Home Sports Talk

The Lakers are such punks!

What a disgraceful 4th quarter by that team. Bynum's cheapshot, are you kidding me? Embarrassment for a proud franchise.

Can we just call this game now?

Comments

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The Lakers throw in the towel with the best of them when facing season ending games on the road....

2004 NBA Finals: lost by 13 (wasn't even that close, the Pistons had a 23-pt lead heading to the 4th quarters)
    2006 1st Rd: lost by 31
    2007 1st Rd: lost by 9
    2008 NBA Finals: lost by 39
    2011 2nd Rd: lost by 36
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>They were total thugs. I hope Bynum gets fined an insane amount of money. >>

Good luck with that............I hope he gets double what you mentioned................make that triple insane!!!
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    If David Stern has any balls, he'll do more than just a fine. This is deserving of a long suspension by both Odom and Bynum. And its not the first time its happened this series. There have been cheap shots near the end of several games in this series.

Sunday's game looked like youth league basketball with some frustrated 12 year olds.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Some people claim that there's a woman to blame".....

There's no excuse for stupid behavior....but there are definitely big problems in that locker room!!!
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    pathetic.

Khlodom can't dance.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The Lakers are punks? I believe you need to rewatch the game. Most of the players behaved in an exemplary manner, even though they were getting theit butts kicked.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    The cheap shots at the end made them look pathetic. As a one time Laker fan, and friend of many Laker fans, I find it horrible. Glad they are not my team any more!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    It's all about karma. Bynum needs to be going up sometime next season and have an opponent throw a forearm onto his brittle knee and end his season.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Saying the Lakers are such punks is not accurate. You can say "Some of the Lakers are punks", but you are saying the entire team and organization are punks, and that isn't fair to say.

I didn't see yesterday's game so I can only go by the highlights from the news yesterday.

I can understand Bynum and Odom being frustrated, but they should take the loss like a champion and get ready for next season. What they did was inexcusable and I'm sure the NBA will address the problem. Hopefully there will be a season next year too.

I'm sure the Lakers will address the problems and get them back in contention again.

BTW, I love Magic Johnson, but he just needs to shut up!
    brian

• The entire team isn't a bunch of punks, thats obsurd. But the entire team did collapse and gave up. The Lakers have been to the Finals 7 times in 11 years. They will retool/reload, before the next season starts and/or before trade deadline. Bynum is out the door by the trade deadline at the latest. He knows it, so he threw another elbow. All this does is make sure mgmt does retool. Its not like the Laker organization needs motivation to be a title contender year after year after year, but this sure gives them some. I for one can't wait to see what happens, I look forward to another run at the title. The Laker organization always reloads, they'll be back, they always are. I've been a fan since 1979, thats 16 times in the Finals since then. These lumps are short term, not long term.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a trade of Bynum, plus draft choices, plus cash, and possibly other players from the Lakers to the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard. Then swing some way to get Chris Paul from the Hornets. Put them alongside Kobe, Gasol and some new low cost free agents, draft choices and D-League players and you will have another title contending team next year.
  • GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>How about a trade of Bynum, plus draft choices, plus cash, and possibly other players from the Lakers to the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard. Then swing some way to get Chris Paul from the Hornets. Put them alongside Kobe, Gasol and some new low cost free agents, draft choices and D-League players and you will have another title contending team next year. >>

I'd be pretty bummed if the Magic ended up with Bynum and lost Dwight in the process but I see it happening. The Magic are basically in a lose lose position no matter what. Ohhh to be a fan of small market teams.

ps- ok, maybe calling the Lakers punks as a whole was a bit much. I wanted them to win the series, but how they handled that 4th quarter and game 4 itself was an embarrassment to the organization and nobody can refute that.
  • If they do anything close to what SanctionII states, I'd be one happy fan! And Goot you are right, it was an embaressment. For various reasons, it was their turn to go down in flames, they aren't the first, they won't be the last. They'll take their lumps, recover, and come back. Maybe its good to shake the tree sometimes, see what crap falls out and get rid of it.

<< <i>How about a trade of Bynum, plus draft choices, plus cash, and possibly other players from the Lakers to the Orlando Magic for Dwight Howard. Then swing some way to get Chris Paul from the Hornets. Put them alongside Kobe, Gasol and some new low cost free agents, draft choices and D-League players and you will have another title contending team next year. >>

That was being discussed out here on our LA radio stations. Of course there isn't any substance to them yet, but you never know what will happen with the Lakers.

Brian
    It's funny to see Laker fan defending their team. Teams get reputations as thugs, punks, criminals, good guys, etc... based on the displays of some players. The Portland Trailgangsters were not all criminals but it was fun to say. Likewise if this punkish behavior continues the Lakers will have a reputation of being punks.
    let's face it "real" Lakers fans (of which i am proud to say i belong)......that was one tired, worn out group of players.

not necessary to make excuses, but wear and tear eventually will win out over pride, passion and determination.

it would be cool if they got Superman. they need a new attitude in their house, or Blake Griffin's gonna eat it.
    <<<The Portland Trailgangsters were not all criminals but it was fun to say. >>>

No, but a greater percentage were criminals than Lakers are thugs. The Jailblazers, Trailgangsters, or any other label, was far more accurate.

