Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A RARE 1899 Philippine Centavo

Not mine.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I was not expecting that when I opened the thread.

Looks very cool! image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A neat piece of history from a shameful time in American colonial ambitions.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the history on that one?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

<< <i>What's the history on that one? >>

Well the Filipinos didn't exactly want to change one colonial master for another one. Actually they had been fighting the Spaniards for many years, when then at the conclusion of the Spanish American war, the USA acquired the Philippines from Spain. The Filipino "insurgency" switched gears from fighting the Spanish to fighting the Americans. They were largely defeated by 1902, but some level of combat continued until 1910. It is a period of history that has largely been glossed over and forgotten except in the Philippines. Estimates of Filipino losses are staggering, and American losses were considerable given that they were largely unreported in the press at the time.

In fact, it is a nasty stain in American history, particularly so given that Theodore Roosevelt actually stated and had written some fairly condemning racial epithets concerning the people of the Philippines - and he reflected the attitudes of the then WASP majority in the USA.

I know that the Filipinos had issued some paper money, but didn't know they even got a chance to do anything with coinage.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought it 45 or so years ago from relatives of a missionary that traveled extensively throughout the world. I had no idea what it was at the time so it just came along with a lot of foreign minors in a large collection of coins I called "Scotch Tape". Sold the coin a few years ago. 3 different types of Philippine 1899 1 Centavo coins have shown up in the Omaha area.

Heritage sold one(I think Helmet/no M) in 1998 but I don't know the history of that one. Does anyone know anything about it? A friend of mine owned one similar to it but I don't know if his coin ended up with Heritage after his passing. I was disappointed to not see the picture of the Heritage coin. Was it the one pictured in Krause?
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Actually the fighting in the Philippines went on into the 1930's in the southern islands against the Moros.

That is what the browning model 1911 automatic pistol was developed for.
    The pistols they were using did not stop th attacking moros who were hopped up on drugs.

There was a historical docu-drama movie made of all this staring Gary Cooper as a doctor in the film.
    I can't remember the name , but i did see it. There is also a very rare book written about this period also.

Fighting still goes on today in this part of PI against present day terrorists (abu-saief?), only the philippine army is doing the fighting.

Krueger
  • Options
    The Real Glory 1939 is the movie. I haven't seen it yet. Thanks, Krueger. I'll look for the book title.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I think the book title is "Muddy glory" amazon had it but it was real expensive.

it did come in paperback i saw one once on ebay, You may find a cheap one that way.

Another coin dealer told me he read it and it was not a good book.

Krueger
  • Options

<< <i>Fighting still goes on today in this part of PI against present day terrorists (abu-saief?), only the philippine army is doing the fighting. >>

So they've been fighting the Spanish, the US, and the Philippines? How far back does this go?

Would they still be fighting if the US was never involved?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That may be the coolest thing I've ever seen posted on this forum. I didn't even know these existed, but they're on my want list now!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    It is a cool coin, but I think there may be only one known yet. It is still not listed in Krause, for one reason or another. The variety without the M countermark may be the most "common". Of course, just my opinion. I heard of a rumor of one being available, but I don't know which variety.
  • Options

<< <i>

Fighting still goes on today in this part of PI against present day terrorists (abu-saief?), only the philippine army is doing the fighting.
    >>

The US has had advisers in and out of there several times in liaison with the Philippines army even in the past few years.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That may be the coolest thing I've ever seen posted on this forum. I didn't even know these existed, but they're on my want list now! >>

To the back of the line, Mr Eureka! image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread and neat piece. image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I was aware of the Philippine-US "adversity" but I had never seen any reference to the coin's existance before. Amazing find, even if it was found 45 years ago!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A neat piece of history from a shameful time in American colonial ambitions. >>

Not really. A majority of Americans and public officials at the time opposed colonialism. But did TR really have a choice? Who was he going to leave the country to? The Spanish? A group of local residents who had no experience building or governing a nation? Under U.S. jurisdiction, the P.I. became one of the most prosperous, educated countries in Asia and the local leaders enjoyed more governing autonomy compared to those in Asia under other colonial rulers at the time. It was during the post-war independence years that the P.I. became a basket case due primarily to corruption and incompetence. Many Filipinos still wish the U.S. had stayed on as they did in Guam, Puerto Rico, etc.

