Home Sports Talk
Options

What MLB player do you dislike most?

For me it's got to be the recently retired Jim Edmonds. That guy bugged the living hell out of me. The way he seemed to slow down or be out of position just enough to make all the highlight catches. Ichiro is ten times the outfielder that Edmonds was. I know he was good but his smugness always seemed to show through and made him very unlikeable in my book. Who gets under you skin and why?

Comments

• Options
    Posada - yes, even before this incident.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    I can't argue with you about Posada - I really can't pinpoint it, but the guy just rubs me the wrong way.............although to answer the OP's question - I believe the answer of Alex Rodriguez is going to come up often - very often............
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    A. J. Pierzynski... he's just a dick.

Carlos Zambrano... he's a giant crybaby hothead.

Honestly, I don't have a vendetta against players from Chicago! I hate Derek Jeter too, if that helps. image
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Nick Swisher, followed by AJ Burnett. And I'm a Yankee fan.
    I find myself willing Swisher to spontaneously combust when he is at the plate. It will give him the fame he so desperately craves and also solve my problem: him. And his .150 postseason avg in over 100 AB's. And this year's 0-17 in the clutch.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I think it's because Posada is the like the Tim Duncan of MLB. He's a nice guy, but he cries about every other call. He's perfectly cool with Sabathia getting 4 inches off the plate, but when that ump rings him up on those same pitches while he's in the box, Posada reaches the apex of Tim Duncan whining.

Nick Swisher, followed by AJ Burnett. And I'm a Yankee fan.

When Swisher was with the White Sox he referred to himself as "Dirty 30". His uni number...and I guess the "grinder" aspect of the White Sox marketing that year. He quickly became dubbed "Dirty .230" during one of his many slumps by one of the local sports-talk radio hosts. Also, one of the guys at BP referred to him as a "total douchebag, but the nicest douchebag you'll ever meet". "Frosted tips, Affliction T-shirt, stupid tats, bad jokes but a genuinely nice guy". There seems to be a lot of Kevin Millar in Swisher's act.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I am going to go with A-Rod for the love of himself more than the game.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to vote, I'd go with A-Rod. I think he is so into himself that he really doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the game, fans or anything other than his salary and life-style.

Gotta tell ya, I LOVED watching him choke on the slow-roller through his legs during the last Red Sox game in the Bronx.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    It's easy to hate on A-Rod but to me the bad press he gets hides some interesting facts, like how he switched from his natural SS position to be able to play with Jeter, who is inferior to A-Rod offensively, by a big margin. He seems to get no props for that. Then Jeter's contract negotiations this past winter are on par with any ego/prima-dona act A-Rod has performed; Jeter essentially demanded to get paid for past performance, for which he was already handsomely and equitably paid. Then there's how Jeter so quickly abandoned/rejected the assistance offered by hitting coach Kevin Long; not saying a player doesn't have the right to do what they feel is best for them, but had A-Rod reverted back to his old swing so quickly and in the midst of such poor production, the media would have jumped all over him-- yet Jeter gets a free pass. Then there's how their lifestyles are so comparable. It's funny how good PR/image management makes Jeter seem so perfect to so many. I'm sure both Jeter and A-Rod love playing baseball a ton, though. I don't see how they couldn't love a game that has given them so much.

Edit: seeing how playing baseball is a job to these guys, how they earn their (amazing) livings, I think it's natural for every MLB player to think first about making the most money they can, which means performing their best. Unlike many other team sports where so many players are performing in unison on the field (NBA, NFL), baseball does in a way break down into many individual moments (each AB, each batter faced as a pitcher). So I don't blame any player for wanting to do their best, put up the best numbers they can, and then try to get paid the most for that performance. I have to think that's what any man in any career wants to do. And in performing to the best of one's ability, they are also helping their team win. I'm sure they all also want the fans to be happy with their performance; nobody wants to get booed.
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Mark Teixeira. I have no real reason why. I hate his swing and he just looks like a mouthbreather. Playing for the Yankees probably doesn't help either.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milton Bradley...dude has serious issues!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark Teixeira. I have no real reason why. I hate his swing and he just looks like a mouthbreather. Playing for the Yankees probably doesn't help either. >>

Me too with A rod right behind him. They both love themselves.
  • Options
    I can tell you being a Pirate fan, we all hate Ryan Braun. Followed closely by Prince Fielder. Actually at this point we hate all the Brewers.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's easy to hate on A-Rod but to me the bad press he gets hides some interesting facts, like how he switched from his natural SS position to be able to play with Jeter, who is inferior to A-Rod offensively, by a big margin. He seems to get no props for that. Then Jeter's contract negotiations this past winter are on par with any ego/prima-dona act A-Rod has performed; Jeter essentially demanded to get paid for past performance, for which he was already handsomely and equitably paid. Then there's how Jeter so quickly abandoned/rejected the assistance offered by hitting coach Kevin Long; not saying a player doesn't have the right to do what they feel is best for them, but had A-Rod reverted back to his old swing so quickly and in the midst of such poor production, the media would have jumped all over him-- yet Jeter gets a free pass. Then there's how their lifestyles are so comparable. It's funny how good PR/image management makes Jeter seem so perfect to so many. I'm sure both Jeter and A-Rod love playing baseball a ton, though. I don't see how they couldn't love a game that has given them so much. >>

It's funny you mention their lifestyles. A-Rod gets crap for dating Cameron Diaz and whoever (didn't he date Madonna?) but Jeter? He's gone through a line of actresses, models, and starlets and nary a word is said other than "Good for him". Maybe it's just because the women Jeter is seen with are hotter than A-Rod's image

Then you've got Jeter defending Posada for benching himself. I realize he shouldn't publicly blast the guy but no way should the CAPTAIN of a team be publicly defending a guy who's crying about his spot in the lineup.

As for me, I don't know that there's any players I dislike any more.

Tabe
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey Rivers...yes, still.
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭
    As for A-Rod, I know I'm in the minority on this, but I've always been a fan. Sure he's a narcissist and way too image conscious but he has loads of talent (I respect the talent). The numbers he's put up are mindblowing. I forgot about Milton Bradley. That dude needs to get help (total head case).
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Hatred should probably be reserved for truly despicable human beings who happen to play baseball. Namely the wife-beating Brett Myers, and the waste of a human life known as Josh Lueke. Even the dislike-able list of players is dwindling with Bonds, Kent, Schilling, ManRam, Milton Bradley, Clemens etc all spending their days in court or annoying fewer people in retirement. My personal list will always be topped by one Joseph Morgan.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm firmly in the Mark Teixeira camp and I can tell you why. At some point during his free agency he was asked why he signed with the Yankees and not his hometown Orioles, and he said that the Yankees 'were just a better fit for me'. I found that response to be utterly nauseating. If he's said 'because the Yankees pay more', or 'because the Yankees have a chance to play in November', or some other similarly candid response, then I would have been 100% behind him. But this 'better fit' nonsense reminded me of everything I don't like about Tiger Woods, Jordan, Jeter, and the rest of these Nike robots who have taken a solemn oath to never say anything that might every possibly offend anyone who might be thinking about buying a pair of shoes.

Everyone has their own perspective on sports, and I get that. But anyone who hates, say, Chad Ochocinco (whom I adore, by the way) more than 'Tex' just sees the role that athletics should play in American life much differently than I do.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Hatred should probably be reserved for truly despicable human beings who happen to play baseball.>>>

<<<Everyone has their own perspective on sports, and I get that. But anyone who hates, say, Chad Ochocinco (whom I adore, by the way) more than 'Tex' just sees the role that athletics should play in American life much differently than I do>>>

Two excellent points.

I find baseball players harder to "hate" than athletes in other sports. Not sure why. My list of baskeball players is probably 10 names long, but I can't think of a single baseball player that I "hate". Jeter used to be on the list, for no other reason than I thought he was inferior to Nomar when they were in their primes, but that hatred has turned into respect.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lifes too short to have your heart filled with hate. With that said I kinda had a huge dislike for Dave Winfield.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

<< <i>Lifes too short to have your heart filled with hate.

Amen to that. "Hate" is an ugly, negative word. No reason to hate, but o.k. to "dislike" someone's behavior or attitude as it relates to being a pro athlete.
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I saw Edmonds during a spring training game back when he was with the Angels. He was great, kind of like a big kid who, when pulled during a game, came over and made faces at the kids in the stands. Plus, I love those catches where he was slightly out of position. I used to do the same thing when I was eight and I'd stand near my dad and ask him to throw the ball just farther than he thought I could race and get it.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Jose Mesa.

Game 7, 1997 WS. The guy sucked ALL year and blew it in the end.
  • Options
    pukeoulis

biggest ahole out there
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<pukeoulis biggest ahole out there>>>

I'm surprised more Red Sox haven't been named. I could see people hating Papelbon, Beckett, and especially Youkilis.

I've heard enough stories about Youk to know that your description of him is accurate.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i><<<pukeoulis biggest ahole out there>>>

I'm surprised more Red Sox haven't been named. I could see people hating Papelbon, Beckett, and especially Youkilis.

I've heard enough stories about Youk to know that your description of him is accurate. >>

I don't know anything about his personality, but I can tell you that he has the most unlikeable batting stance of any current (or former) MLB player.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    This is from back in the 1990s, but I always liked calling Joey, eh I mean Albert Belle "the Dennis Rodman of baseball". image Anyone else here think that's a fair description?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is from back in the 1990s, but I always liked calling Joey, eh I mean Albert Belle "the Dennis Rodman of baseball". image Anyone else here think that's a fair description? >>

Rodman never sent me seasons greetings.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>This is from back in the 1990s, but I always liked calling Joey, eh I mean Albert Belle "the Dennis Rodman of baseball". Anyone else here think that's a fair description? >>

No. Not even close.

Rodman had an outlandish look and personality.

Belle was a hothead with anger issues.

Both had skills, but in the end, Rodman's career legacy was being a weirdo, but Belle's career legacy was being a sociopath (and corked his bat and probably juiced).
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Rodman had an outlandish look and personality.

Belle was a hothead with anger issues. >>

And Rodman butting heads with a referee and kicking a cameraman in the nuts doesn't count as anger issues???
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    You all just wish he was on your team!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

>>>>>

<< <i>Rodman had an outlandish look and personality.

Belle was a hothead with anger issues. >>

And Rodman butting heads with a referee and kicking a cameraman in the nuts doesn't count as anger issues??? >>

Rodman? He looked normal, no? image

rd

P.S. You talk about burning bridges and ending his career on a low? Manny Ramirez

• Options
    I used to hate ARod and Jeter but they're both such cheaters that it's like, c'mon, don't spoil the illusion.....

If I had to name a class of players, it would be chickens who throw at batters heads.

If I had to name an individual, it would be Honest Roger Clemens. I'm no fan of either the Mets or Piazza, but how that jerkonandoff didn't get arrested and dragged off the mound and charged with felony assault I'll never know.

I hate the Yankees but I honestly hope ARod, Jeter, Posada, all those guys live long happy fulfilling lives off the field.

And I hope Clemens gets beaten in jail.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I had the opportunity to meet Albert Belle on several occasions. Yes, he had anger issues. But the other 99.9% of the time he was a really nice guy. He was great with his fans. He would gladly sign autographs. Nothing like how he was portrayed in the media. The biggest jerk I ever met in baseball was Bo Jackson. I was sitting down at a Spring Training game years ago with Craig Sager and George Brett (the business I worked for had GREAT seats, so this was my turn), and Brett of course was getting mobbed for autographs. But he signed them and was very cordial, as were the rest of the Royals. Then Bo came out, and kids ran towards him and the first words out of his mouth were "Leave me the BLEEP alone!" followed by a "BLEEP off!". These were kids in the 7-12 range. I stopped liking him on the spot.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>And Rodman butting heads with a referee and kicking a cameraman in the nuts doesn't count as anger issues??? >>

Belle made a career out of it.

However, it seems like he's gotten his act together after serving some jail time for stalking a former prostitute back in 2006.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>I had the opportunity to meet Albert Belle on several occasions. Yes, he had anger issues. But the other 99.9% of the time he was a really nice guy. He was great with his fans. He would gladly sign autographs. Nothing like how he was portrayed in the media. The biggest jerk I ever met in baseball was Bo Jackson. I was sitting down at a Spring Training game years ago with Craig Sager and George Brett (the business I worked for had GREAT seats, so this was my turn), and Brett of course was getting mobbed for autographs. But he signed them and was very cordial, as were the rest of the Royals. Then Bo came out, and kids ran towards him and the first words out of his mouth were "Leave me the BLEEP alone!" followed by a "BLEEP off!". These were kids in the 7-12 range. I stopped liking him on the spot. >>

And to think he got to be on Sesame Street! How sad...
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Never could stand Dave Kingman