Home Sports Talk

The Yankee's are on their way

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

to the American league east cellar. YEAH !!!

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't count out the NYY until they are mathematically eliminated. They are typically the best second-half team in the league.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If I am not mistaken they are in first place by 1 1/2 games so it would not be a wild card entry. They are a world series contender no matter how you look at it as they have put everything together the past month. The Yankees on the other hand are in complete disarray and are showing no signs of snapping out of it at this point. Their pitching is in bad shape. They do score a lot of runs but it is mostly by the home run ball. I figure them to come in with the wild card if they are lucky and get swept away in the playoffs.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing that the Red Sox are in first place, considering their horrible start.

Hey, I'd like to see a Phillies - Yankees rematch in the World Series, but if the Phillies beat the Red Sox instead of the Yankees in the upcoming World Series, that would still be fine with me.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I would like to see the 1998 Yankees vs 2011 Philadelphia Phillies. Now that would be a series IMO.

<< <i>I would like to see the 1998 Yankees vs 2011 Philadelphia Phillies. Now that would be a series IMO. >>

You'd have to build some sort of "Field of Dreams" image
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty amazing that the Red Sox are in first place, considering their horrible start.

Hey, I'd like to see a Phillies - Yankees rematch in the World Series, but if the Phillies beat the Red Sox instead of the Yankees in the upcoming World Series, that would still be fine with me. >>

I would have no problem accepting the invitation there StevieBoy.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't count out the NYY until they are mathematically eliminated. They are typically the best second-half team in the league. >>

Agreed. But the Yankees are in a heap of trouble on pitching, so they will need to score a lot of runs for almost every game.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would like to see the 1998 Yankees vs 2011 Philadelphia Phillies. Now that would be a series IMO. >>

You'd have to build some sort of "Field of Dreams" image >>

there's always stratomatic baseball......wait till next year and then put it together!!!
    That is not representative of what the sox are doing right now .

They have gotten it all together after a rough start and are really clicking now.

They have an abundance of pitching which the Yankees do not.

The sox will be hard to beat..

I don't have one but all I have to do is look at the depth of the Yankee's pitching staff and it will show you all you need to see.
    Any truth to the rumor that the Yankees may be joining the Dodgers and Giants in a move to California?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't count out the NYY until they are mathematically eliminated. They are typically the best second-half team in the league. >>

Agreed. But the Yankees are in a heap of trouble on pitching, so they will need to score a lot of runs for almost every game. >>

The Yanks have a team ERA of 3.63, 5th in the AL. The Red Sox are at 3.99, 9th in the AL. >>

Yeah, and headed in different directions. Maybe Sabathia can pitch every other game, he's pretty durable.

<< <i>Any truth to the rumor that the Yankees may be joining the Dodgers and Giants in a move to California? >>

New Yorkers would start rioting if that were to happen.

I for one would be their with my torch and pitch fork if that were to happen...

How about England ,Germany, Italy, Russia,China, Japan, Greece, or Australia.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I'm a Yankee fan, and have seen them long enough to know that this team is going nowhere-- not without a major pitching addition.

Of course we are all just prognosticating here. For my money they'll--at best-- go out like the wack Torre softball teams. First round and bounced.

Does any rational fan think Colon, Nova, Garcia, and Burnett will maintain their current quality over the rest of this long season? We've already seen signs of Nova and Burnett returning to form.

Soriano is unlikely to help at all this season.

Without him, the pen is meh. Joba crumbles. Mo is not immortal. By the way, what happens when he is finally gone?

And Jeter batting .255 for a season with all those GIDP and no power whatsoever, not to mention his ever-decreasing range. Will Jeter really eat up DH at bats in 2012? He's ruining his legacy with this pathetic limp to 3000 hits. His OBP is atrocious to boot. After a .270 year in 2010, who thinks he'll switch it on and bat .320 the remainder of the season?

Swisher... There are no words. He mugs for the fans and cameras and so many forget his hysterical post season stats, or career stats for that matter. Yes, the man walks.

Posada, have loved him for years, but, like Jeter, can't he hang it up with some dignity?

Gardner... not pretty numbers through 1/4th of a season. What's scary is his stealing %.

Point is that SS, DH, and the corner OF positions are really weaker than people realize. That's 4/9 of the lineup. Now granted, many teams would kill for five productive slots, but for the money the Yankees put into their product? Being able to sustain crappy business decisions because they are a global money-printing brand (decisions like paying Jeter what they are this year for his past performance, or AJ's contract) is no excuse. Any other business, those decision makers would be fired for such stupidity.

Bottom line: when the Yankees won that slew of titles, it was with a young, homegrown Jeter, Williams, Posada, Pettite, and Mo. And with prime guys with intensity, like say Cone and O'Neill. This team does not have that complexion. Hughes and Joba and Nova are not those five guys from the late 90's. Not even close. Fans don't have to be fanatic. I find it healthy to temper rooting for my team with some objective realism.

<< <i>How about England ,Germany, Italy, Russia,China, Japan, Greece, or Australia. >>

I've heard that rumor as well...also that they are going to transform the team from baseball to soccer...it will take a bit of retraining for the players, but the players have stated that as long as they get paid, they don't care which sport they have to play.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    The Sox are on their way also.
    Pretty sad sweep this week. Even watching the indians tonight and they can't seem to get those last two outs. Walking in runs. So Rivera is called in and now it is commercial. At least Posada's bat is coming to life. Jeter's too! He has a 6 game hitting streak as of right now.

Joba is done too. Bummer! He was awesome when he first arrived to the majors. I think Girardi's wonderful coaching had a lot to do with the down fall of Chamberlain.