Home Precious Metals

Bogus Ebay Auctions for odd size Engelhard Bars

OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
I noticed in the ebay archives a series of suspicious closed auctions on May 18th for poured Engelhard 3 oz, 4 oz, 7 oz and 25 oz bars.

The photographs looked familiar. Many of the photographs were pulled from the About.Ag website. In particular two of the 4 ounce Engelhard photographs were from About.Ag.

The seller is scottsilvewillow with zero feedback. The auctions all had extremely attractive BIN prices. Bidders jumped on them instantly.

Here is one example (sorry, I don't know how to post links correctly)

http://cgi.ebay.com/4oz-ENGELHARD-999-Silver-Bar-/230623577893?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b23c8725

I doubt if the seller has any of these bars.

Comments

• "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • I would sure be leary ........ image

4 oz. bar has the same # as the bar pixs on the Ag site!

( and it is the same pix )

I would ask for a pix of the ACTUAL bar being offered..... if I was interested.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Seems kinds fishy to me with the same photos...
    Jamie
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

item was pulled.Nothing to see here.
  • If the seller you are refering to is scottsilverwillow he is nlaru.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>item was pulled.Nothing to see here. >>

Indeed. Ebay cancelled the auctions and NARU'ed the buyer.

Attempted fraud did not work this time. I expect the same ploy again with a new ebay account and more stolen photographs. Someone will pull the trigger for rare bars at great prices.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Seems kinds fishy to me with the same photos...

Why would someone even bother doing that when people who are looking to buy these odd weight bars usually know their stuff? Seems like a con would try and do it with common stuff rather than more rare pieces. Unreal what cons will do do rape a $ off someone. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.