Comments

• Options
    I'm bidding...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Any guesses where it ends up?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop 1/1 and recently graded, too. Stunning card!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a multi thousand dollar card?

• Options
    I'd say 1500 range
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say 1500 range >>

I would take the over.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    pristine_paper has some crappy scans.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>pristine_paper has some crappy scans. >>

I thought the same thing.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful card! It's always a pleasure to see him in a Yankee uniform.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm bidding... >>

I was going to throw a couple dollars on it,but not know,Good luck Rick
    hope you bring it home.
    U FOLD<I WIN
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    too much to pay for a Catfish.

i'll have the lobster.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    what's the deal with this seller? How do they have so many BGS 10's (including a bird/johnson rc)? Does the doctored stuff go to bgs?
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    holy cow
    I have that card in a psa 9
    I think ipaid $27
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Since he is in a Yankees uniform the card will sell for a premium. If he were in an A's uniform it would sell for a lot less.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>what's the deal with this seller? How do they have so many BGS 10's (including a bird/johnson rc)? Does the doctored stuff go to bgs? >>

sheet cut would be a good guess

rd
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>what's the deal with this seller? How do they have so many BGS 10's (including a bird/johnson rc)? Does the doctored stuff go to bgs? >>

rd >>

I was wondering that too, but that would only make sense for the 9.5's, right? (as the surface on sheetcuts always get 9's I've heard, which is supposedly the giveaway if they actually get the border size right).
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Some nice action so far on this one.

Where are all the wise guys that say Snipping is the only way to go?

Some major bidders jocking for position early here.

This kind of early bidding means this is going to go for a lot more then the current price.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snipping? That sounds painful!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

rd >>

I was wondering that too, but that would only make sense for the 9.5's, right? (as the surface on sheetcuts always get 9's I've heard, which is supposedly the giveaway if they actually get the border size right). >>

I always thought something was up with them too. I have watched them list a lot of PSA 10 low pop hockey hall of fame rookies over the last year. All newly graded too.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    Snipping? That sounds painful!
    And could become illegal in some cities in Californiaimage
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>holy cow
    I have that card in a psa 9
    I think ipaid $27 >>

Nice value Doc ... VCP is $55 - $60 in a "9".
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Snipping? That sounds painful! >>

HAHAHAHA ... wow ... what an extra "p" can do to change the meaning of a word! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Once again, the seller of this card should be kneeling down at the altar of THE REGISTRY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    It always seemed to me to be a tougher card in mint or better. It's been a couple years since I followed
    them on Ebay but it was one that never showed up along with the Brett and Winfield..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I'm still bidding...can't overtake him...I'll have to snipe it...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options

<< <i>I'd say 1500 range >>

WOW ... SIX days to go and it's already over $1,500.00.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    unreal...its high pop 9 too, not a tough card...
    ( I used to have the #2 1976 Topps PSA set registry set )
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    I'm going to guess $4,700.
  • Options
    SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>unreal...its high pop 9 too, not a tough card...
    ( I used to have the #2 1976 Topps PSA set registry set ) >>

High pop 9, huh? For this price one would have to be a fool to NOT breakout a sharp PSA 9 and resubmit.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Well lets be real no 76 Topps are tough but when I was collecting this set the Hunter
    was pretty tough in a 9. Looks like there is 41 9's on it now.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

+1

rd

edit: P.S. Having the #1 '76 registry set for years, I can tell you there is no way I would pay this kind of money for a Hunter! It was posted earlier, the way to go here would be to resub a nice 9, I agree!
  • Options
    The Bull Market in rare cards continues.

There is a real trend here for the time being and very rare items are breaking records!

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>The Bull Market in rare cards continues.

There is a real trend here for the time being and very rare items are breaking records! >>

By definition, you can't break a record on a 1/1.

Graded card prices have taken a huge dump in the past 5 years. Obviously there are going to be exceptions in a market this diversified, but if you had an index for graded cards it would have probably lost 35% of it's market value since 2006.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I agree with both- Broadly speaking card prices are down the past few years, but "ego" cards are on fire right now for some reason. Will be interesting to see if it translates into a broader rally in graded cards.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    I don't think it will broaden, cards like this will always command a premium as the people that generally end up with them have more of an expendable income than the general population.
  • Options

I could see paying some big dollars for a tough mint card like a 1976 Joe Torre PSA 10, where there are only 11 graded mint examples (10 PSA 9s & 1 PSA 10).

I spent a few years trying to find a Torre in PSA 9 for my set, a PSA 10 Torre? Unimaginable!

Or paying "four figures" for the Holy Grail of 1976 Topps Baseball, the #19 George Brett (Population of 7 PSA 9s, none higher). My Brett PSA 9 example for my '76 set, was a pretty ugly example. I felt the PSA grader gave pity on such a scarce card and graded it "on the curve", or the grader "got some" from his wifey the night before, and was in such a good mood "gave it a 9", the next morning! Nah! image

rd
  • Options
    Bottom line is EGO cards as you call them are on fire!!

This is a good thing for the card market!

• Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>

There is a real trend here for the time being and very rare items are breaking records! >>

Graded card prices have taken a huge dump in the past 5 years. Obviously there are going to be exceptions in a market this diversified, but if you had an index for graded cards it would have probably lost 35% of it's market value since 2006. >>

I agree with this. I also would like to add that ebay also has a huge influence on card prices. Example. Ebay is hopping like it was in 2005 graded card prices are up. Ebay is doing badly. Card prices/value in general go down. This is why we as a hobby need to ditch ebay imo. Ebay is ruining the hobby in many ways. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Graded card prices have taken a huge dump in the past 5 years. Obviously there are going to be exceptions in a market this diversified, but if you had an index for graded cards it would have probably lost 35% of it's market value since 2006. >>

A dealer friend of mine said that he uses SMR pricing to quote inventory for IRS purposes, and his SMR value in card inventory has gone down about 40% since 2005. His inventory isn't fixed but he is also a collector and he said his PSA sets have gone down in price at about the same rate.

How showed me his spread sheet with yearly SMR values and you would vomit at some of the price decreases, especially in sets like T202's and Diamond Stars.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

this was a scan of my Brett (no 10s)

1/7 PSA 9s

Mine was just a marginal PSA 9 at best!

You think a PSA 9 Brett should be worth more than the PSA 10 Hunter image

rd

• Options
    PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    But is it worth as much as that Joe Torre, if there ever is one.
  • Options
    This baby just eclipsed the 2k mark and looks to be heading higher.

I think this is going to get real interesting at the end for sure!
  • Options
    just thought i'd bump this thread with about 2 hours left in the auction. I'm really curious as to how much this card sells for. Any guesses???
    70's and 80's baseball cards
  • Options
    Stupid wild guess $4,500

• Options
    i'll say $4,190
  • Options
    popcorn poppin and beer chillin
  • Options

<< <i>this is gonna be a fun one to watch >>

l bumpin the link
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is worthless without popcorn girl for the home stretch.
    Mike
    Bosox1976