Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any CNG 87 wins?

CNG 87 just closed tonight and I ended-up picking up this Durango Hookneck. Looks like it's N1 S5 die combination - Small Libertad, upside-down Defiant Snake Head. S5 reverse also has a neat anomaly: the superscript "s" of Dineros appears to have been first punched into the die as an "o" and then repunched.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I did not bid on anything so no wins for me. It sure looks a lot like a dead snake though.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Durango has some cool obverse eagle and snake combinations. This snake does look dead, however that head also appears on other snake bodies that more look alive. The head on these was probably added with a single punch to the die after the body was punched. Snake heads of a particular type are identical from die to die, except for the tongue. A tongue of varying lengths was added separately with one or sometimes two barbs.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, Roman. Congrats.

I dipped my toe into some Russian tonight and it got bitten off. Ouch!

I wanted 4 lots and ended up bidding on one. They all went like 10 times estimate.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bid on one and got one, a big one.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>Bid on one and got one, a big one. >>

Oh, the suspense!

<< <i>I dipped my toe into some Russian tonight and it got bitten off. Ouch! >>

Yup, Russian material brought in some strong money. I was watching a few Russian medals, as well, and they went for 5-8x the estimate.
  • Options

<< <i>

Oh, the suspense! >>

As I go on with my collecting, I am finding I am getting a bit quiet about what I purchase. I have been making much of my website unavailable, and not adding new acquisitions in. How do I explain it, but paranoia maybe.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roman - I almost outbid you on that Hookneck. Now that I know it was you, I'm glad I didn't. Congrats!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Roman - I almost outbid you on that Hookneck. Now that I know it was you, I'm glad I didn't. Congrats! >>

Andy - I'm really glad you didn't image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking hookneck.

Congrats!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>That is a great looking hookneck.

Congrats! >>

Thanks, Dan!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Oh, the suspense! >>

As I go on with my collecting, I am finding I am getting a bit quiet about what I purchase. I have been making much of my website unavailable, and not adding new acquisitions in. How do I explain it, but paranoia maybe. >>

You do know 99.99% of us don't even know what continent you live on, don't you?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

<< <i>

You do know 99.99% of us don't even know what continent you live on, don't you? >>

No, not really image
  • Options
    Received the coin today and not really happy with it. The image led to believe that the coin is a low XF with spots of light toning and no post-mint issues, while in-hand the coin is bright white (though with AU luster) with pronounced black spots on the eagle side and a rather unpleasant scratch at 2 o'clock on the cap side. You can somewhat see it in the image, but it looks much more significant in-hand.

I'll post a few images from varioius lighting angles in a few hours when i'm home from work to get your opinion.
  • Options
    I ordered once from them, and wasn't happy with the coin as it was hairlined (which wasn't apparent in the pics). Their pictures are tough for me to read, too bright or saturated or something....but they took the return, no problem.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics, twokopeiki.
  • Options
    First set of shots:

Top is the auction image:

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow, that canyon at 2pm was largely unapparent in the auction image. I would qualify that as a SNAD.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that canyon at 2pm was largely unapparent in the auction image. I would qualify that as a SNAD. >>

Yeah, that's an unfortunate scratch. It almost seems like the auction picture was set up to minimize it.

Love that eagle though!image