.

1821 Zacatecas 8 Reales is 513944 if the assayer initials are RG and 150455 if AZ.
  • Options
    Thanks! I have learned that some of these coins are cast counterfeits made in the 1880s but as such sell for about the same as originals. There are also two varieties of this 1821 Ferdi from the Z mint. Mine is real, its a real reale..... The key diagnostic on the real ones is can you see the mouth on Ferdi... Mine is auish au 55 I would say. Nice coin original gray and part o the Lafitte Hoard recently discovered after hurricane Katrina hit. This and many others where found under an old tree stump. Probably a small tree when planted to mark the spot.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... part o the Lafitte Hoard recently discovered after hurricane Katrina hit. This and many others where found under an old tree stump.. >>

Cool story. Is there any info online about this find? I Googled "Lafitte Hoard" and only found THIS:

"Fismer also displays "(Pirate Jean) Lafitte Hoard," a collection of early 19th century Spanish silver coins found near New Orleans when a stump was removed on the property of a family who had lost their home to hurricane Katrina, organizers said."

I also searched the site referenced in the article, TreasureExperience.com, but couldn't find anything.

It would be interesting to know what was found and how they connect it to the pirate Jean Lafitte.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    I will dig up some more info....
  • Options
    Robert Lewis Knecht is the guy who knows a lot ABOUT THIS HOARD.

www.CannonBeachTreasure.com

I think he knows the guy that found it or bought, hit up on him and call him 503-436-1626