Home Sports Talk
Options

Vikings stadium

VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
From the local papers on how the state will help pay for a portion of the stadium: "The Vikings' stadium bill proposes a 10% tax on wholesale sales of sports memorabilia anywhere in the state of Minnesota. Not just on Vikings' merchandise, either. . .rather, it will be a tax on sports merchandise licensed by pretty much any professional sports league. Everything from the NFL and Major League Baseball all the way down to things that don't have a regular presence in Minnesota, such as NASCAR and World Wrestling Entertainment"

Is this a hint of things to come in other states?

Comments

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's been done in other states as well. They always seem to find a tax to raise money, too bad they didn't go after hotels and rental cars.
  • Options
    Excellent idea...... I was just tonight sitting around thinking that Minnesota didn't have quite enough taxes. We need some more.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remind me not to rent a car or stay in a motel in Minnesota.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Seattle taxed hotels and cars within the city only to cover Safeco and Quest. Paul Allen paid a chunk of the Quest costs as well. How was Target Field paid for?
  • Options
    Funny how "a tax" sounds so much like "attacks."
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Let the Vikes pay or leave. Either is a great option.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it will be moving from Minneapolis north to Arden Hills.
  • Options

"Sounds like it will be moving from Minneapolis north to Arden Hills."

Hope this goes through. It will be 10 mins. from my house.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uh, how about Viking revenues paying for the stadium? Don't they get a nice chunk of the annual $9 billion pie?