Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SMR ridiculous

does anyone else find the SMR price guide to be GROSSLY incorrect? Today im writing specifically about the 1935 national chicle high number cards.
The SMR says that #27 Bull Tosi is worth $135 when its graded a 4. heres a link to an auction that ended this weekend, where #27 bull tosi gaded PSA 4 sold for $1400.

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21359&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=0&lotsperpage=ALL&category=1&seo=1935-National-Chicle-#27-Bull-Tosi-PSA-4-VG/EX

another Tosi graded 4 sold on ebay earlier this year for $1200.

in this case, were talking about being well over 1000 dollars off for the price guide. if you do a quick search on ebay all of the high number chicles are selling for hundreds of dollars more then they are listing for in the SMR, especially in low to mid grade.

does anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Maybe because SMR is a guide, not an aggregation of actual market data.

Personally, I've been tracking auction results on the cards I'm interested in for the past 8-10 years. I know the ranges that cards I collect go for and can see the trends up or down. I wouldn't even know SMR prices on 95% of my collection.

That said, if I suddenly found myself looking to buy a card I've never tracked, then I'd probably see what SMR says the value is, then check past ebay sales and auction results. One of those sources alone wouldn't be enough for me to determine an accurate price.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    SMR was rendered useless many years ago as a pricing guide. VCP has real-time data of actual transactions. Not perfect by any means -- it does not include certain auction houses...not all PSA 8s are alike, etc. -- but I would never ever use SMR as the basis for any buying or selling decision.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Is this fair to say?

SMR is to PSA

as

Beckett is to BGS
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I echo mikeschmidt Big Time !!
  • Options