Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Happy Memorial Day from a Vet

To all our board members here - have a Happy Memorial Day!

I served for 30 yrs - it all started in the pic above.

I held many jobs in the Army - I'm most proud of just being a soldier.

My prayers go out to all those overseas right now - for a safe return home.

I never take for granted that we have brave people who serve because - well it's just the right thing to do - for some.

The first Bud's on me!
Mike

Comments

• YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Happy Memorial Day to you as well and thank you for your service image
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    When should we all expect our PayPal payment to cover that first beer image

Edited to say: Actually we should all send you a quick PayPal gift to cover a beer. We could all get you pretty wasted image
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Thanks to Mike and all the other veterans out there!!! This one's for you. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    To Mike and everyone who has protected our FREEDOM:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Thanks for your service! I never forget that the reason we have our freedoms is because of fine gentleman as yourself.

Thanks to all that have served and protected us,

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Thanks for you service Mike! Happy Memorial Day!
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    thank you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• From the Columbus Dispatch yesterday...beautiful and sussinct.

What does Memorial Day mean to you? For most adults, it's a day off of work. For kids, it's a day out of school; for many of our local school children, it's the beginning of the first full week of summer vacation.

For race fans, the day is all about the Indianapolis 500. For many more of us, it might mean a hot dog on the grill, or a trip to the beach.

In Columbus, there's a special tie to Memorial Day; the origins of the nation's original Decoration Day began with the decorating of Union and Confederate graves in Friendship Cemetery. Still, most of us, even here, keep our focus on leisure, food, or even shopping.

Memorial Day is for all of these things. But before we set off on our Memorial Day weekend, we should all pause to remember this number: 1,344,000. That's the number of American military members who have died in the service of their country during U.S. wars.

First and foremost, this day is for those 1,344,000 lives cut short, and their untold millions of dreams left forgotten and unfulfilled.

Consider that those losses represent a change in the course of our nation. In Columbus, we're steeped in Civil War history. Consider the fact that in that war alone -- America's costliest -- nearly 2 percent of the entire U.S. population died in uniform. Think of the more than 600,000 people in their prime who died in that conflict who never had children, never grew old. Imagine the infinite number of inventions never created, books never written, discoveries never made, buildings never designed, songs never sung. Just because of that one war.

Of course, behind all these numbers are acts of heroism and sacrifice, known and unknown, on battlefields large and small, on every imaginable landscape in every corner of the globe. Those 1,344,000 saved countless other lives, and preserved our nation, because of their deeds and their sense of duty. In the end, we're all their children. We owe everything to them.

Imagine America as a sculpture carved from a marble block. The sacrifices of the 1,344,000 represent the spaces that have been carved away. The shape of our nation is what remains.

America is carved from a solid block of sacrifice. That's what Memorial Day means to us, and what we believe it should mean to us all.
    I NEED HANKS!!!