Home Sports Talk

If the Heat and Mavericks play for the NBA title, what is your prediction on the outcome of that ser

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
With Miami and Dallas each having 3-1 leads in the conference championship series, odds are that these two teams will pay for the title.

If so, which team will win and what will the record be [4-0, 4-1, 4-2 or 4-3]?

Comments

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    What I hope will happen...Dallas 4, Miami 0. image

What will probably happen...Miami 4, Dallas 3. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    "Yes we did"....that cracks me up....the only thing they have done so far is collude with Pat Riley to create a "superteam" while holding 5 other teams hostage.

If there is a basketball god somewhere, he will make sure the Heat don't win.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>"Yes we did"....that cracks me up....the only thing they have done so far is collude with Pat Riley to create a "superteam" while holding 5 other teams hostage.

If there is a basketball god somewhere, he will make sure the Heat don't win. >>

Whatever! They beat the cr@p out of your over the hill, "bought team"! image

rd

P.S. edit: Guess the basketball Gods believe in "free agency", Pat Riley, figured he would get "a big three" just like the Boston Celtics did. Boston bought their Championship, with their "big three". Riley thought if it can work for Boston, it will work for Miami! We shall see.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Yes we did"....that cracks me up....the only thing they have done so far is collude with Pat Riley to create a "superteam" while holding 5 other teams hostage.

If there is a basketball god somewhere, he will make sure the Heat don't win. >>

Whatever! They beat the cr@p out of your over the hill, "bought team"! image

rd >>

The C's were put together through trades and the draft. The Heat did nothing wrong and they were within the rules, but don't say the C's were bought.

<< <i>The C's were put together through trades and the draft. The Heat did nothing wrong and they were within the rules, but don't say the C's were bought. >>

Not so fast;

"...Bosh and James' deals were completed through sign-and-trades, making all three eligible for 10.5 percent raises each year.

The Heat sent two future first-round and two second-round picks to the Cavaliers for James, while packaging two first-round picks to the Raptors for Bosh..."

rd

edit: P.S. The term "bought" can mean the "hundreds of millions" that both Boston & Miami paid in "multi-year contract(s)". The big difference between the two: Boston, traded for an "over 30 year old guard" (Allen) & plus an aged Garnett, additionally Pierce was "no spring chicken". On the other hand, Pat Riley decided to build a "younger" big three model. Like I said, we shall see if a dynasty was formed in Miami!

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    Whoever wins the east will be the champs in 6.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>What I hope will happen...Dallas 4, Miami 0. image

What will probably happen...Miami 4, Dallas 3. image >>

My sentiments exactly. You breathe on a Heat player and
    he's going to the line. I like Wade, can't stand Lebro.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dallas, 4-0.

Wunderbar!
    <<<The Heat did nothing wrong and they were within the rules>>>

I'm pretty sure what the Heat did amounts to tampering. It's a well-known FACT that these 3 guys had this plan in place for 2 years...and guess what, Riley had to be in on it in order to clear the cap space to make it happen. If the NBA really wanted to investigate, they would find that they broke all sorts of rules. The NBA chose to look the other way.

If Stern was smart, he'd rig the finals so that the Mavs win. Otherwise, it'll be pointless to tune into the playoffs for the next 5 years, because if nobody can beat the Heat this year, they are never going to be beat......Unless, you know, Stern allows another owner to tamper with another group of 3 superstars, and maybe knock the Heat off.

<< <i>I'm pretty sure what the Heat did amounts to tampering. It's a well-known FACT that these 3 guys had this plan in place for 2 years...and guess what, Riley had to be in on it in order to clear the cap space to make it happen. If the NBA really wanted to investigate, they would find that they broke all sorts of rules. The NBA chose to look the other way.

