Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Iranian Gold Set

I guess this is just bullion but I like the lion on the reverse.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a nice set, at one time I tried to find a set back when gold was cheap. Iran is one of those where people have not trusted paper money for a long time - and gold is still recognised as a form of money. Even the Islamic Republic has had to recognise this and issue coins now called Azadi to satisfy demand for gold.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Gold is good in any flavor.image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    very nice. I have one of the smaller pieces (about 1/4 oz.) dated from the 1950s.
    these are coins which have good upside potential if and when Iran ever throws out the bums currently running the country and begins to develop financially.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thanks

Can anyone read the dates on these?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks

Can anyone read the dates on these? >>

They are dated from the reign of Cyrus the Great of the Persian Empire - ie 2538 = 1978/9 depending on the calendar usage. They only used that calendar from 1976-1978/9 then the Shah went back to the Hejira calendar - soon after it didn't matter because he was on a flight out.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, Gold is good in any flavor.

I agree and its very nice to have the set.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date looks like 2537 to me.