If you were a superstar and wanted to play in LA, wouldn't winning the Clippers 1st title have more significance than the Lakers 17th (or whatever number they are on)?? I wish Paul and Howard would join Griffin on the Clips....that would be a fun team to watch. They could fill 10 minutes on Sportcenter with highlights every night.

<< <i>It's funny to see Laker fan defending their team. Teams get reputations as thugs, punks, criminals, good guys, etc... based on the displays of some players. The Portland Trailgangsters were not all criminals but it was fun to say. Likewise if this punkish behavior continues the Lakers will have a reputation of being punks. >>

I'm not sure where u r coming from?? I'm not seeing anyone here defending Bynum or Odom's poor actions. Also, a couple incidents doesn't compare to the history of the Raiders or the Trailgansters.

-b
    Orlando may be a small market team, but look at the success they have had over the decades. They have had Shaq and Superman. They have made the playoffs many, many times and advanced deep into the playoffs, even making the finals with Shaq. They have done well in the draft (picking Shaq and Superman).

Contrast Orlando with Golden State Warriors [the team in my backyard]. GS last won a title in 1975 (36 years ago). With the exception of 2007 [when they made the playoffs as a #8 seed on the last day of the regular season and upset Dallas in round #1], they have not made the playoffs since the late 1980's or early 1990s. They have had year after year of horrible records, a coaching merry go round, terrible ownership (Chris Cohan), terrible luck in the draft [i.e. they picked Todd Fuller, a tall, white stiff who quickly washed out of the league with the #11 pick in the same draft where the Lakers drafted a kid out of high school named Kobe Bryant a few picks later in the draft], they have had a large number of players who did their prision time with GS without much fanfare, only to become repeat all stars and players on playoff and championship teams after they left GS. Yet through it all, the GS fam base is amazingly loyal and most games are sell outs.

Maybe one day GS will land a franchise big man (the next Shaq or Superman) around which to build a team that can contend for a title. The SF Bay Area is not a small market and it offers lots of nice things to do and nice places for pro athletes to live.
    Bman-
    I specifically said, "IF this punkish behavior continues" with the "if" to indicate they are NOT a team with a "punk" reputation yet but COULD, in the future, get there IF it repeats itself. What did Portland have in the 90's? 3 or 4 bad apples? It wasn't like the whole team were in jail. Plus, if a team gets a reputation then even smaller indications of the stereotype get magnified and shown to be examples of the pattern.
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I'm sick of these classless "punk" pro athletes. This crappy, undisciplined attitude is just a refection of society in general. Where's Kareem, Dr. J, and Larry Bird when we need them?
    Larry Bird was ruthless, uber competitive, a serious trash talker and supposedly not a very friendly guy when on the court. Even though he is a revered icon and an all time great player, I suspect that many of his NBA peers did not really like him much during his playing days [and in retirement].

I surely did enjoy the heck out of seeing Larry Bird [with his amazing gifts of sound, fundamental basketball mechanics and moves] simply make opposing players [many of which were faster, quicker, stronger and younger than him] look completely clueless, helpless, clumsy and ineffective when they tried to guard him.
  • "It's funny to see Laker fan defending their team. Teams get reputations as thugs, punks, criminals, good guys, etc... based on the displays of some players. The Portland Trailgangsters were not all criminals but it was fun to say. Likewise if this punkish behavior continues the Lakers will have a reputation of being punks. "

Yawn...........................

Yawn...........................

I should add "and feeling very defensive" of their team for some reason!?

I should also say I was a huge Laker fan for 35 years of life and am certainly not a Lakers hater. Just making observations that if they continue with this punkish behavior they will get a reputation. I know it doesn't matter in LA as the only thing that matters is winning championships.

<< <i>Bman-
    I specifically said, "IF this punkish behavior continues" with the "if" to indicate they are NOT a team with a "punk" reputation yet but COULD, in the future, get there IF it repeats itself. What did Portland have in the 90's? 3 or 4 bad apples? It wasn't like the whole team were in jail. Plus, if a team gets a reputation then even smaller indications of the stereotype get magnified and shown to be examples of the pattern. >>

You didn't answer my quote from ur reply,

<< <i>t's funny to see Laker fan defending their team >>

I still don't see anyone defending the bad actions of a couple Lakers.

brian
    I still don't see anyone defending the bad actions of a couple Lakers.

