Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's see some SMALL coins!

I've always been a haphazard collector, but if there's a category of coins that I can say I like, it's the small stuff. Most of it is still so cheap that it's largely ignored. It just isn't sexy, I guess. But you can find a lot of the same intricate designs on kreuzers as on thalers for a fraction of the price. And the further you go back, you can get some historically significant stuff in a small package.

So, lets see some small coins - say, under 20mm or so. Silver, copper, gold.. whatever you have.

I've been talking about this one lately, the namesake of the "heller" denomination used in many German states, Austria and Czechia. This is a Haller pfennig - or penny from Hall, Schwabisch Hall, that is. So "haller" for short became "heller". The hand represents the hand of God. This is a later type from the 1400s, but these were originally made in the 1200s.

16mm

This is a half kreuzer from the same place 300 years later, still using the hand and cross city arms.

14mm

OK, those probably aren't the most exciting things to kick off the thread, I'll post more shortly. Let's see what you guys have!

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ionia, Ephesus - AE 12 ca. 300 BC:

Ionia, Miletos AR 6 ca 500 BC:

Quite frankly a lot of the earliest coins were tiny - they had to be - they often were carried in their owner's mouths since pockets etc didn't exist.

Khersonesos - Chersonesos - AR 11 ca. 480-350BC:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a 12mm coin from a long time ago:

Rome, Arcadius (AD 395-408)

Arcadius Bronze AE4 - Victory
    Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust
    D N ARCADIVS P F AVG
    Victory advancing left, head turned right, holding trophy over right shoulder and
    dragging a captive behind her
    SALVS REI-PVBLICAE, CHI-RHO in left field - Exergue: CONSG
    Catalog: RIC 86(c) - Struck: Constantinople AD 388-392
    Size: 12.3mm
    Weight: 1.176gm

Arcadius was the eldest son of Theodosius I and his first wife,
    and brother of the western emperor Honorius.
    His reign was dominated by ministers and his wife.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "World Smallest Coin"

India Gold Fanam
    9mm, 0.4gms

• Options
    America’s smallest denomination ever minted & worth 1/4 of a cent, the US-Philippines 1/2 Centavo was minted for circulation for only two years, 1903 & 1904. Both were minted at the Philadelphia mint.

2.59 g, Bronze, 18 mm

imageimage
    2 coin PCGS Registry Set for this denomination
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>America’s smallest denomination ever minted & worth 1/4 of a cent, the US-Philippines 1/2 Centavo was minted for circulation for only two years, 1903 & 1904. Both were minted at the Philadelphia mint.
    imageimage
    2 coin PCGS Registry Set for this denomination >>

Didn't the government there revalue/devalue the peso at some point early on in the US administration?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    From 1903 through the Commonwealth era in 1936 and up to the establishment of the republic in 1946, valuation was officially set at 2 pesos to 1 dollar.

I believe the event you are thinking of was the surge in silver prices in 1906, which lead to the pesos and silver minor coinage being melted for silver content.

Though valuation had been officially set by law as 2 pesos equal one dollar, Morgan dollar blanks were used to manufacture the pesos, and blanks for Barber halves and dimes were used for the 50 & 10 centavos. (Presumably, blanks of the same size as obsolete U.S. 20 cent pieces were used for minting 20 centavos coinage.)

When silver prices rose in 1906, the 1906 pesos were recalled back to the United States to be melted in order to mint new coinage in 1907, which accounts for the 1906 Peso being exceedingly rare. 1907 coinage was reduced in size, with finess for the peso reduced to .800, and finess for the minor coinage reduced to .750. The harder alloy has made finding well struck examples a challenge.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff! image

Are those Arcadius bronzes the smallest Roman types? I honestly don't know, but I've had a few and can't recall seeing smaller.
    Those Chersonesos lions are super cool too, pretty affordable too image

Here's another German, a Nuremberg city view kreuzer:

15mm
    imageimage

And another tiny city view from Mewar in India (1/8 rupee, 1928):

14mm
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool thread. I don't intentionally collect small coins. But as SaorAlba said: some early series were just made small.

My icon:

Lydia pre-Croesus 610-565 BC Trite
    Electrum, 4.74 grams
    Weidauer series XVI, 86-89

And my most recent quasi-greyside purchase (shown with a coinstar find from last night for scale):

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"World Smallest Coin"

India Gold Fanam
    9mm, 0.4gms

image >>

That's really cool, I just bought a very similar coin today and was coming to the forum to get some help identifying it when I saw this thread. It seems mine is likely also an Indian Fanam. What do you think does this look like an authentic one or a reproduction? Mine is 8mm and 0.3 g. If anyone knows anything more about how to date or find out where in India it was minted, let me know.

image >>

image >>

• Options
    Here's one:

Mn. Cordius Rufus, 46 B.C.
    AR Denarius, 18mm
    Owl on Cresent helm.
    Incuse of obverse
    Brockage error

stainless
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Spain had some really small pesetas (in aluminum, my favorite coin metal) from the late 80s to the beginning of the Euro era. I have a handfull but have not gotten them scanned yet. I am pretty sure they are my smallest coins.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Hey Tom, welcome to the forum! That definitely looks like a fannam, but I'm afraid they all look the same to me! I'm sure someone else might be able to help (you might want to start a fresh thread asking for the ID - just to attract the attention of the experts - certainly nothing wrong with posting in this thread too image )

Here's a neat one who's ID I'm not entirely sure of.. I'm fairly certain it's an Ottoman akce, 1500s perhaps? It's such a mess I really can't tell. But I like it! At least double struck, waaay off center, with a brockage to boot image

11mm
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Tomthecoinguy, it looks authentic to me. I've had a few fanams in my time, some of which from Lordmarcovan. At the time they were very cheap, I don't know what they're worth now. But you'll have to ask someone else for the Princely State it comes from.

Weiss, that electrum coin is probably even smaller than the fanam! image

I don't know how the Pan Pac gold $1 qualifies as semi greyside, but I've been in love with it for 10 years and yet I keep postponing its purchase. Nice example!

Here's my contributions, both 16 mm.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Whenever this topic comes up, I always think of the 1/32 ducat from Nurnberg, minted 1700.

Another one is pictured here.

Less than 5 mm in diameter and 0.1 grams of gold.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that the Jester challenge? Man, you had more free time in your hands back then. image

Nice ducat fraction. The Swiss have some pretty nice ones too.

Both Ionians are 16mm too, and so is the Cretan 1 lepton.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Celtic Epaticcus boar's head minim ca 20-50AD. Silver, 8mm dia.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

U.S. $1 Gold Piece 13mm

• Options
    Well, I think Jester wins! That's awesome! image

Great stuff as always, D!
    And, Rob, that's a very cool one, great detail!

Here's another popular type, don't have a positive ID for date/ruler, but it's a Russian wire money kopek.
    I think it's Mikhail Feodorovich (at least that's what the cyrillic on lines 3 & 4 look like), which would place this between 1613-1645.

13mm
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Balakros as satrap under Alexander the Great
    AR sixteenth Persian stater
    Athena / Boeotian shield decorated with thunderbolt
    0.62 gram
    11.1 mm
    Tarsos, circa 333-320 BC

Lysimachus
    AR 1/5 Tetradrachm
    2.40g
    13mm
    Head of Apollo / Youth on horse
    Amphipolis, circa 320-315 BC

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    AR wire Kopek. 1689-1725, Peter the Great.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections