Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Please Educate Me! Old Spanish Silver.

Can you tell me anything about these coins, I have never collected nor purchased any of these before, but I saw them at the local coin shop and got the trio for less than $100, it sounded reasonable, so they came home with me. Any insight, information, or snide remarks are welcome...for all I know I got took!

Comments

• Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Less than $100?!? RIP!!! The 8 Reales is probably worth $300 ish. Maybe Roman can chime in on this one!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    made in Mexico (former Spanish colony) silver trade coins, to pay mainly for all those wars Spain fought in the good old days.
    all 3 coins were struck in the reign of spanish King Ferdinand VI (1746-1759)
    they come in 1/2 real - 1 - 2 - 4 and 8 reales , 1 real is approx 3,5 gram of silver.
    these coins were accepted all around the world , forerunner of the US dollar.
    loads of these coins were shipped between Mexico and Spain, some didn't make it, they were seized by the enemies
    of Spain ---> England & the Netherlands , or the spanish ships sunk in storms near the coast of Florida.

pillars & waves design: standing for the pillars of Hercules, and the atlantic ocean - PLUS ULTRA = more beyond
    VTRAQUE VNUM = we stand together , meaning the spanish colonies in middle and south america and Spain.

back: the spanish provinces of LEON (lion) and Castile (castle) 3 fleurs de lis for Burgundy (France)
    reads: Rex=king Fernando VI D.G. (by the grace of God ) of Spain and the Indies.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick-up for $100. All 3 coins seem to be real. Although to be sure you should post the weight, diameter, and a picture of the edge of that 8 Reales.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'll weigh it and take some pics.