If Stern was smart, he'd rig the finals so that the Mavs win. Otherwise, it'll be pointless to tune into the playoffs for the next 5 years, because if nobody can beat the Heat this year, they are never going to be beat......Unless, you know, Stern allows another owner to tamper with another group of 3 superstars, and maybe knock the Heat off. >>

Look at it this way! The Celtics wont be the "most hated team" in the East any longer! image

rd

edit: P.S. BTW, Garnett fell out of the top five in NBA jersey sales this year, looks like James & Wade are both in the top 5 this year, and yes, most sales were adult sizes! image (...and God only knows just what kind of "back office secret stuff" took place during the months before the Bostonians acquired Allen and Garnett (..would loved to have been "a fly on the wall" in the Celtics' exec. offices during those negotiations!) image
    <<<(...and God only knows just what kind of "back office secret stuff" took place during the months before the Bostonians acquired Allen and Garnett (..would loved to have been "a fly on the wall" in the Celtics' exec. offices during those negotiations!)>>>

I don't even know what this means. Are you trying to say that GMs of not one, but two, franchises, traded their best players to Boston without any regard for what that meant for their own teams?

Bosh, Wade, and James were all FREE AGENTS. Free to go wherever they wanted. They all backed down from the challenge from trying lead their own teams to a title, and instead figured it would be so much easier to win the title if they all just played together somewhere. Meanwhile, they each went on a 6-city tour last summer to give the impression that they really were testing the free agent market, when all along, they KNEW they were going to end up in Miami.

What a bunch of frauds.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That "YES.WE.DID." pic was probably made before the season even started... that's just how lame Miami is. If Miami wins the championship, it will be because they were supposed to... not because they earned it.

>>>>

<< <i>That "YES.WE.DID." pic was probably made before the season even started... that's just how lame Miami is. If Miami wins the championship, it will be because they were supposed to... not because they earned it. >>

Even if you hate and trashed my Miami Heat boys,
    I still admire your great Ripken basic registry set.
    (Glad to see you hit @ 100%! Good struff!)

rd

P.S. Now go ahead an download the d@mn scan already for your 2000 SP Authentic Ripken PSA 10!
    What are your waiting for? (...plus pics for your '93 Pinnacle & '94 Fleer PSA 10s, would be appreciated also!) image

edit: Also, I put together a contest for all us basketball fans, weither you love or hate the Heat & Mavs, they did it!

So voice your opinion, make your picks and win some Jordan/Bulls memorabilia

The contest is over on the: SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM THREAD.

Here's the link, contest, open to all! Mavs vs. Heat Contest LINK

rd

good luck! image
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i><<<(...and God only knows just what kind of "back office secret stuff" took place during the months before the Bostonians acquired Allen and Garnett (..would loved to have been "a fly on the wall" in the Celtics' exec. offices during those negotiations!)>>>

I don't even know what this means. Are you trying to say that GMs of not one, but two, franchises, traded their best players to Boston without any regard for what that meant for their own teams?

Bosh, Wade, and James were all FREE AGENTS. Free to go wherever they wanted. They all backed down from the challenge from trying lead their own teams to a title, and instead figured it would be so much easier to win the title if they all just played together somewhere. Meanwhile, they each went on a 6-city tour last summer to give the impression that they really were testing the free agent market, when all along, they KNEW they were going to end up in Miami.

What a bunch of frauds. >>

Why does this angle still get so much play? Look, I can't stand the Heat either but if we can all agree on one thing it's that with only a few fluky exceptions (like the '04 Pistons) you simply cannot win a title without multiple blue-chip players. Everyone likes to carry on about Michael Jordan, but he didn't win a damn thing without Scotty Pippen, and that Bulls team won 50 games AFTER he retired. I hear all this crap from old-timers about how they 'never would have done what Wade and Lebron did', while conveniently ignoring that they didn't HAVE to switch teams because they already had decent-to-excellent supporting casts. Lebron, by contrast, had just a wreck of team in Cleveland, and there was no sign that things there were ever going to improve. Who can blame him for bailing? And how could anyone rightfully blame Wade or Bosh for wanting to play out their careers with a man who just might end up being the best player who ever lived?

<< <i>That "YES.WE.DID." pic was probably made before the season even started... that's just how lame Miami is. If Miami wins the championship, it will be because they were supposed to... not because they earned it. >>

Yeah, but look on the bright side. You still have all those Eagle Scouts at OSU to root for this fall!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>And how could anyone rightfully blame Wade or Bosh for wanting to play out their careers with a man who just might end up being the best player who ever lived?<<<

Sorry, but James will N E V E R replace Jordan as the best player ever!!!

