Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Goldberg Auction

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some very attractive coins- GB copper and Trade Dollars

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a user interface that is a huge deterrent to looking, letting alone bidding.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt bidding done through icollector.com?
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Only one lot for me, albeit a big one!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only one lot for me, albeit a big one! >>

This big? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I saw that one too- very big

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I finally got round to looking at the lots today and got depressed.

The GB hammered silver is overpriced, overgraded and overbid. Not for the first time it shows the unsuitability of hammered coinage to a semi-rigorous grading scale leading to estimates and bidding by number rather than eye appeal or numismatic considerations.

The Cambridge Cnut has been struck so hard that there is a split in the centre of the flan, and the legend isn't clear either. There was a large hoard of Cambridge mint coins which found their way onto the market a few years ago of which a good few were better struck than this which is graded MS65. Due to the number of coins available they are also cheap in the UK and wouldn't attract a price of even half the $1500-2000 estimate.

The London Edward small flan is common and priced in relation to the previous estimate based on grade rather than availability. Anything from London is invariably common and for some types/reigns it accounts for perhaps half of all known examples.

The Northampton Sovereign Eagles has a slightly flat obverse when compared to the reverse, but this issue is more difficult to acquire with a good clear strike. As a less common mint it is priced realistically compared to the first two.

The Hastings hammer cross is a bit of a mess and was probably from the hoard found a few years ago. MS62, but with minimal eye appeal compared to what is available and one of the commoner mints for the issue outside London. Certainly not worth an estimate of $1200-1400 when you can pick up a typically well struck Steyning for example for less than $1000 or the lower estimated Chichester coin of the same issue in the following lot which is also a bit OTT on the estimate. Chichester seems to have more than its fair share of weak strikes, so this coin ticks a lot of boxes. Chichester wasn't a mint with huge output, and both this and the following lot are reasonable examples if a tad expensive.

The York facing bust is too expensive at $1000-1200, but does at least have a good portrait.

The Winchester PAXS is in the right ballpark for the estimate, but that is probably because it only has an AU number.

Rant over.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, Rob, a bit dismal on that. Well, hammered is not my area...Surely something was not amiss?

Actually I saw very little, if nothing, for me in this one...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Actually I saw very little, if nothing, for me in this one...

I have already recycled the catalogue. There is absolutely nothing that takes my fancy in this auction.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I am surprised no one commented on the gothic crown or even the 1839 crown

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised no one commented on the gothic crown or even the 1839 crown >>

We're leaving those to all you whales Coinkat, we minnows are just looking for a decent halfpenny, or maybe a pretty shilling.
  • Options
    I thought the Victorian British Honduras copper looked nice

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wanted an 1839 crown but IMO that is just too much money these days for what it is.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.