Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Recent Ancient Coins for my personal collection (shoutout to Smitty)

I don't really keep many coins in my personal collection anymore. I really only keep the irreplaceable ones. Since I'm on a budget, the only way to get irreplaceable coins at a poor mans price is to basically get errors. Luckily, I love brockages, so this works out. They're relatively cheap (you can get them as cheap as $30-35, but most go around $100. There are obviously the more expensive ones depending on the incuse detail). They are not hard to find, there is a pretty good size selection on the internet. They are, however, unique in their own way, because most coins only have a few known specimens.

Here are the latest two:

The first one is what my personal collection is being rebuilt around, My favorite coin, and I'm glad to get it back.

Mn. Cordius Rufus, 46 B.C. (Brockage)
AR denarius
Corinthian helmet with crest upon which owl stands
RVFVS
Incuse of obverse
Crawford 463/2; CRI 64; Sydenham 978; Cordia 4

It's always nice to have a cool error of your favorite coin design. My thanks goes out to Smitty for me letting trade him back for this. I still need to send him something good for my thanks.

Number two:

The next one isn't as nice. I don't have it in hand, so these pics will have to do. It is, however, a brockage of one of the Twelve Caesars, which is pretty hard to find in any condition. It's not the average Tetrarchy dynasty or Roman Republican brockage image.

Caligula (Brockage)
AE As,
Obverse: Bust Right
Reverse: Incuse of obverse

Found this one on Ebay.

stainless