Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Holy Mother of Dritanniar!!!

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check this PCGS submission: ID# 507540.64 / 18522628 Can somebody linkify?

Wow, what is the highest grade coin any readers or posters have seen of the famed 1878 "Dritanniar" 6 pence, die #6, of course!
Wonder what such a coin would bring?

Interesting in that I have seen some VFs and many with handling, and my understanding that the whole batch from that die was sent to Cyprus which had only just been seized as a colony from the Ottomans by Britain.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Thanks for that, and quick as well! Wybrit, do you recall seeing a finer example?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the trick of deducing the location of large images from coinfacts - click here for the super high def image.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    So who found that wondercoin?
  • Options
    I believe this is the same coin that was in a Spink Numismatic Circular about 18-24 mos ago - hello RobP this would be your forte!
  • Options
    Wybrit, do you recall seeing a finer example?

Not I. My example is the standard fare. That one is excellent and probably unique in grade.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! -Dan
  • Options
    Also of interest: an 1860 mule farthing graded MS64RB by NGC just went for over 1300 quid on the uk ebay. Wowza.
  • Options
    I think this brings to mind the fact that the whole series of Victorian 6ds are rather unloved. Some I have never really seen in grade - such as the 1848s, and others such as the "alleged" 1847 that only brought 850 pounds last year! Unique, or so, can you imagine?
  • Options
    I think this brings to mind the fact that the whole series of Victorian 6ds are rather unloved

Too true - most small coins get that treatment. Look at how in demand pennies are, compared to the much rarer halfpennies. There are quite a number of tricky dates in the Vicky 6d series. I do think that the prices are coming around, though.

What is surprising to me is how many (PCGS) MS67 and 68 examples there are out there.
  • Options
    Here is another excellent Vicky 6d. OK, I apologize in advance, here is another linkify of a coin of mine that I believe Wybrit has mentioned before...Pretty nice one: PCGS# 954067.63 / 18522627

Provenence, I recall DNW but might have been Baldwin from last year - that is bad to not remember my own coins!
  • Options
    Let's not go there with that Jubilee 1893 6d posted on these boards, I think PCGS # 204958.64 / 18522629! Uggh...
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous example.

Also of interest: an 1860 mule farthing graded MS64RB by NGC just went for over 1300 quid on the uk ebay. Wowza.

Yes I was watching that from the start but a snipe in hoping for a bargain but the price shot up in the last few seconds. Spink 2011 prices them at £850 in EF. The pictures weren't that clear but if it is AU or above I suppose it was about the right price.