Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

have you guys ever seen these in a case like this?

it's the 1867-1967 canadian proof set in a hard plastic case about 1 inch thick...i haven't seen one in a case like this and was wondering if i could get some info on it...thanks, Jake

Jake Blackman
blackman.jake@gmail.com
704-719-6866

Comments

• Options
    Sadly, it's not a case. It's lucite. Numismatically speaking, the coins have been ruined.
  • Options
    Yep.

Nice paperweight though....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Yes. The coins have been lucite for use as display or a paper weight.
  • Options
    thanks guys...clearly the coins will not come out, just wondering if they were common, or if there was any market...it will look good in my showcase at least! thanks again
    Jake Blackman
    blackman.jake@gmail.com
    704-719-6866
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a total 1970's thing to do.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    There is an "Encased" category on Ebay you may want to check.image
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually the coins may not be ruined. Years ago I had a Morgan dollar in a Lucite paperweight.
    I carefully trimmed as much away from the coin as possible and then did several soaks in acetone
    and it came out just fine with no Lucite residue leftover. Takes some work but worth the effort.

What is there to lose?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I remember encasing a Hawaii dollar in plastic for a tech studies project when I was at school, think I still have it somewhere. Had no idea about coins then, just bought it as a souvenir. Tried to look it up in Krause recently but couldn't see Hawaii dollars so must have just been a 'medal' sold to tourists.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options

<< <i>I remember encasing a Hawaii dollar in plastic for a tech studies project when I was at school, think I still have it somewhere. Had no idea about coins then, just bought it as a souvenir. Tried to look it up in Krause recently but couldn't see Hawaii dollars so must have just been a 'medal' sold to tourists. >>

I'll take that Hawaiian dollar off your hands for double silver content if you want.

Look in the back of a US Red Book or a US Coin Digest. You'll find the 1883 Hawaiian dollar there. It is KM# 7, with a mintage of 500K, though official records say 453,652 were redeemed and melted, leaving (at most) 46,300 extant today. It is highly collectable, and if AUandAG is correct about the possibility of removing the lucite with a bit of effort, then you just might want to try it. From what I can tell, it's a multiple hundred dollar coin even in VG. If it happens to be one of only 26 proofs minted, then it is worth well in excess of $10K, in which case I will up my offer to 10 times silver content. If it is copper, rather than silver, KM# 7a with a mintage of 18 and worth about the same as the silver proof.
  • Options
    Sorry to get you all excited but the Hawaii dollar isn't an old coin, think it is a modern bit of c**p that wouldn't have collector value.

On one side it says Hawaii Dollar Honolulu with a statue of King Hamehamena or someone.
    The other side says Aloha from Hawaii, Waikiki Beach - Diamond Head

No date is on the coin so that probably makes it a medal however it does say Hawaii dollar. It is gold in colour and in mint condition, would have been bought in a market in 1988 or 1990 probably for no more than $10.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, wonder if that would work on all those lucited fugios.