Home Sports Talk
Options

Why can't the Kings go to Louisville instead of Anaheim? LA does NOT need a 3rd team :P

EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
I've just recently heard rumors that the Sacramento Kings are itching to move, and that just like the Grizzlies, Louisville was on their short list, but of all the places they could move to, why ANAHEIM??? Frankly I don't understand how the Clippers stay in business (they're very seldom a good team and they've always been overshadowed by the Lakers) and now they may get ANOTHER team in the LA area??? What a waste!

C'mon, Kentucky would be PERFECT for an NBA franchise (seeing as how the ABA Colonels were very popular and only just missed the merger). And nobody complained about the Colonels (who among others had Dan Issel) trying to overshadow the Cats. An MLB team would be even better still but the Reds are in firm control over the Louisville and Lexington areas so there's virtually no chance of that happening. image
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    You already have a couple of "pro" basketball teams in Kentucky. In Sac they are the ONLY game in town! If they are going to move it will be to a bigger market which is more appealing to the top free agents (i.e. the OC). Moving to Kentucky is a lateral move from Sac. They will move but it won't be KY. Plus, what do you mean you heard a rumor!? It's practically the only thing the Sac Bee has talked about for the past two months. I imagine some of those articles made it beyond Sacramento.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<You already have a couple of "pro" basketball teams in Kentucky.>>>image
  • Options
    Orange County has over twice the population of Sacramento County. It almost always comes down to numbers.

You are right it comes down to numbers. Though I do not want the Kings to leave Sacramento, from a business perspective I get it. Though the fans in Sac were really supportive for a very long time it's still a small arena, with few luxury boxes, less fans to buy jerseys, and almost zero corporate support. Though I love living here we do not have the big corporations that cities of this size normally have. We have state workers... and a lot of them! State workers do not buy high dollar tickets, do not rent luxury boxes, and do not spend on arena signage. The move to Anaheim makes good business sense and, absent a miracle, the move will happen a year from now. However, a month ago I didn't think there was a chance they would still be here now so maybe a miracle will happen and they can build a new arena in Sac but not likely as the economy is horrible here right now. In particular there is no government money to spend and that's needed for a new arena. Having said all that, I have to say that Mayor KJ has done an amazing job to keep the Kings one more year and I expect to see him moving up the political ranks!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I'm cautiously optimistic that an arena can be built here (Sacrament) eventually and it sounds to me like the politicians in Sacramento and the surrounding communities are finally on board with it. But whether the citizens will support the cause through taxes or investors will step up to help fund it remains my primary concern.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, however, is that in spite of the OC's population advantage, I'm pretty sure that the Lakers and Clippers are adamantly opposing the Kings relocation to Anaheim as it would dilute their market.
  • Options
    san diego would be a better destination in my opinion. the clippers has had many opportunities to brand themselves as distinctly as possible from the lakers...including moving to anaheim when they were partially sharing the pond with the ducks back in the 90's....but, sterling is all about money and profit...he could care less the clippers are second fiddle to the lakers, as long as he keeps getting profits from sharing staples. one of the absolute worst owners in the history of sports.
  • Options
    San Diego would make better sense; seeing as how they have both MLB and NFL teams.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>san diego would be a better destination in my opinion. the clippers has had many opportunities to brand themselves as distinctly as possible from the lakers...including moving to anaheim when they were partially sharing the pond with the ducks back in the 90's....but, sterling is all about money and profit...he could care less the clippers are second fiddle to the lakers, as long as he keeps getting profits from sharing staples. one of the absolute worst owners in the history of sports. >>

And he doesn't even care about a little detail called WINNING??? Whereas the Lakers have 17 championships and 32 conference pennants, the Clippers have only appeared in the Conference Semis once. Doesn't Sterling care that his trophy case is dusty inside? image Just so long as he is (somehow) rolling in the dough. image

As much as people hated Steinbrenner, at least he was hungry for championships. image
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To put this into a more comparative perspective:

1 NBA Teams - 1.4 M population - Sacramento County

0 NBA Teams - 3.0 M population - Orange County (includes Anaheim)

2 NBA Teams - 9.9 M population - Los Angeles County >>

Metro New York has 17 million. From that perspective, it makes more sense to put a 3rd team in Newark (after the Nets move to Brooooooklyn).
  • Options
    Better yet, how about returning the Kings to Kansas City? They have a spanking new state of the art arena with no pro team.
  • Options
    Better yet, how about returning the Kings to Kansas City? They have a spanking new state of the art arena with no pro team.

I have heard that arena in KC is beautiful. In fact, I have heard Kansas City mentioned over the last couple years as a possible destination if the Kings were to move. Haven't heard it lately though. I think they would do very well there... similar to OKC. However, I am hoping they stay here in Sac. Having almost lost the team I think there is new energy here to work to keep them. Might not work out but people in Sac are going to do what they can. I haven't had season tickets since '98 and I think I might get them again; well, I may split the season with a friend and go to half the games. It's now our civic duty, in Sac, to go to games, spend money at the arena, etc....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>To put this into a more comparative perspective:

1 NBA Teams - 1.4 M population - Sacramento County

0 NBA Teams - 3.0 M population - Orange County (includes Anaheim)

2 NBA Teams - 9.9 M population - Los Angeles County >>

Metro New York has 17 million. From that perspective, it makes more sense to put a 3rd team in Newark (after the Nets move to Brooooooklyn). >>

Well first off, I believe the owners have their main business interest in Las Vegas, making a West Coast team ideal. That aside, Orange Country is much more affluent than the Newark area in every way. My understanding is that Newark is one of the poorest and uneducated bigger cities in America. >>

As you probably know, Northern NJ has a plethora of affluent towns. You don't really think only Newark residents go to the NJPAC do you? image
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Let's face it... the Kings are just the wandering nomads of the sports world. They've played in Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Omaha, and Sacramento. So far. And now they are looking to move. Well, what a shock. I am thinking the Southeast. Why? Because they haven't been there yet. And traditionally, they only go to places that haven't had a team in the NBA before, so this rules out San Diego. Plus, two moves ago they moved to a place that already had a team with their name, so they had to change the name to something similar. Since the Kansas City Royals were already the baseball team, they became the Kings. So, we need a city that has a team with a regal sounding name already that they can't use. Well, it has to be Birmingham, which has the Birmingham Barons. So, we will have the Birmingham Monarchs, or the Birmingham Subjugators. Oh, that has a ring. The Birmingham Subjugators. And we can just call them the "Subs". And they can play in the Quizno's Arena.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's face it... the Kings are just the wandering nomads of the sports world. They've played in Rochester, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Omaha, and Sacramento. So far. And now they are looking to move. Well, what a shock. I am thinking the Southeast. Why? Because they haven't been there yet. And traditionally, they only go to places that haven't had a team in the NBA before, so this rules out San Diego. Plus, two moves ago they moved to a place that already had a team with their name, so they had to change the name to something similar. Since the Kansas City Royals were already the baseball team, they became the Kings. So, we need a city that has a team with a regal sounding name already that they can't use. Well, it has to be Birmingham, which has the Birmingham Barons. So, we will have the Birmingham Monarchs, or the Birmingham Subjugators. Oh, that has a ring. The Birmingham Subjugators. And we can just call them the "Subs". And they can play in the Quizno's Arena. >>

Let us have the Whalers back, and then the nomadic Kings can move to Raleigh, and the 'Canes can be an NBA team.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Nobody gets the Canes back. We don't want an NBA team here. Raleigh is a college town. And a hockey town now.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.