Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Great Britain Penny question

Could someone with some knowledge let me know if this is an error? This is the best I can do for the photos...thanks

imageimage

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Show us the front of the coin. -Dan
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    It looks like two coins joined together. Have 2 coins been hollowed out to make a box? If so you might find it unscrews or pulls apart. Does it ring when you tap it or is it obviously a dead sound? It isn't right, but doesn't look like an error because the toning is different on either side of the line - left side is lighter than the right, so it started as 2 coins.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Is the first pic one coin? Or two side by side? If it's the former, looks like a sandwich job.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • epruyneepruyne Posts: 154 ✭✭
    I guess I should have explained the picture a little more...the first picture is two coins side by side to compare widths. The coin on the left is a 1936 Penny and the one on the right is the one in question. No idea what year but I believe it is a Queen Victoria. I do not know anything about these coins, so it may just be that the older pennies were smaller and this is just tremendously worn possibly a pocket a piece.

I do appreciate the insights/thoughts.

• I have a couple of pennies that are thin like that. If you look very closely the diameter will also be very slightly under size. These penneis have come about by some one dripping them in acid. Taking the thickness down by a half a millimeter will reduce the thickness considerably whereas half a millimeter of the diameter is hardly noticable.