Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB team tanking an extra-inning game? Has it happened?

halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
I was wondering if there was ever a game where a team decided to just not rag out their bullpen for one game (say the game was in the 13th inning or something) and just threw up gopher balls to lose.

If you really think about it, it's not a bad strategy. It's a 162-game season, and winning one game can cause you to lose more like that when your bullpen is not fresh.

There are many ways this could happen, depending on whether the home or away team was leading.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i really don't think so.

they have pride (i hope) regardless of how long the game and no matter the circumstances.

i'm sure there are times during the season when players are not as focused as they should be because of myriad reasons.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I don't think any player or manager would ever admit it, but you'll find games where the manager puts a non-pitcher on the mound during an extra inning game. Last year in the 20 inning Mets vs Cardinals marathon, the LaRussa had 2 non-pitchers on the mound for the last 3 innings, one of which gave up the game's first run, and ended up the looser.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think any player or manager would ever admit it, but you'll find games where the manager puts a non-pitcher on the mound during an extra inning game. Last year in the 20 inning Mets vs Cardinals marathon, the LaRussa had 2 non-pitchers on the mound for the last 3 innings, one of which gave up the game's first run, and ended up the looser. >>

Which BTW makes sense at some point.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't even have to be an extra inning game, there are plenty of games where managers want to give the bullpen a break....case in point - Saturday night Sox/Cubs game - Sox led 3-1 in 8th, and gave up 8 runs because Francona was determined to avoid Bard at all costs, even though he didn't pitch the night before. Albers clearly had nothing, but Francona tried to get through the inning with him. Only when it obvious that he wasn't going to get anyone out did he yank him for Morales.