Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Double End Roll Toning?

I recently purchased a coin on eBay, a NGC MS63 1953 Cuban Peso, it appeared to be an average coin with some toning present. When the coin was in hand the toning proved to be far superior than the way it appeared online. As I examined the coin I noticed that both sides apparently have end roll toning. I was wondering how is this possible as only one side of the coin can be on the outside of a roll? Is it rare?

Any thoughts?

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson

Comments

• olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Maybe it was placed in an undersized 2 x 2 holder??
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭
    Very intriguing theory -- better than anything I could think of...! Other possibilities, anyone?
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    It was a very short roll. Or, They turned the rolloverimage
  • My theory is that is was placed in one of those sterling silver pendents that overlap the edges of the coin, and it sat in some woman's jewelry box unworn, because frankly, it made a crappy looking necklace.

I speak from personal experience, having placed a Peace Dollar in one for my mom when I was young. It too made a crappy looking necklace, but of course my mom wouldn't tell me that.
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Maybe someone had a roll with no dates visible? Opened the roll and then put it back with the date showing for future reference? Just a thought, as I have done this in the past with some US coinage but without the toning you have. Nice pick up...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...