Home U.S. Coin Forum

Goldberg sale in LA--Early dollars are smokin hot!

TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
I just finished attending the sale, and I got skunked. The Prices guides will go up dramatically soon.

Some of the lower grades went reasonably but almost all the rarities went high, and higher. The best result(for the good doctor H) was the 1798 small eagle dollar(13 stars) in AU 58. Hammered at $310,000( not a misprint); Another of the same variety sold in 09 for 230,000, and I thought that was crazy. I guess not.

The 1795 silver plug in AU 58 hammered at 120,000. Surprisingly, the MS 64's didn't do as well as the AU58's( relative to their high grade).

More to come in September!
TahoeDale

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Nice report! I think Larsen will stay away from the AU/MS grades! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    I sold both of those coins to the good doctor as well as a few others in the sale.

I was very happy to see the prices they brought. Both coins are very rare, especially the 1798 Small Eagle.

Overall, it looked to me like the doctor did quite well. He made money on every coin he purchased from me.

There has been a dearth of better quality, better date, Early Dollars for the past 4-5 years. It is refreshing to witness his success!

Congratulations Dr. H. !!!

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I just finished attending the sale, and I got skunked. The Prices guides will go up dramatically soon.

Some of the lower grades went reasonably but almost all the rarities went high, and higher. The best result(for the good doctor H) was the 1798 small eagle dollar(13 stars) in AU 58. Hammered at $310,000( not a misprint); Another of the same variety sold in 09 for 230,000, and I thought that was crazy. I guess not.

The 1795 silver plug in AU 58 hammered at 120,000. Surprisingly, the MS 64's didn't do as well as the AU58's( relative to their high grade).

More to come in September! >>

WOW! I just noticed the 1798 Small Eagle, 13 Stars in AU58 is listed in the PCGS price guide at $65K... that's 477%! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

<< <i>I just finished attending the sale, and I got skunked. The Prices guides will go up dramatically soon.

More to come in September! >>

WOW! I just noticed the 1798 Small Eagle, 13 Stars in AU58 is listed in the PCGS price guide at $65K... that's 477%! image >>

The price guide is lagging behind on several coins when compared to their recent auction prices (my comparables are Capped Bust Dimes)

Back to the topic at hand - it is great to see these coins get strong money and go to new homes.
    The collection was substantial in volume (by die marriages) and quality (of those die marriages).
    The good Doc H. did well, although I'm sure he's sad to see his babies leave!
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should this one go up on pcgs price guide too? image

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think the 1798 13 stars is tough in high grade ( the one I posted is an XF 45 cac ) try finding a 1798 small eagle 15 star!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Goldbergs always do great auctions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file