Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

newp: 1801 gulden - german state of munster

I purchased my first 2/3 taler, also known as a gulden. It is a 1 year "sede vacante" piece struck to commemorate the death of Archduke Maximilian Francis of Austria on July 26, 1801. He was the Archbishop-Elector of Cologne and also the Bishopric of Münster. His parents were Maria Teresa (a well known name in the numismatic community) and Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor; his siblings included Joseph II and Leopold II (both Holy Roman Emperers) and Marie Antoinette. Its an interesting family tree to say the least.

The Archduke holds an interesting footnote in musical history. As a patron of music, Maximilian Francis maintained a court orchestra where Ludwig van Beethoven's father was a tenor in the court chapel. As such, he played an important role in the early career of Ludwig van Beethoven. The young Beethoven was an employee in his court's musical establishment, where his grandfather, also named Ludwig van Beethoven, had been Kapellmeister.

The coin features St Paul with a halo on the obverse and Charlemagne holding a sword on the reverse. The piece is classified as Schulze 270 / Zepernick 334.
imageimage

Comments