• Options

<< <i>Actually the fighting in the Philippines went on into the 1930's in the southern islands against the Moros.

That is what the browning model 1911 automatic pistol was developed for.
    The pistols they were using did not stop th attacking moros who were hopped up on drugs.

There was a historical docu-drama movie made of all this staring Gary Cooper as a doctor in the film.
    I can't remember the name , but i did see it. There is also a very rare book written about this period also.

Krueger >>

Abu Sayyaf, loosely affiliated with Al-Qaeda these days.

The Philippine army is not alone in this fight. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Fighting still goes on today in this part of PI against present day terrorists (abu-saief?), only the philippine army is doing the fighting. >>

So they've been fighting the Spanish, the US, and the Philippines? How far back does this go?

Would they still be fighting if the US was never involved? >>

Yes, they have been fighting for an independent or autonomous Muslim region for over 400 years.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

The US has had advisers in and out of there several times in liaison with the Philippines army even in the past few years. >>

The "advisers" are still here. image

• Options

I would guess this is an exceedingly rare coin. There may be information in one of the Aldo Basso reference books or if you PM me I can put you in touch with a few P.I. coin scholars/experts.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A neat piece of history from a shameful time in American colonial ambitions. >>

Not really. A majority of Americans and public officials at the time opposed colonialism. But did TR really have a choice? Who was he going to leave the country to? The Spanish? A group of local residents who had no experience building or governing a nation? Under U.S. jurisdiction, the P.I. became one of the most prosperous, educated countries in Asia and the local leaders enjoyed more governing autonomy compared to those in Asia under other colonial rulers at the time. It was during the post-war independence years that the P.I. became a basket case due primarily to corruption and incompetence. Many Filipinos still wish the U.S. had stayed on as they did in Guam, Puerto Rico, etc. >>

Good to know! Thanks image
  • Options

Sheesh! You just had to pipe up with a contentious political statement, didn't you?
  • Options

<< <i>It is a cool coin, but I think there may be only one known yet. It is still not listed in Krause, for one reason or another. The variety without the M countermark may be the most "common". Of course, just my opinion. I heard of a rumor of one being available, but I don't know which variety. >>

Might it be PCGS 159925 - 1899 Centavo KM-157?

If so, here's the Coin Facts Wiki page, though no one has done anything with the page. If it is indeed that coin, perhpas you could add your pics to the page.
  • Options
    KM-157 is the Helmeted Head Countermarked M variety. Is there a picture of PCGS 159925 that we can see?
  • Options
    After thoroughly checking my references, plus additional online research, I have only been able to identify 2 versions of revolutionary one centavo coins minted on the island of Panay, and both of them have a helmeted head (KM-156 & KM-157) where yours depicts a volcano. I don't believe there is a volcano on Panay, but there certainly is one nearby, as I remember my then finance took me to a dormant one in 1998. (What a wonderful waterfall and hot spring!) The trip was more than an hour by car, and I don't remember taking a ferry to another island, but we must have. She's on business travel in Canada right now, so I'll have to ask her tomorrow when I call her. The volcano on your coin must be a representation of that one.

A KM-156 version, which you said may be the most common, was auctioned by Heritage on June 5th, 1998 and sold for over $8,000 including the buyer's premium even then.

The one you have posted (not yours???) very well might be unique! So MrEureka and pruebas had better be financially well-heeled if it is to remain on their want lists. Well actually, it can remain on their want lists for free, but I suspect it would be a very pricey thing if purchased.

I knew Panay revolutionary coinage existed, (Panay is my home to my wife's family), and I knew the pieces were rare, but I didn't know just how exceedingly rare they actually were. Next time I go for a visit, I think I'm gonna take a metal detector.