<< <i>Yeah, but look on the bright side. You still have all those Eagle Scouts at OSU to root for this fall! >>

Touché image
    <<<Why does this angle still get so much play?>>>

It's not that they came together in Miami, it's HOW they came together. No doubt, you need at least 2 superstars to have a decent shot at a title. But, he could have went to 5 other teams that didn't already have a Top 5 player (nobody knew at the time that Rose would make the leap to MVP status this year), but had another star or superstar, and led a team to title. Instead he shied away from that challenge. For that reason, IMO he should NEVER enter into the discussion of G.O.A.T.

<< <i><<<Why does this angle still get so much play?>>>

It's not that they came together in Miami, it's HOW they came together. No doubt, you need at least 2 superstars to have a decent shot at a title. But, he could have went to 5 other teams that didn't already have a Top 5 player (nobody knew at the time that Rose would make the leap to MVP status this year), but had another star or superstar, and led a team to title. Instead he shied away from that challenge. For that reason, IMO he should NEVER enter into the discussion of G.O.A.T. >>

I still don't get it. So it's OK to go play with, say, the 12th best player in the league, but not the 4th best?

Also, whether or not he becomes the greatest player of all time has nothing to do with shying away from a challenge. It has to do with how he plays on the court, and nothing more. Theoretically a man could loathe any challenge whatsoever, avg. 43/15/14 a night, and go down as the greatest player to every lace up a pair of high tops.

<< <i><<<Why does this angle still get so much play?>>>

It's not that they came together in Miami, it's HOW they came together. No doubt, you need at least 2 superstars to have a decent shot at a title. But, he could have went to 5 other teams that didn't already have a Top 5 player (nobody knew at the time that Rose would make the leap to MVP status this year), but had another star or superstar, and led a team to title. Instead he shied away from that challenge. For that reason, IMO he should NEVER enter into the discussion of G.O.A.T. >>

Besides Wade & Bosh, just maybe he wanted to go home to this after a home game, and not the blizzard-like conditions of the "Great Lake Effect" of Chitown. No more frozen pipes for LeBron! He paid many millions for this South Florida beauty! Guess LJ wants to stay for a while here? image

rd

Oh, so he didn't put a 5' portrait of his face on the outside of this house like he did on his house in Akron (Bath Township)?

<< <i>Oh, so he didn't put a 5' portrait of his face on the outside of this house like he did on his house in Akron (Bath Township)? >>

His HOA wouldn't allow it! image

rd

<< <i>Oh, so he didn't put a 5' portrait of his face on the outside of this house like he did on his house in Akron (Bath Township)? >>

That's such an awesome idea that I'm now thinking of putting a portrait of me on my own house.
    boo - it's really quite simple. LeBron wants to be considered "a global icon" and "one of the best to ever play the game". But he has no desire to WORK for it. He wants it handed to him. He's been in the league for 7 years, and would be IMPOSSIBLE for 3's to guard in the low post. Yet he has not even attempted to develop any sort of low-post game.

Pippen is an absolute moron for trying to compare LeBron to MJ. They are worlds apart.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO Jordan is the best player ever. LeBron is on track to join him at the top. Back to the question of how the series will play out. Wade misses a shot at the end of the first game that would have won it. Heat lose by one. Game 2, LeBron slams a dunk off the back of the rim that would have broken the tie with seconds to go. Although double teamed Dirk throws up a prayer that is answered at the buzzer. Mavs up two. Game three, Wade is off, LeBron scores ok but has several turnovers. Mavs win easily. Heat down three. Game 4, Heat are being embarassed. Wade and James get snippy with each other. Mavs 101 Heat 79. During the off season Miami offers Dwight Howard a huge contract which he accepts. They trade Bosh for Kobe who is upset about not being consulted about the new Laker coaching position and demanded a trade. LeBron claims the Heat will now win 8 or 9 titles.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>boo - it's really quite simple. LeBron wants to be considered "a global icon" and "one of the best to ever play the game". But he has no desire to WORK for it. He wants it handed to him. He's been in the league for 7 years, and would be IMPOSSIBLE for 3's to guard in the low post. Yet he has not even attempted to develop any sort of low-post game.

Pippen is an absolute moron for trying to compare LeBron to MJ. They are worlds apart. >>

We'll have to disagree. They are not worlds apart; I would take the 26 year old Lebron over the 26 year old MJ without hesitation. You, along with everyone else, continue to underestimate the quality of MJ's supporting cast during those six title runs. Without MJ they were very good, and with him they were great. The Cavs without Lebron, however, are one of the worst teams in the league.

