Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Canadian gold in pcgs or ngc ?

Why don't we see many of the Canadian leaf gold coins in ngc or pcgs holders on ebay ?
I see plenty of pandas in ngc, but don't find too many leafs.

Comments

• That's a good question and one which I can't answer.
    I've collected Canadian coins for many years and am a member of the RCNA as well as a subscriber to the Canadian Coin News.
    As such, I seldom, if ever, hear of or see certified Maple Leaf coins, either silver or gold.
    Bear in mind that a majority of Canadian coins are certified by ICCS.
    But I can't recall ever seeing an ICCS certified Maple Leaf either.
    This is obviously quite different from the practice in American gold & silver bullion items which turn up in PCGS & NGC slabs all the time.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Because Canadians are too smart to pay outrageous prices for slabbed modern bullion?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Because Canadians are too smart to pay outrageous prices for slabbed modern bullion? >>

I like your thinking!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

• << <i>

<< <i>Because Canadians are too smart to pay outrageous prices for slabbed modern bullion? >>

I like your thinking!! >>

Indeed.
    The main Canadian grading service, ICCS, seldom, if ever, hands out MS70 grades, even MS69s are few and far between.
    All of which is unlike the practice here in the States by the major TPGs, where I have rarely seen a bullion piece grade less than MS69.
    The Maple leaf coins I have seen are invariably well struck with loads of eye appeal, no real need to grade them I guess.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    And I am not knocking people who collect modern bullion issues by the way, I even have some modern slabbed gold in my SDB, but I try to only pay the bullion value for it. As you say, it should all grade MS/PF 69 anyway so why pay a big bonus for the plastic?

• << <i>And I am not knocking people who collect modern bullion issues by the way, I even have some modern slabbed gold in my SDB, but I try to only pay the bullion value for it. As you say, it should all grade MS/PF 69 anyway so why pay a big bonus for the plastic? >>

I have slabbed 1/10 oz AGEs but only paid bullion prices for them (all are MS69).
    My local B&M dealer knows I like to buy my gold this way and puts them aside for me.
    Over the years I managed to put together a complete set, including the lower mintage 1988, at bullion cost.
    The 1/10 proofs are a tad pricier and I pick them up whenever I can get a good deal on them.