Options

DODGERS PITCH 1 HITTER

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
And lose to Arizona, 1-0.

That's all.

Carry on.
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Doug , I have Billingsley on one of my fantasy teams. That win would've been real nice , but...... .I liked his effort though.

On May 18th , 1983 Rich Dotson pitching against my hometown O's , allowed one hit , with one out in the eight . The hit was a Dan Ford HR and the score stuck with Dotson losing 1-0 to Storm Davis. Dotson was in trouble most of the day , allowing 7 walks as he went.

I'm sure this has happened other times as well, but I was there that day and even though I wasn't a big Dan Ford fan , I was sure glad he came through that day.----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    That loss goes on a BIG list of losses where Billingsley had ZERO offensive support.

Not sure if anyone has seen Chad pitch in person or not, but I think he's super nasty when he's on his game. In person u can really tell how effective his pitching can be at times.

The last play of the game.....Kemp hits a ball to short, Ethier slides in hard at second and Kemp just trots to first for a game ending double play. Kemp is a stud, but that is terrible to not give a full effort to be out a game ending double play when u might end up on first with another runner on third.

b
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a memory of Luis Tiant pitching a one hitter against the Indians and losing one to zip because the one hit was a solo HR. No clue when or if it happened, but it's in my memory banks
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The Giants saw two of those kinds of losses last year. Barry Zito got a 1-hit-loss vs the Dodgers and Jonathan Sanchez got the 1-hit-loss vs the Padres.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    A 1 hitter is a tough one to lose.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Giants saw two of those kinds of losses last year. Barry Zito got a 1-hit-loss vs the Dodgers and Jonathan Sanchez got the 1-hit-loss vs the Padres. >>

Zito only pitched 5-2/3 in his "1-hitter" though - not quite the same thing. Sanchez threw 7 in his.

Tabe
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Zito only pitched 5-2/3 in his "1-hitter" though - not quite the same thing. Sanchez threw 7 in his.

Tabe >>

I didn't know that this was a qualifier. Either way, when your starting pitcher only gives up 1 hit, the team should win most of the time.

Talk about hard-luck, in 1964, Ken Johnson pitched a complete-game no-hitter... and lost.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Zito only pitched 5-2/3 in his "1-hitter" though - not quite the same thing. Sanchez threw 7 in his.

Tabe >>

I didn't know that this was a qualifier. Either way, when your starting pitcher only gives up 1 hit, the team should win most of the time. >>

I'd agree with you - but Zito didn't even put up a quality start. He got 63% of the outs needed. You're OK with that from a starter? I'm not. Far as I'm concerned, you gotta go 7+ to get into that "team shoulda won" area if you starter gives up 1 hit.

Tabe

p.s. Incidentally, since 1919 there have been 6 games where a pitcher threw 9 or more innings, allowed 1 or fewer hits, and got a loss. I have no idea who the 6 are, though - baseballreference.com wants me to pay before they'll tell me image One is Harvey Haddix's 12-2/3 IP masterpiece.
  • Options
    OK, I decided to look them up. The others are:

7/27/93 - Kevin Appier vs Texas
    8/24/84 - Jose Deleon vs Cincinnati
    9/8/74 - Andy Hassler vs Chicago AL
    4/23/64 - Ken Johnson vs Cincinnati (*NO HITTER*)
    9/18/34 - Bobo Newsom vs Boston

For the record, I used baseballreference.com's search engine to find the games and had it sort by date. Their free version only shows you one column of data on searches like that so I had it sort by date. Then I used www.retrosheet.org to look up the box scores from those particular dates.

I should probably subscribe to baseballreference.com - I use that site constantly.

Tabe