With regards to the work ethic question, If Lebron wins the title this year against Dallas he will have certainly 'worked for it'. Would you be playing this 'worked for it' card if Lebron had been drafted by the Heat, and not signed as a FA? Look- I am not a Lebron fan. I have family in Cleveland, so I know what he did to that city. But he is, without question, a singular talent in the world of basketball.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i> But he is, without question, a singular talent in the world of basketball. >>

With no rings on either finger. And MJ would have won multiple titles with last year's Cavs team. This "all star" supporting cast from Chicago I keep hearing about....In reality, that cast changed often. Titles were won with and without Rodman, Harper etc. And what did Pippen do without MJ? Total mediocrity.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

------ b~u~m~p~ ------

Come and try your luck, while there are some good spots left!

I put together a contest for all us basketball fans (Heat vs. Mavs "pick a winner" contest), weither you love or hate the Heat & Mavs, they did it!

rd

good luck! image

<< <i>

<< <i> But he is, without question, a singular talent in the world of basketball. >>

With no rings on either finger. And MJ would have won multiple titles with last year's Cavs team. This "all star" supporting cast from Chicago I keep hearing about....In reality, that cast changed often. Titles were won with and without Rodman, Harper etc. And what did Pippen do without MJ? Total mediocrity. >>

Scottie Pippen was the best perimeter defender of the 1990's, averaged around 20 ppg. as the second option on those Bulls teams, and was 33 years old or so when he left for Houston. True, Pippen's career stalled out after he left Chicago, but he was an OLD 33 by then. So, while his post-33 career was certainly mediocre, If you think Scotty Pippen was a mediocre player in his prime, or had a mediocre career, then you know nothing about basketball.

As far as the assertion that MJ would have won 'multiple titles' with the trash heap that was the 09-10 Cavs team, well, we'll simply have to part ways on that issue. It's worth noting, however, that the Bulls without MJ averaged around 50 wins a season during his two year absence, while the Cavs without LeBron had the longest losing streak in NBA history and ended up in the lottery.

<< <i>
    Scottie Pippen was the best perimeter defender of the 1990's. >>

LOL. Actually, MJ was the best perimeter defender in the history of the game. This issue was discussed at length on a recent episode of Pardon The Interruption. MJ's status as greatest perimeter defender was agreed upon by both Wilpon and Kornheiser.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

[q I would argue that Bird nor Magic ever had a second that good, except maybe a couple of years for Magic with Jabbar, and even that I wouldn't personally say. >>

Let me make sure I'm hearing this right. You're suggesting that Bird and Magic didn't have as good a supporting cast as MJ? MJ had Horace Grant and Will Perdue in the paint instead of Kevin McHale and Bill Walton or Kareem Abdul Jabbar and James Worthy as teammates ...Lets stop the madness right now before you dig that hole too deep.

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

Well said. You get the feeling that the whole world is pulling for the Mavs this series - not too much love for the Heat and the cheap way they came together. Plus, it would be cool to see Dirk finally get a ring - and even cooler to see LeFraud fall short once again.
    <<<And as for Jordan, he didn't have to play those Celtic or Sixers or Lakers' teams to win his titles. His toughest competition was the likes of a Malone/Stockton, Barkley/KJ, Isaih and company. I'm really impressed.>>>

So, you mean LeBron's task of moving through the Iguodala-led Sixers, an aging, banged up Celtics team, and a one-man show (who is 22) in Chicago was harder than MJs title runs?

Also, LeBron plays in an age when he can go to the hole with abandon, KNOWING there is ZERO chance of anyone knocking him on his a$$. Jordan didn't have that luxury. If he went to the paint, there was a chance that he could get a forearm shiver that sent him flying into the stanchion. Not to mention hand checking was phased out only towards the end of Jordan's Bulls career. So during his prime, he not only had to fight off hand checks to get to the rim, if he did get that far, there was someone there waiting to give him a hard foul.