Maybe I mis-spoke at some point but not saying you are defending the bad actions but rather saying you are defending your team; i.e. you are defensive about your team. I would say you and Chargers are "defending" but I suppose that's just my interpretation of your words. I think your words were something like, "it's not fair" which to me sounds defensive. Doesn't matter.
  • yeah i cant stand them
  • if you were a laker fan you wouldn't be a kings fan. it was only surface deep. you never really were a laker fan. if my guess is off, then its off like your guess of me defending. and i am not interested in why you are not a laker fan anymore. when mchale closelined rambis did it change the celtics? were they ruined after that? did they become punks? no. did i mention bynum and odum in defense, no. laker haters have to ride whatever they can find, because you are right lakers win titles. if other teams won as much, there wouldn't be as many laker haters. so how is that my fault? you mispoke, i don't blame you. if i was a laker hater, i'd jump at my chance to kick the team that always wins wins wins wins and wins. i wouldn't have much to talk about otherwise with whats going on with the kings. its far better and more interesting to bash the lakers. good comments or bad comments, lakers get the attention. like i was saying the lakers organization will recover, thats what i was talking about. peace.
    if you were a laker fan you wouldn't be a kings fan. it was only surface deep. you never really were a laker fan. if my guess is off, then its off like your guess of me defending. and i am not interested in why you are not a laker fan anymore. when mchale closelined rambis did it change the celtics? were they ruined after that? did they become punks? no. did i mention bynum and odum in defense, no. laker haters have to ride whatever they can find, because you are right lakers win titles. if other teams won as much, there wouldn't be as many laker haters. so how is that my fault? you mispoke, i don't blame you. if i was a laker hater, i'd jump at my chance to kick the team that always wins wins wins wins and wins. i wouldn't have much to talk about otherwise with whats going on with the kings. its far better and more interesting to bash the lakers. good comments or bad comments, lakers get the attention. like i was saying the lakers organization will recover, thats what i was talking about. peace.

Ya, you are right! Though I spent my first 18 years of life living in West Los Angeles (Cheviot Hills to be exact) I was really a Kansas City King's fan back then. The fact that my grampa had season tickets to the Lakers and thus I went to a lot of games between 1975 and 1986 meant nothing as... yes, I was still a Kansas City King's fan and really happy when they moved to Cali in '85. Or maybe I continued to be a Laker's fan until I got season tickets for the Kings in 1997 and if you go to 30+ games a year the fans in Arco will change anybody even a die-hard LA sports fan (I do still root for the Bruins, Dodgers and even the LA Kings). I have great respect for the Laker's organization and am constantly defending them around here. I am far from a Laker's hater. Not even close.
    Cheviot Hills?!? fulla punks!!

of course, i spent my formative years in Brentwood. image
    Cheviot Hills?!? fulla punks!!

of course, i spent my formative years in Brentwood.

Hey, we could not afford Brentwood so had to slum it in Cheviot! image

I probably bumped into you while setting high scores on Pac-Man at Westworld back in the day!

<< <i>
    Ya, you are right! Though I spent my first 18 years of life living in West Los Angeles (Cheviot Hills to be exact) I was really a Kansas City King's fan back then. The fact that my grampa had season tickets to the Lakers and thus I went to a lot of games between 1975 and 1986 meant nothing as... yes, I was still a Kansas City King's fan and really happy when they moved to Cali in '85. Or maybe I continued to be a Laker's fan until I got season tickets for the Kings in 1997 and if you go to 30+ games a year the fans in Arco will change anybody even a die-hard LA sports fan (I do still root for the Bruins, Dodgers and even the LA Kings). I have great respect for the Laker's organization and am constantly defending them around here. I am far from a Laker's hater. Not even close. >>

That explains a lot! U were never really a Laker's fan. lol U just rode with them during some great years and jumped over to the Kings when it looked like they were going to win it all!! LOL

Even though u r not a Lakers fan, u still like the Bruins and the Dodgers, which is OK in my book.

b
    That explains a lot! U were never really a Laker's fan. lol U just rode with them during some great years and jumped over to the Kings when it looked like they were going to win it all!! LOL

I know you are joking. The funny things is the two years I had full season tickets to the Sac King's were the two years they REALLY sucked... right BEFORE they got J-will, C-web, Vlade, etc.... They were HORRIBLE the years I went to 30+ games a year. They actually made the playoffs (a big deal up here) a year or two before that and lost in the first round to Seattle. However, they sucked when I went to most of the games. We called it "Play 2." Give the ball to #2 (Mitch Richmond) and get out of the way. He was awesome but the rest of the team was horrible. I gave up my full season and started going to less games and they got really good. When you live in Sac the Kings are the main topic of sports radio, the sports section of the newspaper, water cooler talk, etc.... It's just easier to be a fan than a hater.
    <<<The lakers throw in the towel with the best of them when facing season ending games on the road....

2004 NBA Finals: lost by 13 (wasn't even that close, the Pistons had a 23-pt lead heading to the 4th quarters)
    2006 1st Rd: lost by 31
    2007 1st Rd: lost by 9
    2008 NBA Finals: lost by 39
    2011 2nd Rd: lost by 36>>>

Now we can add 2012 2nd Rd: lost by 16.