Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Buying off Ebay

I have never purchased an expensive card directly from someone on a forum. Is there a safe way to do this or any recommended steps I should take? Am I fully protected by using paypal? Thx in advance for any suggestions.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    You will be fully protected if you put it on your credit card....
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Should be fine using paypal -- no gift.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    When buying off eBay, make sure that you garner some of the savings the seller avoids. I usually expect a minimum of a 10% discount just in the saved fees.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Stay away from those retarded hockey cards and you should be good to go.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stay away from those retarded hockey cards and you should be good to go. >>

Boopotts-Until you find some more PSA10s for my desert shield set, I'm left to spend my money on less exciting things..
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    With hundreds and hundreds of buys, I can say ebay is a fairly safe venue, at least now days. I have been taken for $400-$500 over the years, mainly 3 large orders (boxes, a half case of Heritage, and a bunch of entertainment memorbilia). One guy, and I'll name him-carmencita had excellent ratings, in fact they all did. Jill Kearney owns or owned a card shop in the northeast and had a 100% rating. She took me for $200 for boxes she never delivered. Pay Pal paid me for all but $50 on that one. I guess the lesson is that there is always a scumbag trying to rip someone off. Pay Pal has gotten better about getting involved only because of a couple of law suits. In the past they were all hands off, only willing to forward emails from party to party. But anytime you purchase online, you take a chance, maybe a slim chance, but a chance never the less.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I fully protected by using paypal? >>

Probably about as much as a condom?
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should be fine using paypal -- no gift. >>

+1
    Mike
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Great input. Glad to know i'm protected with paypal, even in transactions not involving ebay.

• Options
    GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    you will have no problem buying as many cards as you want in EX/MINT condition when stated to be in MINT condition. Don't know about the rest of you but I have pretty much stopped buying any raw cards or sets on ebay anymore because of the amount of crap people are selling described as "MINT". I know I can get a refund through paypal and all but it's all a big hassle. Stay with graded cards and you know what you're getting. Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only difference with direct paypal payments is the buyer protection covers INR claims only, not SNAD claims.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The only difference with direct paypal payments is the buyer protection covers INR claims only, not SNAD claims. >>

Not anymore... everything is covered now.