Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Changing Deutsche Mark Coins to Euros

I'll be going to Germany in a months time and have some Deutsche Mark coins that I want to cash in for Euros. Is it only the central bank that does it or do most banks change them? Has anyone here had experience changing them? Would coin shops accept them as payment?

Still thinking of what to put in my signature...

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    isn't it too late to convert pre-euro coins/paper money into euros? I thought there was some cutoff date to do it.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Bundesbank

According to the Bundesbank you can still exchange at the central bank.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Germany is one of the countries where you have a pretty much unlimited time to exchange them. In contrast you cannot exchange anything in France after next year- bills only, coins are long since unexchangeable. I saved a few 100FF coins in France several years ago just before the changeover - the tellers I purchased them from in banks warned me they would be worthless - but they are silver and so far with the rise in silver I have had the last laugh.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Looks like I might need to stick them all in an envelope when I'm there. Has anyone actually done this?
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...