Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Gold Hoard from Ramla, Israel: A documentary about this fascinating discovery

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
A documentary prepared by IAA Numismatist Robert Kool about the intriguing opening of a fabulous gold coin hoard discovered inside a small jar in excavations in Ramla, Israel.

Video is narrated in Hebrew yet has English subtitles. Fascinating discovery and use of technology.

Video Link

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks!

I hope videos like this get some exposure in the classroom, and that some of the students get inspired enough to start collecting coins.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Absolutely fascinating!!!

Thanks for posting it.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool discovery image
  • Options
    I was surprised they used metal tweezers to pick the gold coins out of the jar.....seems like they'd easily damage soft gold.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, funny in that so much care and technology was used and then the objects of study rather crudely handled. Whose on first? More technology does not mean more common sense I fear...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To think that jar could have been lost in an earthquake or possibly stashed away to be hidden from invaders.
    What a story!

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    wow - very cool! thanks for posting. I was mesmerized by this video.

as to the comment about metal tweezers - I would assume they had something on the ends that was softer and wouldn't damage the coins.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks!
    Becky
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great post - uber cool!