I'm not saying LeBron couldn't have excelled during that era, but Jordan would average 40 ppg with today's rules.
    I'll agree with you on #2, but #1 is way off base. Apparently, you missed the 2006 Finals where Dwayne Wade lived at the line. Jordan is no different from LeBron, Kobe, Wade, or any other superstar of the last 30 years - they ALWAYS get the calls. It's a fact of life in NBA basketball.

But there is almost another rulebook for LeBron altogether. He travels more than any player in the game, and never gets called for it. He might be the only player ever to get from half-court to the rim in 2 dribbles.

----- Time has a way of transcending all the BS about just how good a
    superstar is compared to other superstars. Give Lebron a break
    and let him earn his place in basketball lure,
    along with the likes of Bird, Jordan, Magic, Kobe, etc.

Listen all you LeBron "naysayers"!
    James played in Cleveland and look at his supporting cast.
    Where were the Cavs?
    Going out on a financial limb and getting another star for their team and to help Lebron?

James had season after season carried the Cavs each year. For what?
    Just think of all the free agency players that may have taken a
    "contract cut" just to play with LeBron in Cleveland?

It seemed to me that the Cavs did not want to pay for
    or could not afford another star to join Lebron.

In my opinion, James may have stayed in Cleveland if management
    obtained another star to compliment James, as the Knicks did obtaining Anthony.

Who knows? If Rose was a more proven commodity (had a year or two more under his belt),
    like Wade, James may have signed with the Bulls and not the Heat? We will never know for sure?

Let's face it, James is a monster player, that can play 48 minutes,
    while still being a "game changer" down the stretch.

Right now, weither you love him or hate him, he and the Heat draw crowds and TV ratings.
    Heck, we continue to post on thread after thread that include "Lebron topics", even right here on the CU threads!
    And James is keeping America's top sports writers very busy
    with "new copy" that the public is "eating-up", as fast as it is written!

Now, as far as the finals go.

I'm a big Heat fan, but I have not seen Lebron being that "freight train"
    and running down the court slamming as often as he did a month or so back.

And Wade? After watching him all year, "going to the basket"
    and either scoring or getting fouled, or both! That seems to be missing from his game right now?

Wade is either injured or just "plain tired".

If James and Wade, get back to their level a month or so ago, IMO (with Bosh & company playin well),
    the Miami Heat will be unstoppable!

We shall see.

rd

P.S. You have one more day ('til tip off) to make a pick in my Dallas-Heat "finals contest"
    (over on the Sports Card & Memorabilia forum). HERE'S THE LINK TO THE CONTEST!
    (Top three picks will win some Jordan Memorabilia). Try your luck and good luck to you! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL. Actually, MJ was the best perimeter defender in the history of the game. This issue was discussed at length on a recent episode of Pardon The Interruption. MJ's status as greatest perimeter defender was agreed upon by both Wilpon and Kornheiser. >>

I didn't know that Kornheiser and Wilpon has settled on the idea that MJ was the greatest perimeter defender of the '90's. I guess that settles it.

• GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

LOL. Actually, MJ was the best perimeter defender in the history of the game. This issue was discussed at length on a recent episode of Pardon The Interruption. MJ's status as greatest perimeter defender was agreed upon by both Wilpon and Kornheiser. >>

I didn't know that Kornheiser and Wilpon has settled on the idea that MJ was the greatest perimeter defender of the '90's. I guess that settles it. >>

Shouldn't Wilpon be worried about keeping the Mets afloat??? image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't know that Kornheiser and Wilpon has settled on the idea that MJ was the greatest perimeter defender of the '90's. I guess that settles it. >>

Shouldn't Wilpon be worried about keeping the Mets afloat??? image >>

Excellent point. Maybe we should open the topic back up for discussion.

------ b~u~m~p~ ------

Contest closes at tipoff! (just a couple of hours left!)

Come and try your luck, while there are some good spots left!

I put together a contest for all us basketball fans (Heat vs. Mavs "pick a winner" contest), weither you love or hate the Heat & Mavs, they did it!

rd

good luck! image
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The explosiveness of D. Wade and L. James demonstrated by them in the last 2 minutes of last night's game was amazing. Speed, quickness, strength, leaping ability all shown at levels far beyond those of your average Joe and beyond those of many other players on the court last night.

The game was hard fought and close until the last half of the 4th quarter.

It seems like Miami is on a mission [or holy quest] this year and that no team [including Dallas] can stop it from winning the title.